Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Oversized brakes on 3500 dually ??????? >

Oversized brakes on 3500 dually ???????

Notices

Oversized brakes on 3500 dually ???????

Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
An 8,000# truck is not going to stop like a 3k sports car (especially without a lot of work) but if general slow speed is an issue, there may be an under lying problem.
Have you compared your brake feel of a new truck?

I dont know when they switched from rear drum to disc but have heard with the drum brakes; driving backward and braking several times over the course of say, a block can tighten drums.

Another suggestion would be to flush the brake/steering system. The fluid is shared by both systems and is subjected to Extreme heat with the Hydroboost. It is a hydraulic fluid that is hydroscopic which will lose some of its properties and has likely never been changed?? People often fail to think of any other fluid than oil and sometimes trans.
Look for a shop that uses BG Equipment. It is designed to do a complete fluid exchange and clean a system, not just drain and fill like many shops. (it is also safe for your Allison trans which should not be "power flushed")

There is an issue. The linings are crystallized from the previous owner towing at or above full rating without trailer brakes. The rotors are warped and the brakes are noisey due to the glazed surface. I put the truck in 4x4 Low range to crawl it up on some blocks and I have to take the trans out of gear to stop the truck. That is bad.

My expectation for the brakes is that they should be close to my 2500 Sierra that had about the same size rotors and hydra boost. I never had any trouble out of that truck at all but I never towed without trailer brakes. I take that back; I did tow an overloaded trailer once for my brother. Still I kept the pedal pressure very normal and used longer distance to stop so I didn't abuse my brakes and the truck did great.

I wonder if the output of the hydra boost is weakened from the constant crushing pedal pressure the PO must have used?

If I put new linings on the truck I'm sure it would be much improved but since the 2012 has larger brakes with the 31.8" tires and I'm changing to 32" tires I think this truck should have larger brakes too. Since I'm changing the brakes I can make mine larger and stronger than the 2012 just to meet or exceed and I'll feel good about it.

Last edited by aquaforce; 06-23-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Bringing this up to the top.

I seized a front caliper while towing this summer, due to a panic stop getting cut off in DC in traffic. It released when it cooled off a bit, but not before I limped into the closest Ford dealer and bought a full set of calipers and pads to continue my road trip. I did not end up installing them, but it was good peace of mind to have the parts.

Now in the off season, I'd like to upgrade braking on the front of my 2000 Ford F-350 Dually.
Bigger calipers?
Bigger rotors?
Cross drilled rotors?

Looking for any and all input here. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Baer makes a nice slotted and drilled replacement rotor. That and a set of EBC pads will give you better braking/less fade without going to oversized rotors and a bigger/more piston caliper. Complete upgrade packages get pretty pricey.

http://www.decelarotor.com/
Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Baer makes a nice slotted and drilled replacement rotor. That and a set of EBC pads will give you better braking/less fade without going to oversized rotors and a bigger/more piston caliper. Complete upgrade packages get pretty pricey.

http://www.decelarotor.com/
Since I had a caliper issue, I wonder if that will still keep heat down in the caliper?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

I wish Brentz was still around. I chased 2 sets of used Brentz on eBay, but they both sold for too much money.
I have a few sets of Brentz for sale, still new in the box, and various replacements if you know anyone with a set with a messed up wheel. Stumbled across them in storage.