Notices

Front Trailer Hitch

Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Trailer Hitch

Tell me about your use, pros and cons. Pictures would be a big help also!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I do not have one, but watching the guys move boats around the marina, it makes it look a whole lot easier. I don't really see a point though unless you were going to use it everyday. I have never had a problem backing a trailer in, sometimes it may be easier with a front hitch, but the job always gets done.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by smcser
Tell me about your use, pros and cons. Pictures would be a big help also!

I have one on my 4 wheel gator, reel nice for moving trailers around . you can stick a trailer anywhere you want without having someone to help you .
Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Registered

Yeah you won't use it everyday but when you need to get a trailer into a tight spot with lots of obsticles it's priceless. Not only can you see what you're doing without wreching you neck around backwards you have tons more manuverability with the steering so close to the trailer. Also great for launching on steep slippery ramps, you keep your drive wheels up on the dry part of the ramp. I have had one on all my tow vehicles.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Likefastboats
Also great for launching on steep slippery ramps, you keep your drive wheels up on the dry part of the ramp. I have had one on all my tow vehicles.

But aren't the rear wheels real light on traction with the weight moved to the front?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Yes I agree you will be lighter in the rear but the wheels will be dry and not in the slippery slimmy algae you find at some ramps.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

theirs a marina called the sand bar where i boat..the guy their had a 4x4 ford f250 with a snowplow A frame with a receiver welded to it,,he would pull up to the boat and use the hydraulics of the plow to lift the tongue of the trailer and put the boat in the water..
Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Registered

I put one on my truck, originally to mount a portable winch. I always prided myself on the ability to put my trailer anywhere I wanted it. I tried it one day stowing the trailer away for the season. It was amazing how easily and how tight a spot I could put it into.

When I tried to pull that trailer out months later,using a different truck, i had to move it, un-hitch it, move the truck to a different angle and and move it a little more, 3 times to get it out.

Front hitches are fairly inexpensive, but hugely helpful when you need them. Never tried to use one to launch or retrieve a boat though.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
But aren't the rear wheels real light on traction with the weight moved to the front?
So you just engage the 4WD with the rear wheels in the air, and now you have 2 pivot points.

Seriously, 45sonic installed one on his F350 dually when he went back to a 7.3L which by vintage also has the leaf spring front suspension making trailer maneuvering a bit more difficult. (The later models have coil springs which have more front wheel turning sweep with smaller turning radius. I opted for bigger wheels and tires on mine 7.3L and prefer to drive over chit in my way.) He uses it for positioning his 45 Sonic on a massive Manning trailer and loves it.

I LOVE the idea of putting a hitch ball on a plow mount. I never thought of that. I was contemplating a farm tractor with 3 point hitch for moving trailers and crap around the house/barn/property. But I am used to doing all the other work borrowing a good friend's skid steer, and I know I would not like or use a small farm tractor for anything else. If I out a plow setup on my beater/errand truck, I'd get a lot more use out of it than just plowing 2 driveways and our 3 miles of rural road twice every 5 years.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-06-2012 at 08:46 AM.