Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anybody ever use UShip for trailer delivery? >

Anybody ever use UShip for trailer delivery?

Notices

Anybody ever use UShip for trailer delivery?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody ever use UShip for trailer delivery?

Just found a new trailer, looking for a way to get it up here to Maryland from Miami. Ever use UShip or know anyone coming this way after January 4th 2013?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default u ship

I have used u ship a few times, had mixed results. my suggestion is look at feedback and cancellations not just price. I took some cheap bids , didnt work out, just had a load delivered to me cheaper than I could go get it.guys are doing it for fuel plus a couple bucks it seems.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Majority of Drivers using U-ship are desperate and about to go out of business anyways. Obviously that means they do not have the funds to run a proper business, insurance, etc. You get what you pay for and the lowest price is not always the best. If you do use U-Ship use it as a tool to find a quality Hauler for a fair price. Our government and insurance companys make it very expensive to run a legal business so fuel and a couple bucks does not even come close. Waycool has some good advice also.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

That's an easy trip. Fly down on Southwest for cheap and rent an Explorer or Tahoe and bring it back up yourself.

You could always rent a "local" unlimited mileage SUV and do the roundtrip as well.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Registered

I have used Uship to ship Snowmobiles many times. If you have a few weeks to plan this ,you will more than likely be able to get this trailer shipped cheaper than you would even pay for gas in your own rig . When you choose a shipper make sure you check their cancellation history. I have gotten burned a few times with people who claim they will pick up your stuff and cancel at the last minute. Even if they cancel it costs you no money, but you have the headache of having to book it again. Check your email often because the best deals happen when a shipper is in the area and need something at the last minute. Make sure they have the proper insurance for your trailer also. Jeff Wurl
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by laigle
Just found a new trailer, looking for a way to get it up here to Maryland from Miami. Ever use UShip or know anyone coming this way after January 4th 2013?
PM sent. Heading north with an empty hitch about 1 week after that date.

Thanks, Pat
Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 AM
Registered

Uship is low budget and there are both good and bad haulers. As offsorexcursion indicates, DOT and insurance are huge hurdles for individual operators. Beyond that, because you may be dealing with individuals hauler reliability and problem solving are some of the biggest issues I have seen. Beyond that, part of the problem with Uship is the lack of ability to actually talk to the potential hauler before the load is booked to actually get a feel for the hauler and transaction. (this lack of phone communication is due to Uship loosing out on the booking fee if an individual deal is struck outside Uship. Of course outside deals dont carry the minimal protections afforded by a Uship brokered deal)

I have pulled a few loads myself, not "legally". I have a solid tow rig, over prepared for potential incidents and what I think is a decent skill set.
The biggest problem I have encountered is the load has not been preped on the Pickup end. If you have ever watched Shipping Wars the drama is usually around the individual on the Pickup end not being prepared and expecting the load to disappear at no effort or cost. I suspect a commercial outfit would either start the time clock or walk away.
Twice I rolled in to pickup a boat/trailer loads and eventhough I had been in communication with both parties, both times with explicit expectations and checks, there were issues. Trailer lights not working, broke, shorted (which blew my trailer lights fuse twice til I found the problem). Bearings not packed. Interior cushions not secured. One was an individual and one a Dealer

This all leads to the next potential problem - who is responsible for my delay and proper repairs? I roll in and nothing is prepared setting me back 1-3 hrs and getting dirty for what was supposed to be a hook and go. Buyer says "they said it would be ready", dealer says "this is what he bought, we have looked it over".
Along the way, on one of my stops and walk around, I found a seat coushion flipped up the dealership kid had taped down. Another time, the bearings felt super hot and had me concerned (as turned out, we had just come down a mountain and the heat was due to the surge brakes pushing)
Both got me thinking, who is responsible for the lost cushion or how am I going to get compensated if this bearing fails on a Sunday night?

Bottom line - an empty trailer should be an easy move but make sure everthing is truely preped.
If you can wait til after Feb 18th, there may be more with an empty hitch driving back from Miami boat show
Old 12-31-2012, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

used several times, been fine..actually got me out of a bind on a van a few years ago when a shipper I signed up with(not on UShip) did not get it moved after 60 days !!! had worse experiances with normal vehicle shippers...
Old 12-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Registered

Great idea.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 AM
Registered

Thanks for all comments appreciate it. i'm leaning towards Sydwayz idea of making a flight down. Pat I'll reply to your PM shortly. Thanks. happy new year all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.