Notices

EcoBoost like expectancy

Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Remember Ford always had the 60k warranty as far as I know. Secondly the 5.0 is new and unproven as well if you want to look at it that way. Also you do have 5 years/ 60k for something to go wrong. I have not heard of anybody having problems. I got 15k on mine no issue and two buddies with about the same and no issue. What I have seen is issues with the tranny, but that tranny is in all of the trucks and really arent issues just people not liking how the 6spd operates.

Ill admit I am an eco boost fist pumper but if you dont tow the MPG over the 5.0 is only mariginal but if your going to keep it a long time it will make up for the almost 1000 bucks the eco cost over the 5.0.

In the end who keeps vehicles over 100k anymore, to me I dont really care to keep a vehicle out of warranty anymore. I carry enough equity in my trucks that my payments are low, and I always have a reliable vehicle with no maint cost. The eco isnt entirely new the base 3.5l is just about in every other ford car out there.
It doesn't matter if people keep their vehicles over 100,000 miles these days or not. Bottom line is if you spend this kind of money on a vehicle, it should last more than 100,000 miles with normal driving conditions and normal maintianence. I'll use the example of our Suburban. After spending the amount of money we did on the Suburban, we shouldn't have to put new rings and pistons in it at 50,000 miles. It doesn't matter if we plan on keeping it over 100,000 miles or not. We're spending a lot of money for your product, at least make sure it's a decent product.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

studies show that people keep their vehicles closer to 10 years, which I wouldnt disagree that people are keeping them longer
You're contradicting yourself. First you say who keeps their vehicles over 100,000 miles these days and then you say you don't disagree that people of keeping their vehicles for closer to 10 years. I'm confused.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by marylandmark
What is considered major?

The design life of the turbos are 150,000 miles. I've heard prices from $2500 up to $4000 per turbo, any one able to verify this? 15K miles a year average means it would be a 10 year old truck- seems like $5000-$8000 would be quite a larger percentage of its value at that time, no?
I would consider replacement of the turbos as a major repair. That's is the one item I had in mind when posing the question.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpally
I would consider replacement of the turbos as a major repair. That's is the one item I had in mind when posing the question.
The newer pressurized bearing/ water cooled turbos have an extremely long life compared to older ones.

Pretty much the whole of the EB rotating assembly is forged with 6 bolt/ side bolted mains.

The thing only used 1 tooth out of the range of available teeth of timing chain tightening over the whole Ford endurance test.

Direct injection could get hinkey but diesels have been solid in this area quite a while.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 11-02-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

But either way you need the max trailering not the tow package to get those numbers otherwise you fall in the low 10k range to high 9k range.
I have yet to see or get a clear answer on the difference between the two tow packages other than the EB Controller and the Big Mirrors.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ziemer
I have yet to see or get a clear answer on the difference between the two tow packages other than the EB Controller and the Big Mirrors.
Copied from a ford forum.

1. Higher rated trailer hitch
2. Rear ride height is 1 mm higher (Different spring rate? I'm not sure of the reason)
3. 20:1 steering ratio, trucks without this package get a 17:1 ratio
4. Integrated Trailer-Brake Controller (can be added to any F-150 with trailer tow package)

More rows of radiator oil cooler and trans cooler- as well.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 11-02-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added data
Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Registered

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...rd&model=F-150

The turbos are better than I thought looks to be about 800 bucks for the right hand side and 700 for the left hand side. Assuming labor your probably talking 2500-3 grand to replace them both assuming its just the turbo. But you are right at 150k miles you have look at the value of a vehicle that is probably 8-10 years old and at that point probably worth 10 grand on a good day.
More than likely I interpreted the information I told told incorrectly. Regardless, those are much better numbers than I was told. $3K is a heck of a lot easier to swallow than $8k (using high side of both our numbers).

Only $6900 for a new Ecoboost engine, much less than the $12K-$14K I was told as well. Again, maybe that price included labor and I misinterpreted the information as it was given to me.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Registered

It doesn't matter if people keep their vehicles over 100,000 miles these days or not. Bottom line is if you spend this kind of money on a vehicle, it should last more than 100,000 miles with normal driving conditions and normal maintianence. I'll use the example of our Suburban. After spending the amount of money we did on the Suburban, we shouldn't have to put new rings and pistons in it at 50,000 miles. It doesn't matter if we plan on keeping it over 100,000 miles or not. We're spending a lot of money for your product, at least make sure it's a decent product.
I 100% agree in my mind a vehicle should last 150k assuming proper maint and care. But in the end its a machine and no machine has a 0 probability of defect or will not fail in its life time. Specially with a vehicle when you add different drivers, conditions such as extreme temps and salt, and people towing, all varibles that can decrease the life expectantcy of a vehicle. None the less if I spend 50k the dang thing better work for a while. But manufactures do offer 60-100k warranties that last over 5 years. I do not know after 5 years how much a manufacture can be responsible for something that really gets used every day. But I also had a silverado brand new with 14k, the thing was better off not having windows because it leaked so much, interior panels rattled and the engine dont matter what did got about 14mpg. Chevy lost my truck business for now not because they have chitty products, I was convinced it was just one out of 1000 thing, but their lack of correcting the issue is what lost me.

But at 50k miles wasnt that under warranty.?

Last edited by soldier4402; 11-05-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ziemer
uncle dave spelled it out pretty well, even though those things he listed might make you wonder how it does that, because mirrors dont add weight. But from what I gather the rear bumper is what adds the weight, really where the receiver connects to is stronger.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Registered

You're contradicting yourself. First you say who keeps their vehicles over 100,000 miles these days and then you say you don't disagree that people of keeping their vehicles for closer to 10 years. I'm confused.
Sorry, if you read what I said, im not argueing the studies, but what I am saying is I wonder what sample size they used? As I type this im looking outside at the office and I would have to say the average vehicle is probably no older then 5-6 years as I said. Again a small sample size, but drive down the road once and you do not have a lot of 10 year old bombers our there. Thats why I wonder if they took old people and young people in this study as it may affect the overall avearge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.