Notices

Side by Side UTV

Old 06-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by wananewboat
Can any of them be made street legal?
Yes , but only certain states allow this . Pa. is not one of them...
Old 06-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they are legal in California, not sure about other States, I know "up here" they are pretty much illegal everywhere [like anything else thats remotely fun!] But, in the more rural area's the police generally "look the other way" as long as you aren't driving like a moron.

THANKS for the input guys! I am digesting it now and will keep you posted on what I decide, and I might post another question or two, feel free to keep input coming, and THANKS again!

Michael
Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by wananewboat
Can any of them be made street legal?
This is a bit of a derail but it a tidbit about differences in the world... we spend a lot of time in Germany and there are a lot of ATV's over there (cheaper on Gas + giggle factor).

Crazy thing to see is that ATV's are TOTALLY banned from operating off road there. So you see people running tricked out quads and side by sides with full motocross gear running down the roads with stock tires worn bald. It's almost as common as seeing a Harley out for a cruise!

On the home front, we occasionally run our Rhino on the back roads going to the neighbours and what not, but we run with helmets, seat belts and the machine is plated. We have been stopped by the police and the MNR (same as DNR in some states) No problems - same as a spot check with a car - DL, Ins and Reg.
Could be just the officers we have been checked by being decent with us or the fact that we are sober. Apparently we have one of the largest DUI areas in the province for people cutting grass drinking or being picked up on beer runs with their Lawn tractors
Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use several JD gators at work of different years/models and all of them are tough as nails. We've had mules and kabota's as well, but they did not seem to hold up as well as the gators have. For what it sounds like you are going to use it for, the Gator will last you for a long, long time.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

Hands down the best performance model is the Polaris razor...they have a few models to suit any needs. Owned them snce 08 when they came out and let me tell you this is the thing I have had the most fun with in my entire life all year long...I dont think you can go wrong w one. Of course there are cheaper models out there...there are models that hold more farm cargo but the Polaris razor is of perf nature and can hold any boat gear i can think of as well as be comfortable doing so...when your not boating you can plow the driveway or take the kids out 4x4 in the snow!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have a Polaris RZR and it will go anywhere. I also got the fever when I first got it and it has just about every available aftermarket part....HID's, windshield, brush guards, snorkled, roof with satellite radio and Ipod, heater/defrosters for the winter when it has the snowplow attached. Surprisingly they even have a 1500# tow capacity. The downside to them, not sure about newer ones, is the air filter system. I have an air cleaner assembly from Dragonfire racing that actually keeps dirt out of the engine.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 AM
10M
Registered

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Commander. Best of both worlds. Good payload, great suspension and decent sport performance.
+1, definately look into Can-Am, and drive one if you can.

OP is from Canada, so you're probably aware of BRP's reputation for quality, performance, and popularity. I've ridden them all. As mentioned the Deere/Mule/Rhino are more work oriented, RZR is almost purely sport, with little cargo capacity.

Commander is 85HP, (I've had it to 75MPH) has a dual-box bed that dumps, good weight/towing capacities, and handles like a rally car at high speeds. New ones have power steering, and a limitless book of bolt-on options.

Here's a couple videos from last December:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DciOH...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...skRpKATow&NR=1

Last edited by 10M; 07-26-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered

Thanks Guys! I appreciate all the input! Looks like Polaris is gonna be my choice, I really like the Can Am/Bombardier but the are WAY too expensive, typical Canadians, lol!!

Thanks again!

Michael
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I've worked on a bunch of them, razors and can ams seem to be the best built.
Here's a kawasaki i built for my buddy, big bore kint vent racing clutch, custom roll cage I did, shocks out of a monster edition bead locks etc. $8,000 for the machine $9,000 in upgrades lol
Attached Thumbnails Side by Side UTV-30206_119880004718806_100000904200619_102396_6795602_n.jpg   Side by Side UTV-25534_109787029061437_100000904200619_63581_1110450_n.jpg  
Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Registered

I have a Can-am and love it. You should really think it over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.