Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
silverado 6.2 vs denali 6.2 owners and/or opinions >

silverado 6.2 vs denali 6.2 owners and/or opinions

Notices

silverado 6.2 vs denali 6.2 owners and/or opinions

Old 06-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado 6.2 vs denali 6.2 owners and/or opinions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought a 88 baja 265 force and am now in the market for a truck. I have been looking online and researching and just wanted to hear some owners opinions or what you guys thought. Im gonna go drive some other trucks this week and hope to drive one of these as well. I have also been looking at newer tundras and even 2500 duramaxes but as of now leaning more toward the silverado 6.2 if I can find one close for a good price. Towing is a little bit of a factor but my familys lake house is only 1 mile from the lake so for the most part towing wont be a factor. I have heard they are bad on gas but none of the trucks will be good so just have to deal with it. Thanks for any info or opinions
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Yukon with the 6.2, and it's got plenty of power. A night and day difference over my 5.3 Avalanche.

Mine is AWD, and on the highway, I can get between 17-18, which is within a mile of my Avy. Where it suffers is around town...with wifey driving it's usually around the 13 mark.

I wouldn't be afraid to tow your Baja with it, as the "Vortec Max" option on the Silverado's is rated for 10k lbs. The Denali Sierra is less though, I think around 8500 (same as my Denali Yukon)

I believe the 2009 and up "Vortec Max" optioned Silverados have the 6.2 with the 6 speed tranny whereas the previous models are 6.0's with the 4 speed.

Originally Posted by ckcgobigblue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought a 88 baja 265 force and am now in the market for a truck. I have been looking online and researching and just wanted to hear some owners opinions or what you guys thought. Im gonna go drive some other trucks this week and hope to drive one of these as well. I have also been looking at newer tundras and even 2500 duramaxes but as of now leaning more toward the silverado 6.2 if I can find one close for a good price. Towing is a little bit of a factor but my familys lake house is only 1 mile from the lake so for the most part towing wont be a factor. I have heard they are bad on gas but none of the trucks will be good so just have to deal with it. Thanks for any info or opinions
Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Toyota Tundra Crew max limited with the 5.7 and 6 speed. Tows my 38 fountain great with the toyota "tow max"
package which is a class V hitch, giant mirrors, and air bags, I have never had to use the air bags. Much better gas mileage than the 6.0l GM I used to have, which was a pig. Fit and finish on this truck far exceeds any Ford, Dodge or GM I have ever owned, and I have had a lot of them. 10.5 inch rear end, and bigger brakes than my friends GM 3500 duramax. The toyo is a 3/4 ton by others standards. I suggest you drive them all and find one that fits you.

Getting 15 city and 19 hwy unloaded. Just a great truck all around with lots neat goodies like a back up cam, full vehicle sonar, nav, sunroof and the entire rear window goes down.

Cons of the truck IMO are the "car tires" that it comes with, and the fact that it does not feel like a truck when you are driving it....I miss my Super Duty cause it felt like a "truck" but maybe too much sometimes.

I have heard good things about the new gm 6.2 and I think most of it has to do with the 6 speed tranny it is tied to. Even the 6.0l would have did better with more gears IMO
Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, what's the weight on your Lightning?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
Just curious, what's the weight on your Lightning?
If I tell you are you going to tell me I need an 18 wheeler to haul it?

listed as 8950 dry, if this thing felt anything but safe I would not do it. I have to give a lot credit to the Myco trailer as well, you really forget it is there once you are cruising. No bobbing, pulling or swaying. I have even given it evasive tests, stable and safe.

Feels better than my 36 OL felt behind my SRW F350 diesel, which was on a cheap trailer that baja supplied.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Registered

Nope, not at all. I was just curious. My Advantage weighs around 8K dry and with the trailer and a full tank of gas I would guess around 11500-12000. My 2500 Duramax handles it like a breeze! You are a lot safer than alot of things I have seen on the road...
Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
Nope, not at all. I was just curious. My Advantage weighs around 8K dry and with the trailer and a full tank of gas I would guess around 11500-12000. My 2500 Duramax handles it like a breeze! You are a lot safer than alot of things I have seen on the road...
I had an 02 GMC duramax crew, leather, loaded I bought new. Loved that truck, but the first two years (01 and 02) had terrible injector problems. GM kept replacing them up until bout 04 when they tried blaming everyone else. The dealer quoted me just under $8k to replace all the injectors at 37k miles because GM was refusing to...the same injectors they had been replacing every 6 months the first twi years I owned it.

GM later lost a class action suit, in 2006 I believe. By then I was the owner of a new ford diesel, and I wasn't paid because I put aftermarket injectors in mine.

As much as I loved that truck, and the trans, I couldn't by another at the time, I was too pissed off.

Now that diesel approaches $5 a gallon in NY, and the newer emmision trucks are not getting the 20 mpg that they used to in the past, I'll be gas from here forward, well at least unitl I get the next boat
Old 06-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered

I know what you mean. For the first two years I owned this truck it was one thing after another. FICM, injector harness (twice), EGR valve, and a few other things. Of course this was all under warranty but they still left me stranded a couple times. Now I hope all that mess is behind me, with a little over 70K miles on the ticker, she runs like a champ. I sure like that low end torque. I plan on dying with this truck (just not in it!).
Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Registered

mechanically I would think they are the same. Just depends on your needs and wants for different bells and whistles. Personally I would rather have 4x4 vs AWD.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
If I tell you are you going to tell me I need an 18 wheeler to haul it?

listed as 8950 dry, if this thing felt anything but safe I would not do it. I have to give a lot credit to the Myco trailer as well, you really forget it is there once you are cruising. No bobbing, pulling or swaying. I have even given it evasive tests, stable and safe.

Feels better than my 36 OL felt behind my SRW F350 diesel, which was on a cheap trailer that baja supplied.
I tow my 29 fever with an ecoboost which is rated at 11,300 which more than that toyota. Boat weighs 7 dry. To each his own but I cant imagine towing any bigger with a half ton. Although Im not a diesel fist pumper either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.