Notices

06 f350 sound bad starting

Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tousleyfordparts.com sells everything for 10% over cost. get your oil coolers there and egr delete kits from ebay for $100 with new up-pipe. avoid the onyx head gaskets. stick with oem ford kits. '06-7s will throw a CEL for low egr flow with a delete kit but that can be tuned out. stay under 100 extra horsepower on a tuner without apr head studs. ALWAYS use motorcraft filters and change oil every 5k and fuel filters ever other oil change. 6.0s aren't bad if you know how to treat 'em.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by commandersander
Jaime

Where are you located?

Try this.....under the coolant reservoir where the drivers side valve cover is, unplug the two big connectors. Key on, engine off. Then, plug them back in. If the truck fires immediately after, you have trouble with the ficm. This is common if your base battery voltage is below 10 during crank....you may have fried it....
It's easier to just remove the 10mm head nut on the rh battery and disconnect that 8 gauge red lead. That is the link to the alternator and the glow plug module. also remember that on a cold start the glow plugs can run up to an additional 120 seconds after start. So having good batteries to be the reserve at this time is key. mostly bad batteries kill FICM's also some could argue that calibrations released after the 6.0 launch lead to this.

Plug the truck in. if you dont have a plug you need a cord. ford sells them. each 6.0 is equipped with the heater. above the starter rh side of block. there are even some aftermarket cords that are cheaper and easier to install. ford's cord just routes well and is hidden. this will shorten glow plug on time and allow the engine to resume a positive charge. also 10w-30 really helps in the 6.0 for winter starting. also make sure you are using the FL-2016 filter and factory cap ONLY. this keeps the filter basin full and makes starting about 1 second quicker. Keep your oil clean, oil is cheaper than metal and injectors. injectors stick over time with dirty oil they are the HEUI style and use high pressure oil to move the piston in the injector.

Some of U guys that have been on OSO for awhile know me. I'm MItch and am a ford master diesel technician in iowa. deal with it all. And will take the 6.0 any day over any engine. I own one myself. they are just mis-understood. feel free to P.M. with Q's. Just took a break from OSO for a bit.