Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
A Little Fun with Wifey's Ecoboost >

A Little Fun with Wifey's Ecoboost

Notices

A Little Fun with Wifey's Ecoboost

Old 08-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Towed my Skater to LOTO this weekend and got 11mpg.. Thats cruising at 80-85 in a hurry to get there fully loaded with fuel, 3 guys and a bed load of crap.. No complaints here!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcourson
I have been very happy with my 5.0L in my F150.

I added a bed cover and imco SIDO exhaust. On flat ground at 55-58mph I am pulling 24mpg. And I have hand calculated the computer several times and it is right on. Getting above 60mph it does start dropping off quite a bit.

Pulling my 24' old resin bucket, i get about 15-17 going the same speed. At 65mph, its about 13mpg.

my truck is 2011 F-150 Screw 4x4 with 5.5 bed and 3.55 rearend.

5 Star tuning makes several tunes for all 3 F-150 motors. After warranty is out, I will be getting one. I have read where his tunes make the 6.2 a complete monster.
That's what my bud run's, as well as neighbors 6.2 CC Raptor (5*), both have other mods though. Huge difference, that 5.0 with a couple mods and tune just flat out hauls, and nice increase in mpg as well (which was already nice stock for a V8 truck). I wouldn't worry about the warranty, especially if you have a good dealer. Won't void anything, they'd have to prove it and slim to none chance they'll be able to do so. Hell I've had one of my last trucks full modded with supercharger etc, and still had warranty work done lol. BTW anyone driven a CC Raptor? Crazy how nice and comfy that truck is, it's so smooth and handles so well which feels surprising b/c your sitting up fairly high on that suspension and some meaty tires. Wonder if they'll offer the Ecoboost in it? Though I know in general most buying don't care and want that raw V8 sound and feel, I know my neighbors 6.2 is f'n loud with the exhaust and headers.
Originally Posted by waterboy222
Towed my Skater to LOTO this weekend and got 11mpg.. Thats cruising at 80-85 in a hurry to get there fully loaded with fuel, 3 guys and a bed load of crap.. No complaints here!
yeh that's impressive at that speed with that weight and people on board. nice!

Last edited by Quicksilver; 08-30-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad azz, but wasn't available until Fall. It took me 4+ years to get her to the dealership to even look at new cars so once I got her there, she was leaving in some thing one way or another. I would have put her in a Porsche Cayenne but she wasn't having it.

Originally Posted by soldier4402
And actually the 54k is the platinum version, I guess if you feel the need to have one of those.
I guess I felt the need to have one of those, can't think of any reasons why one wouldn't want one but guess that is why Ford builds different models. Fit my needs better than any other model so then it was just down to what color to get (tinted red).

Originally Posted by mcourson
I have read where his tunes make the 6.2 a complete monster.
Those 5 Star tunes really wake things up. I've ridden in one with minor mods- tune, pipe and air box- and it was way more peppy than my truck which in my opinion is pretty peppy stock.

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
I wouldn't worry about the warranty, especially if you have a good dealer. Won't void anything, they'd have to prove it and slim to none chance they'll be able to do so.
A good dealer can without a doubt help you out, but Ford is getting pretty tight on repairs these days.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act may say that the dealer can't void warranty work but in the real world, Ford/Chevy/Etc says they think XYZ modification caused the failure, you will be the one without a vehicle until it gets hashed out. You have to rent a car until it goes to court on your dime. You have to foot your own lawyer and you can bet they have a few hundred on staff already. Most of the time when I've heard people going with MMA, they give up way, way before the dealership does.

Wonder if they'll offer the Ecoboost in it?
Serena from SDHQ Offroad took an Eco apart and put all the mods of a Raptor on it. MPG is the same as the 6.2 since it is boost most of the time. The Eco is strong without a doubt but the selling point of it is the MPG. Big tires, lifts and so on kill MPG's. From a power stand point, I've love to see her boost up the boost and see what it will do!!

My Platinum? Lucky for me they only had 6.2's on the lot because I would have been there for days deciding between the 6.2 or Eco. The good things is this isn't politics, just because you love one doesn't mean you have to hate the other. All 4 power choices have a lot of pluses to them- awesome for us buyers!!

I think I would have still gone 6.2 because it is a simple low level 2 valve V8, a guy with a wrench can fix it. Turbos, not so much.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Bad azz, but wasn't available until Fall. It took me 4+ years to get her to the dealership to even look at new cars so once I got her there, she was leaving in some thing one way or another. I would have put her in a Porsche Cayenne but she wasn't having it.

I guess I felt the need to have one of those, can't think of any reasons why one wouldn't want one but guess that is why Ford builds different models. Fit my needs better than any other model so then it was just down to what color to get (tinted red).

Those 5 Star tunes really wake things up. I've ridden in one with minor mods- tune, pipe and air box- and it was way more peppy than my truck which in my opinion is pretty peppy stock.

A good dealer can without a doubt help you out, but Ford is getting pretty tight on repairs these days.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act may say that the dealer can't void warranty work but in the real world, Ford/Chevy/Etc says they think XYZ modification caused the failure, you will be the one without a vehicle until it gets hashed out. You have to rent a car until it goes to court on your dime. You have to foot your own lawyer and you can bet they have a few hundred on staff already. Most of the time when I've heard people going with MMA, they give up way, way before the dealership does.

Serena from SDHQ Offroad took an Eco apart and put all the mods of a Raptor on it. MPG is the same as the 6.2 since it is boost most of the time. The Eco is strong without a doubt but the selling point of it is the MPG. Big tires, lifts and so on kill MPG's. From a power stand point, I've love to see her boost up the boost and see what it will do!!

My Platinum? Lucky for me they only had 6.2's on the lot because I would have been there for days deciding between the 6.2 or Eco. The good things is this isn't politics, just because you love one doesn't mean you have to hate the other. All 4 power choices have a lot of pluses to them- awesome for us buyers!!

I think I would have still gone 6.2 because it is a simple low level 2 valve V8, a guy with a wrench can fix it. Turbos, not so much.
True, though seems they are being more pickier with the boosted engines even with a simple intake (nothng bad just kinda given you a run around), thought I remember some Flex people having issues with dealers though. Plenty of people take modded Stangs, V8 F-150's etc in no prob, my previous truck was even supercharged lol.

Anything done to your 6.2? My neighbors is so loud and mean, think the headers were AR and just a custom Magnaflow exhaust. Seriously seriously loud, that 6.2 sounds like an old school V8 lol.

Yeh I figured mpg would be the same if someone did a swap, I don't think most understand what happens when an boosted engine stays under boost, which it would more so with that gearing/tires/weight of the Raptor, I meant more so with that diesel like flat torque band. Look at the Explorer with the ecoboot-4, people are barely getting better mileage than the V6 and in most cases worse b/c that engine has to work so much harder in the Explorer vs say the Edge which is like 500? lbs lighter. So now your stuck witha much slower vehicle, with barely any better (if your lucky) mileage over the V6, and you had to pay an extra 2-3k for that engine.... I'd be pissed lol. New Sport Explorer with the eco-6 looks cool though.

Last edited by Quicksilver; 08-30-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything done to your 6.2?
No mods. I've thought about it but coming from a '06 F350 6.0 diesel long bed, this 6.2 short bed is like a sports car to me.

I think my next move may be more looks than performance, like some custom paint. Ghosted 3D red and platinum flames coming off the wheel wells or some thing like that. More classic than gaudy. Don't want it to stand out too much but wanted some thing a tad different than the other 50 million F150's out there.

I put a Leer 550 lid on it, took the 4x4 stickers off the rear panels, rear wheel well liners, Weathertech floor mats and a cheap rubber mat in the cargo area. The tires on it were junk at 800 miles (Pirelli Scorpion ATR) so I put the next larger sized Michelin's on it. MUCH better ride at 275/65/20 vs 275/55/20 (IIRC) that came on it. Softer but still sporty grip.

18.5MPG @65MPH- drops off a lot above 65MPH since it is a brick when it comes to aerodynamics
9MPG @ 65MPH with 9K center console behind it
15K miles and 15.1MPG average since new(hold OK button on left of steering wheel to get in diag mode and can scroll to see MPG from new). I remote start year round since it cools/heats depending on outside conditions. That doesn't burn much fuel so not sure how much it hurts the average MPG.

My commute to work is 1.2 miles and I tow about 100 miles a year so MPG wasn't even in my top 50 of things to consider when buying a truck. Not that I like to toss money away but coming from a diesel, all the gasser options looked awesome since fuel and oil changes are so much cheaper.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Came up against a 3.5 Eco Boost Platinum in my Escalade...man was I surprised. I was getting on the turnpike one day last week and had a new F-150 in front of me on the ramp. Ordinarily ...as soon as traffic is clear I just pass what ever is in front of me. as traffic cleared I moved to the left and nailed the Escalade...I didn't pass the F-150 but stayed at the same distance all the way to 100...that's when his speed limiter stopped the Ford like an anchor...I pulled even ( GM stops mine at 110) and looked over expecting a 6.2 badge...NOPE...3.5 ECO BOOST!! Very impressive!!! I think it would run right with my 5900# 6.2 403 horse Escalade in a heads up dig. He would beat me every time on the MPG gig though...if I get 16 or more on the road with the Caddy I celebrate. I do like my big, smooth and quiet though. Nothing screams style like rolling up in a Black Escalade.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark

yeah if i had the money to burn on a platinum, but your right who wouldnt want one. But then again there was reality for me, lol. Mechanically everything was the same. But I think you would find that the same level in a Ford or dodge would run you close to 54k as well.

you are right about ford and the warranty stuff. Ive been told by the dealer that I bought from and two that I get service from, alter the truck and your on your own. Beleive me they are getting stingy these days. I put a light bar on my old truck and I had to fight them on that, they tried claiming that it was what made my trailer light receptacle go bad. Some may be better than others, but I have heard from other guys that their dealers are pretty good but if it means a ford rep coming by to verify then its game over for you
Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered

The comparison between the 5.3 and the EB is almost comical. My last 2 Silverados, my Tahoe and my Avalanche were all 5.3's. Never had a single problem out of any of them but the EB is on a different planet. I can only hope it's half as reliable as the 5.3's were. The EB will flat stomp the hell out of any of my 5.3 trucks.

On Monday of this week, I did everything humanly possible to get as good as gas mileage as possible on my commute to work. 26 miles of mixed driving while never exceeding 55 mph, using cruise, light acceleration, etc. When I got to work, I had averaged 27.9 MPG. No BS. 27.9. This is in the hills of Tennessee. About 20 of the miles are rural backroads. The other 6 were stop and go. Mileage can be incredible if you are careful. Otherwise, it averages around 21 MPG.

FWIW, rebates and deals on 2012's are pretty amazing right now. I ended up at $10,400 off sticker for the wifes XLT Supercab. It was too cheap not to buy. Apparently the deals are even better on the Supercrews. I paid more for my 2007 Tacoma Pre-Runner when it was new.

Mike
Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All this hating on the old 5.3, damn I'm on my third one w/o a issue, I do agree that the main powerband is high, but all I know is I work the hell outta mine, did a trip last month, 240 miles round trip through the hills and averaged 11.2 mpg towing 10k, so I cannot accept anmore 5.3 bashing!!!!!! as far as comparisons I guess i need to find a Eco and strap the old girl behind her and take it for a rip,

Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 88242ls
all this hating on the old 5.3, damn i'm on my third one w/o a issue, i do agree that the main powerband is high, but all i know is i work the hell outta mine, did a trip last month, 240 miles round trip through the hills and averaged 11.2 mpg towing 10k, so i cannot accept anmore 5.3 bashing!!!!!! As far as comparisons i guess i need to find a eco and strap the old girl behind her and take it for a rip,

+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.