Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
A Little Fun with Wifey's Ecoboost >

A Little Fun with Wifey's Ecoboost

Notices

A Little Fun with Wifey's Ecoboost

Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i wasnt ripping it, but its no eco either. Its a solid engine, but not tops anymore. And yes I have owned a 5.3 chevy and now an eco. I wouldnt be strapping a 10k boat to my old 5.3 i can tell you that much.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
i wasnt ripping it, but its no eco either. Its a solid engine, but not tops anymore. And yes I have owned a 5.3 chevy and now an eco. I wouldnt be strapping a 10k boat to my old 5.3 i can tell you that much.
honestly it really isn't that bad, my problem is its a little heavy stopping, gonna go shopping for a 3/4ton or heavy half next year, it sucks because mines paid for and that money goes right in the gas tank LOL I only tow about a mile to ramp so no biggie there and we do 1 or 2 trips a year that are about 240 round trip, if my truck had 373's instead of 342's in the rear end I bet it would be just fine..
Old 09-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88242LS
honestly it really isn't that bad, my problem is its a little heavy stopping, gonna go shopping for a 3/4ton or heavy half next year, it sucks because mines paid for and that money goes right in the gas tank LOL I only tow about a mile to ramp so no biggie there and we do 1 or 2 trips a year that are about 240 round trip, if my truck had 373's instead of 342's in the rear end I bet it would be just fine..
to be hones with you I had a 3/4 ton truck if I can could only tell you more, do not get wrapped up in one. I had a diesel and it the cost was atrocious. Really 1/2 tons have almost identical capability as some of 3/4 ton gassers these days. If you only go a mile and tow 3-4hours twice a year stick with what you got or get the chevy 6.2l. But I would also try the ECO. My boat is 9500lbs and I towed it 600 miles without issue and got 12mpg doing it.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
to be hones with you I had a 3/4 ton truck if I can could only tell you more, do not get wrapped up in one. I had a diesel and it the cost was atrocious. Really 1/2 tons have almost identical capability as some of 3/4 ton gassers these days. If you only go a mile and tow 3-4hours twice a year stick with what you got or get the chevy 6.2l. But I would also try the ECO. My boat is 9500lbs and I towed it 600 miles without issue and got 12mpg doing it.
You kinda nail my thoughts I have been leaning towards a 1/2 denali or All terrain with the 6.2, but we will see I drive alot so the 3/4 will kill me
Old 09-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered

If you are not buying new than a 1500hd is the way to go. you still get all the bells and wistles of a 1500, you get a 6.0l with a 4l80e transmission. 4 wheel disk brakes, and hydro boost. I can stop any thing the truck will pull, and transmission is near bullet proof. (also on 5.3l and 6.0l trucks there is 90- 100hp in a mild cam and tune) If you are going new just get a loaded 6.2l. I love my Chevy but for 2012 Ford builds a better over all truck.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

What brakes do you use. I'm going to guess, surge. You probably remember my boat at the WNYOPA Buffalo poker run. For convenience, my friends who came along used their truck for that trip. Now that truck doesn't care what brake system is used. However, normally, I use my GL to tow my boat. Before that I had a Yukon XL Denali. At the end of the day, the braking system is very important. I switched my trailer from surge to EOH. Now I set up by Tekonsha P3 controller to have the trailer brakes slightly stronger than the truck. What a difference. A little something to consider. Sure beats having the boat push the truck down a hill.

Fearless010 (Peter)
Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Registered

You kinda nail my thoughts I have been leaning towards a 1/2 denali or All terrain with the 6.2, but we will see I drive alot so the 3/4 will kill me
Thats what I dealt with or deal with as well was the daily driver aspect. And the diesel was killing me and to be honest the gas engine wouldnt be any better. I boat probably 10-12 times all year and only go 30mins one way, so having a big truck was stupid. and really the truck I got now tows the boat just about as good as the diesel did. people talk about breaking and suck, I mean thats your trailer bakes anyways,
Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 502ss
I just want to know when GM is going to wake up and come out with something similar! I would buy when in a second if it had a Chevy badge on it!

Nothing against fords, just been a GM man my whole life, can't bring myself to switching!
Owned 5 chevys before purchasing my first ford. Loved my chevys and have nothing bad to say but the first ford parlayed into a second ford...... The ecoboost is an impressive truck. Half ton with 3060 payload and 11k towing and 22-23 mpg? nuff said
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Registered

I like all the new trucks and have read all of these post. I had to chime in...Where's the dodge love? take a ride in a modded turbo cummins and come to the party. An easily modded dodge will throw down 400hp/700tq on the low side.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by high bid
I like all the new trucks and have read all of these post. I had to chime in...Where's the dodge love? take a ride in a modded turbo cummins and come to the party. An easily modded dodge will throw down 400hp/700tq on the low side.
cause we arent talking diesels and arent talking modding, just straight factory. really arguements go out the window when you start talking modding.

My old power stroke got 350-650 without modding so whats the big deal.