Notices

Side by Side UTV

Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side by Side UTV

Hey Guys

My cottage is about an acre from my dock, now that I am getting older [fatter/lazier] its getting to be a pain to haul "boat gear" back and forth. I also have a few neighbours I like to visit using trails/rural roads, so, I have decided to look at a "side by side" UTV, I had 4 wheelers in the past, but, the side by sides are easier to get in and out of and I like the idea of the dump box for gear.

Any recommendations? My intended usage will be pretty tame, no serious off roading, so, I dont need anything built to plow deep into the woods to haul the bullet riddled carcass of a 2000lb deer or moose, lol

However, the trails and "roads?" around our cottage aren't exactly Interstate highways, so, I need something much tougher than a golf cart.

Been looking at Gators, Rhino's, etc.
As well as some of the crap ass Offshore stuff, which look to be pretty good for what I need, and cheap, but, I am not a real fan of supporting the "Wal Marts of the powersports world"

Any input appreciated! Thanks!

Michael
Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

We have an '09 Rhino 700 Special Edition - its been a good machine with no problems. Just changed everything over to Amsoil and run high test in it and it always runs like the day we picked it up. Easy to service as well. Mostly stock other than the tires and K&N.

It had a recall early where they removed the rear sway bar and put a widening kit on the rear tires to improve roll over stability. We put the same block kit on the fronts an it made a huge improvement crawling over rock and all for stability - but ya' can get pretty dirty with the tires flicking mud back at the occupants even with the flares on the body panels ..

The upgraded shocks on the SE's are worth every penny as it is totally tunable. We went with 2" larger tires for more Ground clearance... and we have dragged out an 1100lb and a 900lb bull moose out in one piece with it - LOL. Wife likes the roof and the windshield.

Some of the Rhino's apparently had an issue with the clutches - needed more rpm to engage over a properly functioning one - Haven't come across it with ours but it can happen to them all I would imagine. Just something to ask about when shopping...

With any side by side, if you are getting a winch (recommended) BIGGER is definitely better. I have a warn RT40 (4000lb) and it works smartly. When I ran a demo at a dealer, it had a 3000lb winch and it would stall out with a touch of the brake which translated to me that I would be digging out of a mud hole. Synthetic rope/winch cable is almost a must. We do not go mud bogging or the like, just running the trails on or property our the back roads here.

The neighbor has the John Deer Gator - more purpose built for working on their farm with... not so much top end speed but will crawl over everything and is better on gas than the 700. If I was shopping again I would also look at the Can-Am side by sides.

One thing I would suggest - I had our box sprayed with Line X liner - worth every penny and looks 100% new - just power wash it out.

A fellow down the road has a Polaris and his box looks beat and is bleeding rust in the seams - never actually looked too much at it or any Polaris so I can't really give an opinion on it - just heard to watch out for their financing programs.. 1st year is apparently financed through Polaris at given rate then it is turned over to another company who charges different rates - as I said though, it is only what I have only heard.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My dad has an Arctic Cat and loves it on the farm. He was using a Cushman but the Arctic Cat is so much better at everything mentioned and smoother than the Cushman.

Both Arctic Cat and Polaris are ALL AMERICAN made now. Some time around 2004 or 5 they both dumped the import power they had been using and built there own. There has been a curve of development weaknesses that are nearly all resolved now.
The Arctic Cat shows larger displacement engines but the Polaris shows higher ratings for tow and haul.

I have a preference for the Polaris.

Good luck and show us what you get.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

im in the same boat!! my!this is what im doing...first i quit smoking,then i got my fat ass to the gym,im on the ducan diet and lost 10 lbs in the last week..im shooting to loose 80 more lbs which should make me feel like im in my 20's again..
just to give you something to think about,never too old to get back in shape..
Old 06-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Polaris Rangers are nice and will do the job
Old 06-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

I bought a 660 Rhino in 05 and have used it heavily for work and play and have had no problems . This machine will do what ever you ask of it . The Can-Ams are very nice also but pricey .
Old 06-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

My father just purchased a new Gator for his farm. Its the big model and seems to have great power and ride. Not near as sporty as a rhino adn such but decent speed (40's) and pleasing ashetically to me.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Commander. Best of both worlds. Good payload, great suspension and decent sport performance.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

we drive kawasaki mule's at work. Not as fast as the others. Made more for working, I'm on my 4th one now and the new ones are very nice, fuel injected, power steering.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Can any of them be made street legal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.