Notices

Glad I had too much truck

Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glad I had too much truck

Last Friday was heading upstate NY for a poker run on I-80 coming down a mountain in the rain entering a turn traffic was stopped!!!!!!! There was no one in front of me so never got the warning of brake lights from slowing, had no were to go, nailed the brakes once the trailer brakes came on knew I was going to be ok truck stopped great. The ABS was going off like crazy but both truck and trailer stayed strait. Once I was stopped watched a tractor trailer almost jackknife next to me,trailer was at about a 45 deg angle. I have no idea how his trailer did not hit my boat.

Never had to do that towing, glad I was in a truck capable of towing the weight of my boat.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AND glad you maintain your trailer! Good to see you made it out ok...
Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shag555
AND glad you maintain your trailer! Good to see you made it out ok...

Yup, when the trailer brakes grabbed it was like someone grabbed the back of the truck.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

But according to a lot pof people, you can pull a 47' fountain with a ford ranger because its capable of getting the wheels rolling.... Good wake up call, thanks for sharing it...
Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Never had to do that towing, glad I was in a truck capable of towing the weight of my boat.
You have it wrong, it was "glad I was in a truck capable of stopping the weight of my boat", towing is the easy part, stopping is the hard part! Glad you're OK
Old 07-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Registered

AGREED! I see idiots on the highway ALL the time pulling huge boats or giant RV's and fifth wheel trailers, I look at it this way, I can hitch my 2002 Chevy Tracker to my boat and haul it all over my lawn, does that mean I can sail down the Highway at 60MPH safely? NOPE!!!

Last year I was visiting my parents in Algonquin park when I guy rolled in with a 24 FOOT camper trailer on the back of a Monte Carlo SS!!! When I asked him if he thought it was "OK?" to tow a trailer that big with the car? He said "Its the Intimidator edition, the dealer said it would be fine" I remember thinking "Your probably gonna end up like Earnhardt too! I just hope he doesn't hurt anyone else"

Got me thinking though, I wonder how many people buy trucks/trailers/boats based on what a salesman tells him? Think about it, you have a salesman looking to move 60K worth or boat or RV and the "buyer" doesn't want to have to buy a new, or bigger tow vehicle, well, there are plenty of salesmen out there who would tell him that his "current" tow vehicle would be fine, kinda scary!

GLAD you got the rigged stopped ok, and where smart enough to have "enough" truck for the boat you tow!

Michael
Old 07-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Registered

Default You gotta catch a break

Or Brakes
Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bet it was a few tense moments. Were you by yourself or have passengers? Did you have to clean up the truck after that stop?

We all know the internet and salesmen are always right
Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
You have it wrong, it was "glad I was in a truck capable of stopping the weight of my boat", towing is the easy part, stopping is the hard part! Glad you're OK
Correct, should have worded it differently
Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Bet it was a few tense moments. Were you by yourself or have passengers? Did you have to clean up the truck after that stop?

Was alone, really did not think about it much till a few days later. Then started thinking this could have been real bad. Boat was loaded with fuel also. Truck seats were fine I have had guns pointed at me I stay kinda calm in tense situations. The worse part would have been if the tractor trailer next to me had hit the tanker in front of him, don't know what was in it but pretty sure it was not milk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.