Notices

Tandem or Triple?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
I finally pulled the trigger this morning and ordered a tandem axle trailer. However, I upgraded to the 7K axles with 8 lugs and larger brakes for good measure. Not really worried about stopping it as I already have more truck than I need and the built-in LML Duramax exhaust brake really stops loads quickly.

I generally put about 3K miles on my trailer every year with one long trip from 750 to 1500 miles. I service the bearings and brakes every winter. I've never had a bearing or tire failure, just a whole axle failure that led to this purchase.
Sounds like you made a good overall decision. Thanks for updating us. Enjoy your new trailer and post pics when you get it!

You are smart to just repack your bearing from scratch every year. Pumping grease in through a bearing buddy just blows the rear seals out.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Plum,
I think you'll be very happy with your decision! I went through the same thoughts when I was deciding on a trailer for our 33 AT, which weighs a bit more than your Sonic. I went with a tandem with #7000 axles and EOH. I did go with an aluminum which I had painted. On our previous 26' Sonic, the boat came with a triple axle steel trailer. It came from the west coast, where they'll put a triple axle under a 18' boat! I really wanted to simplify things (as long as it was safe), and also have to deal with extremely tight turns to get into our driveway. Another 33' AT owner also has a tandem with good success, so I went with it. Couldn't be happier, great doing the hard cut into the driveway and has been back and forth to Florida couple of times and tows like a dream. The only thing I'ld caution you about are the "import" tires some of the trailer manufacturers use. I was concerned during the build process, and wanted to upgrade to an "American" tire. The builder didn't want to "upgrade" his tire of choice, and wasn't realistic in the upcharge for better tires, so I went with his "bullet proof" tires. Well, 2 years latter and maybe 7000 miles, I blew a tire 5 minutes out of the driveway and the tread separated like a banana peel. The steel belt whipped around and took out the aluminum fender which was welded on the trailer. Needless to say, I now have G rated tires (from Goodyear, to the tune of $340 a copy) on the trailer. They take 110 psi, and look like they're off a semi. I guess what I'm trying to say is be wary of what tires the trailer manufacturer is going to use. The Chinese junk they sold me was load rated for 3750 lb. per tire, the same as the Goodyears I replaced all them with at 3 times the cost. I was tempted to go with the LT truck tires that Myco uses, which I know people have good luck with in a tandem application, but the weight ratings aren't high enough to match the axle ratings. I know this will open the door for the "triple axle fans" to say see, you're pushing the weight capacity (which I'm not) and would have been better off with a triple. Maybe so, but I'm still happy I went the way I did. I attribute the failure to cheap tires, not a tandem. I just don't want you to experience the same possible nightmares with the "import" tires. By the way, my trailer brand starts with an M also.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Tires are a concern. When I was researching tires for my last trailer, I couldn't find any built in the USA. American companies have either gone under, sold out, or are now manufacturing in Asia. The tire size I'll be using is 235/80R16. What's best? What LT truck tires does Myco use?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I use G load Range on my 50ft Car hauler which is heavily loaded daily with no problems. One brand is Solid Trac and I will look at which other ones I have had success with. I strongly suggest the G load range tires. The cost is not that much more but will pay for itself when they last longer and do not blow out.

I have had a BAD experience with Carlie on both boat and car hauler trailers.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
Tires are a concern. When I was researching tires for my last trailer, I couldn't find any built in the USA. American companies have either gone under, sold out, or are now manufacturing in Asia. The tire size I'll be using is 235/80R16. What's best? What LT truck tires does Myco use?
The Goodyears I switched over to are definitely made in the USA, they are the G614's. Not sure what LT tires Myco uses , either Goodyear or Firestone, I just wanted the higher load capacity rating.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 10k lb tri-axle aluminum trailer and i am just trying to fix the weak links. Seems like this spring I got.my first taste of trailer mishaps on my trip to FL from NJ. I lost a wheel/tire like guys said they did above. The rig didnt feel any different but after pulling over it can get your nerves going. I went through checking everything as to why this would happen. Before my trip all axles were serviced and any bearings that showed excess wear I replaced. I set them perfectly, but still had some metal in my grease.

My questions to the tri-axle guys are what size wheel/tire combo are you using? Do you get excess tire roll maneuvering around ramp and parking lots? Also anyone have issues with their trailer floating at ramp?

I like being pro-active and enjoy towing, i have done trips to west coast Fl since I was a little guy and want to keep doing the same safely. I have all torsion suspension and even have the equilizer torsion hitch assembly. My truck is a 2010 GMC Sierra Denali and pulls amazing with no sense of it being controlled by the load.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Myco ships with Firestone TransForce tires now when they install E-rated tires.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Myco ships with Firestone TransForce tires now when they install E-rated tires.
Thanks for the tip. After researching the Transforce HT as a trailer tire, I decided to go with them. I couldn't find a single bad word on any RV or truck forums. I was warned, however, that truck tire sidewalls are not designed to sit for long periods of time without movement. Since I store my trailer up on jack stands over the winter, this isn't a problem.

I really only need an E-rated tire as the boat/trailer will only weigh about 11,000lbs. A G-rated tire would be way too hard and ride rough.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by I.D.C.E.
My questions to the tri-axle guys are what size wheel/tire combo are you using? Do you get excess tire roll maneuvering around ramp and parking lots? Also anyone have issues with their trailer floating at ramp?

Around the ramps, I don't have any problem with my Tri-Axle. Doesn't float in VA, but I think typically people see taht problem in FLA.

Backing into my driveway puts some strain on my triple axle set-up but have done it 100 times with no issues. I don't love it, but it's part of the territory. I wouldn't worry unless you are one of these guys who is using a forklift or something to yank it at REALLY sharp angles.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Around the ramps, I don't have any problem with my Tri-Axle. Doesn't float in VA, but I think typically people see taht problem in FLA.

Backing into my driveway puts some strain on my triple axle set-up but have done it 100 times with no issues. I don't love it, but it's part of the territory. I wouldn't worry unless you are one of these guys who is using a forklift or something to yank it at REALLY sharp angles.
Shiiii...
My P.O.S. Rocket aluminum trailer floated in FRESH water. I had to tie it off to the dock when I backed in; and eventually added dumbbells to it.

I flared out and widened the driveway 8' at the street so I could back in easier.
If you have a tight bend to make with the trailer semi regularly; just hit the area with a garden hose or throw a 5 gallon bucket of water out there before you make the turn.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-15-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.