Notices

2012 Silverado leveling keys

Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Silverado leveling keys

Does anyone have any experiences with leveling keys on a chevy or GMC truck with torsion bar suspension? Just want to hear some opions before I go out and buy them.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Donzi Andy
Does anyone have any experiences with leveling keys on a chevy or GMC truck with torsion bar suspension? Just want to hear some opions before I go out and buy them.
1500 i use the spacers,,they have front coil over shocks,,work great..
2500 have you tryed to tighten the bars first? i usually go 4 turns,gives you 2 ''..doesnt make the front end nose dive when you slam on the brakes as well..
Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about the new trucks but the older ones you can use a ford key.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends how much "level" you want.

I have 305/55/20 tires on a 2012 HD3500 SRW 4x4 and tightening the torsion bars was enough. I bought the keys but didn't end up needing them. Let me know if you want a set still in the box

You will need either longer front shocks or shock spacers between the top of the shock and the shock mount, otherwise the shock tops out and makes the ride harsh. I used the spacers until Bilstein gets around to actually shipping their 2012 shocks.

Don't get sold on the upper control arms due to the balljoint angle sales pitch. And be sure to leave enough gap between the bottom of the upper control arm and the droop stop on the chassis just outboard of the inner bushing or you will hate the ride. I have about 3/8" at that point which gives a height to the bottom of the fender arch of 42-1/2" vertical above the wheel center on that size tire.

Don't forget the alignment afterwards obviously.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Rookie17; 08-06-2012 at 06:24 AM.