Notices

7.3 powerstroke is sick.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FJ11 CHECK FOR AN INTERMITTENT SHORT TO GROUND
Check for intermittent short to ground on the following circuits:
Measure resistance on (FDCS) Circuit 821 (BR/O) between battery ground and PCM Test Pin 95.
Measure resistance on (EF) Circuit 818 (GY/W) between battery ground and PCM Test Pin 48.
Grasp the harness close to the IDM connector. Wiggle, shake the harness while working your way back to the PCM, while looking for a spike on the DVOM.
Do all readings remain above 10,000 ohms throughout procedure?
YES,GO to FJ12 . NO,REPAIR short to ground on the suspect circuit. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

FJ12 CHECK FOR AN INTERMITTENT SHORT TO POWER
Key on, engine off.
Check for intermittent short to power on the following circuits:
measure voltage on (FDCS) Circuit 821 (BR/O) between battery ground and PCM Test Pin 95.
measure voltage on (EF) Circuit 818 (GY/W) between battery ground and PCM Test Pin 48.
Grasp the harness close to the IDM connector. Wiggle, shake the harness while working your way back to the PCM, while looking for a spike on the DVOM.
Did voltage ever appear on any circuit throughout procedure?
YES,REPAIR short to ground on the suspect circuit. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST. NO,GO to FJ13 .
Old 10-11-2012, 07:31 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

FJ13 VERIFY DTC P1316 AND/OR P1670
Restore vehicle.
Clear DTCs.
Cycle key off, than start engine.
Road test vehicle.
Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test and retrieve Continuous DTCs.
Was DTC P1316 and/or P1670 set in Continuous without any codes in KOEO On-Demand?
YES,GO to FJ14 . No,REPAIR KOEO On-Demand DTCs. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

FJ14 ATTEMPT TO GENERATE IDM DTCS
Key off.
Disconnect one valve cover connector.
Start engine to generate IDM codes.
Perform KOEO Injector Electrical Self Test and KOEO On-Demand Self Test.
Are IDM codes retrieved?
YES,REPLACE PCM, RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
NO,REPLACE IDM. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are awesome, I have been going thru heck with this truck, even though it doesn't happen a lot, I know it will happen, I'm going to use all the information you guys have given and get this thing fixed. I've had a stomach virus for the last few days so I havnt had time to do anything yet.... Again, thanks for taking the time to help us out..

God bless
Rick
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
I have been having the same issue, I changed out the IDM, still cuts out or off, changed cam sens, still same issue, oil change no help. Pulled cover to check injector wire connection, all good. Noticed icp was was saturated with oil, chaged it and wiring harness. Truck ran great till coming back from deer hunting, stalled out completely at a stop sign, restarted and drove 200 plus miles with no issues. I hae been chasing this for 8months. I am heading to the shop tomorrow to see what else. If I find the problem I will post for ya. I know lots of 7.3 ae having the same exact problems but no one has the fix.

Rick
make sure the nut on the IPR hasn't fallen off.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=showtime83;3792461]I started having random cut outs and power loss. I plugged in my scanner and had no power to it, so I thought it was dead, took to autozone, that one did not read either. No power to the port, number 3 fuse was popped for some reason. Replaced fuse, my scanner showed a p1316 code, the autozone scanner did not pick up anything. P1316, IDM/injection circuit fault. Truck had complete loss of power today, it would stay running, would shut off and restart. After nursing it home a few miles, I crawled under it to check the manifolds, drivers side cold, passenger side out. My egt probe is in my drivers side manifold which would explain why it was running cold on the gauge. What are the chances of it being the under valve cover harness? Not the IDM? Any recommendations on if it is the UVC on what parts to buy? Factory ford or off brand? Truck is a early 99 with quite a few mods. This is the first major problem I have been chasing other than CPS, glow plug relays and transmissions.

pull the drivers side valve cover & look at the injector harness where it plugs into the valve cover gasket, it will probably be backed out some. if you can push it in any noticeable amount this is probably your issue. replace it with a new ford harness & retest. this is way more common than IDM or injector failure for this concern. when the pcm detects this concern it will kill power to all injectors on that bank & turn on the ses light. I wouldn't probe the harness, the IDM uses 110v dc which can kill.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Registered

Replaced harness under the valve cover this weekend. Truck started right up, no ses light, idled great. I cleared the codes and drove it around town 15 or so miles, all seemed to be good. I was not showing any boost on my gauge, turns out I had a crack in the hose going to the gauge, I must have bumped the old brittle hose taking off the intercooler pipe. So far so good, lets see if it makes the drive to work tomorrow.