Notices

To Upgrade My Trailer or Not

Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts
Default To Upgrade My Trailer or Not

Ok, I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading the trailer for my Donzi. I have a decent aluminum Loadmaster under it now but because I store it on the trailer and when I do tow it is long distance, I would like the security and solidity of a C-channel trailer custom fit for the boat.

That said, who has what and can give some feedback on their Myco, Manning, Etc. Pros/Cons, prices, Etc.

I am definitely looking for a welded aluminum trailer, with a drive guard, LED lights, spare tires, Etc.

Also, what do you think a real world price would be for my 2003 Loadmaster w/ Aluminum wheels, torsion axles, dual spares, all recently gone through and in very good shape?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom talk to wrinkleface about his new Myco and even go read his thread. Myco should have fixxed his problems long ago but they are not stepping up to the plate on this one. Bunch of BS on a brand new trailer.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've had my personal 37AT on both types of trailers, aluminum bolt together I-beam and now a Myco welded C-channel. The bolt together trailer offers no pro other than cost and a slight weight advantage. The Myco is built laser straight, and you can tell this by watching the tire wear over time.

I've also loaded dozens of 37ATs on dozens of trailers. The Myco wins hands down. It loads right, every time. The bunk trailers have a tendency to miss on the back of the boat, and the boat lands off the designated chine/contact point. I've never had this happen on a Myco. EoH brakes is a must, even though Tracy is having issues with his.

Your trailer is worth at least $3000.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Brian.
When my Friend Bob owned Typhoon Performance Marine, they were a Donzi/Cigarette/Baja dealer and they worked with many different trailers. As you said Myco's were always top notch, but they also got real nice stuff from Manning. Seemed that most of the high end Donzis went out on them.

Ok, aside from Tracy's brake problems, there is no other feedback, information, or prices people can give me?

I guess what I am curious about is:

1. Real world "out the door" prices
2. Other manufacturers that I may not be thinking about
3. Long term ownership issues/problems

I know Myco is "king" and respect their product 110%.
I also know that there are a couple others equal or almost equally as good.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered a loadmaster bridged c-channel in painted steel. Triple axle, upgraded wheels, led, dual jacks.. $12k new. That's steel though, but just to give an idea of price difference.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have 3 friends that ordered brand new Mannings, under 32 Sunny Dominator, 32 Sunny SS, and a 33AT.

I would say Manning's trailers are 98% of Myco's.
What's the other 2% you ask?

I don't like the bow stand as much on the Manning. They used wood blocks covered in carpet vs. the soft grey poly used on Myco. Also, the winch stand on one of the Sunny trailers rusted up within a few months and had to be blasted and repainted.

From what I am told, Manning is somewhere around 85-90% of the price of Myco on comparable trailers.

McClain also builds a welded aluminum C-channel trailer, but IMHO, they have a ways to go to compete with Myco and Manning in quality. A friend has one under a 37AT, and it's had to have some welds redone and reinforced, that looked less than stellar when the trailer was new even. I had a bolted together I-beam aluminum trailer from McClain which came under my boat. It was a LOT better than my Rocket trailer from years ago (Rocket is truly bottom of the barrel), but it was similar in quality to the rest of the bolt together trailers. That said, I REALLY like my Myco.

Also, Myco will build you an Aluminum C-channel trailer that is sanded, prepped, primed, and painted; and looks as good or better than a steel trailer, being painted to match your boat. That there is some high dollar add to the cost of the trailer. I do believe Manning will do the same for you.

When you start to nickel and dime the trailer manufacturers together in a bidding war, they are going to have to skimp somewhere to be competitive. The quality of the lights installed, the number of cross beams, thickness of cross beams, wheel and tire "caliber" are all things that can be ratcheted up and down, often without the consumer noticing until long after delivery.

When I am consulting someone who is buying a boat from AT, and they ask me about trailers...
1) I only recommend aluminum for weight, longevity, and resale audience.
2) I relate it purchasing tools:

You've got Snap-On and Craftsman at the top of the list. {Myco and Manning}
You've got Wal*Mart and Harbor Freight at the bottom of the list. {Rocket at the bottom, and the rest of the bolt-together aluminum trailers start from there and go up.}
Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my Manning it was almost 1/2 what Myco wanted. Very happy with it had to do a real fast stop Friday coming down a mountain and had a tractor trailer jackknife right next to me. Trailer stayed strait and did not sway, glad I had "too much" truck.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

Love my Manning, but have to agree w Sydwayz-- the bow stop needs better design.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

If you decide to sell your trailer I would be interested in talking to you about it. I need something to handle a 39'.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks guys.

Great info so far!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.