Notices

Bad trailer winch positioning?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad trailer winch positioning?

Here is a picture of the winch setup on my nordic heat's trailer. I bought this used so I am unsure if this is the original setup.

This setup seems strangly unsafe since there are only two bolts holding the winch and all forces are acting directly on the bolts and is causing the winch bracket to deform in a V shape.

In most setups I have seen the winch sits on the other side of the post but I dont have any "holes" to pass the strap through.

Any suggestions on improving this setup?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered

STRANGELY ......I'D SAY DEFINATELY UNSAFE
ALL YOUR WEIGHT IS BEING PLACED ON 2 UPPER BOLTS WHEN WINCHING AS WELL AS THE NECK BASE. -NO DIAG. BRACE. EVERY TRAILER I'VE OWNED EVEN LITTLE ONES, THE NECK IS ANGLED FORWARD. CHECK THE WEIGHT CAP. ON THE WINCH, TOO.
LOOK UP CHAMPIOM TRAILERS - championtrailers.com
YOU CAN PICK UP A BOLT ON NECK,ETC
Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Registered

Thx for the input, I have since upgraded to a 3200 lb winch so I am good on that front but I don't think I will be able to find a suitable winch post because the base post is angled towards the tow as opposed to away from the bow in most setups.

Standard Winch posts dont seem like a viable option because of this...

Bolting the winch at the top of the post to the front and passing the strap under the keel stopper doesn't seem like a viable option since the strap would be pulling the boat upwards...

Simplest solution might be to cut out a hole in the middle of the post and reinforce it and pass the strap through?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Registered

this is the type of set up.strap goes over roller and draws bow in.
pg 17 on champions .pdf catalogue.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Montrealer;3793332]Bolting the winch at the top of the post to the front and passing the strap under the keel stopper doesn't seem like a viable option since the strap would be pulling the boat upwards.../QUOTE]

Go ahead, and also get 10,000 tie down ratchet strap on the bow eye going down (or down and slightly back) to the trailer. Many do use the trailer wench to hold the boat on the trailer, but its job is to pull the boat up on the trailer, not to secure it to the trailer while going down the road.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

That is one of the most fubar'd set ups I have seen on a trailer.
The vertical angled upright does not look to have any bracing. It should be angled the other way and have a lower welded brace. Maybe the brace just isn't visible in the pic.
At a minimum, you need a winch stand/bow stop combo like the first part on this link.
http://www.rockettrailers.com/PartsB...inchStands.htm