Notices

DIY remote starters

Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default DIY remote starters

Anyone ever install a remote starter themselves? Any recommendations? I hate going to shops and sitting around all day waiting for stuff to get done. Would rather order something and install myself if possible. Wifeys Cherokee has remote start and I love it.

Going in a 97 Chevy 454 Dually. Id consider a kit with alarm too.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Anyone ever install a remote starter themselves? Any recommendations? I hate going to shops and sitting around all day waiting for stuff to get done. Would rather order something and install myself if possible. Wifeys Cherokee has remote start and I love it.

Yup, I did two of them. Plan to spend a couple hours on your back under the dash. Other then that, follow the directions and there not that bad!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I read the post title, I thought someone was putting remote starters in their boat!!

Kinda a neat idea. Would be cool to hear my boat fire up from a distance!!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've put several in myself. As a matter of fact a few hundred would be more accurate. But then again, I'm the guy in back of the shop doing the install while you wait up front for me to finish.

I ALWAYS tell the customer to get a ride. Never could figure out why someone would wait all day for something that takes that long to install.

All joking aside, I would be more than happy to talk you through your install. If you purchase a Bulldog unit you can count me out though. They're junk.

Buck
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Step 1 pick out the unit that fits your needs/wants.
Step 2 find a local dealer
Step 3 drop the car off there and pay the $250!!! Lol
I'm sure a full day of yours *****ing and moaning under a dash is worth more than that!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by buck183
If you purchase a Bulldog unit you can count me out though. They're junk.

Buck
+1 Buy a quality remote start. I am on 12yrs this winter with my Viper.
Originally Posted by lil red
Step 1 pick out the unit that fits your needs/wants.
Step 2 find a local dealer
Step 3 drop the car off there and pay the $250!!! Lol
I'm sure a full day of yours *****ing and moaning under a dash is worth more than that!
I agree it's not worth the time once you have bought a quality unit.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That year, make, and model are about as basic as they can be for a remote start install. I can fax you a copy of the schematics you would need for the install. If it helps for reference, I would charge someone coming into my shop $295 for parts and labor to install one on the same vehicle. This would be for a two-way remote start with keyless entry.

Fortunately you won't need any interface modules for this particular vehicle. If you did I would have recommended a professional for the install. A late model vehicle that requires one needs to be installed by someone with experience.

I feel comfortable talking you through it if you decide to tackle it.

Buck
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done a handfull and im far from a expert. They are great to have in the middle of winter. Some can be a pain: programing, extra relays for negative door locks, bypasses, tach programming, ect. Yours should not be that bad, don't think you will need a bypass. Like said before stay away from Bulldog.
For a first timer don't think your going to get it done in a hour or two. It will take you a while and might be challenging. You might get to a point you wish you took it somewhere, I have been there before a couple times, once after spending hours trying everything then being on with a tech for almost an hour to find out a wire/pin pulled out slightly in the 16 pin remote start harness/plug in. Also make sure you do it on a day/hours when a help line/ techs are in, I learned that on a Sunday.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Registered

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...Chevrolet.html
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Registered

Default fixx

yes joe,,i use to install them in my younger years,,have done thousands of them...keep in mind you will need a VAT's patch module for your key...let me know what your looking for i can still get deals on them..my burb has had one since 1994 and im on my second one..i would not go with out one now that im spoiled..

i can get you the auto page one for around 80 bucks or the one you can start your truck with from california with your smart phone,,will even tell you inside temps..

Last edited by FIXX; 11-14-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.