Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Do those deer warning sirens work??? >

Do those deer warning sirens work???

Notices

Do those deer warning sirens work???

Old 07-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Do those deer warning sirens work???

Those little things you stick on your front bumper....Coming home last night with the boat on at 11:30 pm last night full darkness, rollin about 65 on a two laner when a deer darted out to the side of the road then stopped, scared the chit out of me....dont really have much of a deer problem around here but I dont even want to go there.....do any of those devices work?

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 07-30-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I think they are a gimmick. I live in the country with deer everywhere, usually some in my yard every day. One year I hit 7 of them, none for the past 5-6 years though. They are unpredictable at best, and stupid the rest of the time.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered

I find a zero dollar deductible worked best for me
Old 07-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

^^^^^^ What he said!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Thats a good question, I have seen them years ago on everyones truck, haven't seen them in forever though, not sure they still sell them? We used to joke that we were going to get a real beater truck and put the sirens on backwards and that the deer would run out in front of us and we would hunt them with the truck!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

i drive around with my v-plow on all year,,it just push's them out of the way,somtimes it 2 pieces..never had a clame...they expload when i have the plow in the scoop position..
Old 07-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them on the front of my truck years ago, tons of deer on the Island where we boat/cottage and I never hit one, having said that I have NO way of knowing if I would have hit one WITHOUT the sirens?

Its a good question though, I have a pile of guys who live/hunt in Northern Ontario, will ask them if they work and let ya know

Michael
Old 07-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I lived in Iowa throughout the 80's I was told that the chrome ones worked but the others did not. I didn't use them because of my doubt.
The county I live in in Georgia once claimed that the #1 cause of death on roads here were deer strikes.
Some hunting magazines carried articles that claimed the deer are so perceptive of their own speed and obstacles in their path that they would never run into a vehicle unless they were blinded by light or confused by noisy deer whistles and horns. OF course there are plenty of stories that might seem otherwise so who knows.

Supposedly the best defense is to just maintain speed and try not to alarm the deer. HUH there are stories again that seem otherwise.

Who knows.
Good luck.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

I have a friend who actually hit a deer with those things on her car!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 34 Posts

Back 20 years ago when they were big, we always got a big laugh at all the deer hits in the bodyshop with the deer whistle's on them. I vote no!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.