Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
what size truck would I need to tow a formula 382 fastech legally ? >

what size truck would I need to tow a formula 382 fastech legally ?

Notices

what size truck would I need to tow a formula 382 fastech legally ?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie
I won't disagree with that, I'm talking boat only at 10,500 per NADA.

NADA is on it, they usually have good info.

The Formula brochure for a 2006 says "Approx dry weight": 10,450 lbs.

Of course fuel, equip, trailer is no prob sitting at 13K lbs +.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been curious about this as well. My question is, how do I see people with 1 ton trucks, DRW and SRW , all dot numbered construction trucks, passing through the scales legally with 2 skid loaders on a goose neck trailer? Sometimes I see them equipped with service boxes and 2 pieces of equipment?? If the truck is not legally rated for it, why does DOT allow it? A skid loader and a mini excavator on top of a steel goose neck as to be every bit of 17k if not more? Also the car haulers using pickups with the 3 suvs on a 48 foot trailer with extendable ramps up front, they pass through daily too without ever being stopped for "overweight". If they can legally insure those rigs why can we not be legal hauling a 38' boat?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by showtime83
I have always been curious about this as well. My question is, how do I see people with 1 ton trucks, DRW and SRW , all dot numbered construction trucks, passing through the scales legally with 2 skid loaders on a goose neck trailer? Sometimes I see them equipped with service boxes and 2 pieces of equipment?? If the truck is not legally rated for it, why does DOT allow it? A skid loader and a mini excavator on top of a steel goose neck as to be every bit of 17k if not more? Also the car haulers using pickups with the 3 suvs on a 48 foot trailer with extendable ramps up front, they pass through daily too without ever being stopped for "overweight". If they can legally insure those rigs why can we not be legal hauling a 38' boat?

What we see at work, as I understand it, the DOT is going to look at the trailer weight rating and axles. If the trailer is properly loaded for "it's" rating and the axle weight for roads and bridges is not exceeded then, ok. Next the tow vehicle and same thing. If the chassis of the tow vehicle is not over loaded and the axles are not over weight then, ok. That leaves a lot of room to play with weight and still be inside all the ratings. The trailer can be 3 times toooooo much for the tow vehicle but if all the components are at their rated loads and the axles are not over then.......... carry on.

I think the insurance co is one who is going to witch hunt in the event of a claim.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Registered

I would pull with a Dually. People don't realize just how big a Formula 382 is. The boat is deep and tall compared to most others the same length. A 42 Fountain looks small compared to one of those. The boat on the trailer full of fuel and wet has to top 15K lbs. I am hoping to upgrade to a 382 or 353 soon. Jeff Wurl
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Registered

I towed my 2007 382 with a 2010 F-450 DRW without load leveling hitch and it did fine.

When I purchased the new 382, I sold the F-450 and replaced it with a 2012 SRW F-350, and I added a 15,000# load leveling hitch, and the F-350 handles better than the F-450. The load leveling hitch makes all the differance in he world. Ford's stated towing capacities are with load leveling hitches when towing 5,000 lbs or more.

The SRW F-350 is rated for 14,000 lbs for bumper pulled if you use a weight distributing hitch, and 17,500 for gooseneck.

Last edited by Made It Rain; 12-29-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Up until '11, very few if any 3/4 tons were rated to pull that load. Especially with a steel trailer.

If you have a wreck, the insurance company starts by looking at ways not pay rather than to support you. Personally, the less ammunition they have to do that the better, not to mention safety and any potential DOT issues.

If it were me, I would use a 1 ton minimum.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 PM
GDM
Registered

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
If you have a wreck, the insurance company starts by looking at ways not pay rather than to support you. .
thats my concern , I been around the block a few times and I know you dont wanna give them a way out

Im not looking to take a hundred thousand dollar hit

I guess I'll need a 350 dually

Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

A dually doesn't cost hardly any more anyway. There are only 2 people that prefer srw, those that have never had a dually, and those that find the automatic car wash the most important factor in vehicle selection.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Last I checked, the mirrors stick out further than rear wheel wells dually or not.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

when i bought my fountain,i had a f250 4wd 4 door shortbox truck,it was a 5 hour tow in pouring rain,so i kept my speed around 62 mph,everytime a semi passed me it shoved me all over the place.long story short,i now have a f350 dually and feel a lot safer.im not saying you absolutly need a dually,but it is safer for towing,imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.