Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2 new sets of kodiak brakes not enough? >

2 new sets of kodiak brakes not enough?

Notices

2 new sets of kodiak brakes not enough?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 new sets of kodiak brakes not enough?

I 've just got my trailer back from shop, installed 2 sets of kodiak brakes on my 3 axle trailer, put my boat on it(formula 272 sr1 w BB's) and went around the neighborhood driving my wife's 06 yukon denali xL and trying to test the me brakes.
All of a sudden I got a yellow light so I decided to step on the brakes after making sure no one was behind and ended up in the middle of the intersection,making me think that my investment was not enough to be secure. It took forever to stop.Brake actuator pump(coupler) was changed as well. it feels that the trailer brakes are not kicking in, or is my boat too heavy to have a safe braking distance with the set up I have? I called the shop and they told me I should bring it back to check it with the boat on,which I cannot do in the next 10 days ,but before I go back I wanted some opinions.

Any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Kodiak brakes on all 3 axles pulling a 47' Fountain and when I hit the brakes it pulls me down hard. You have some serious installation issues.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Diego if the trailer was empty it didn't have enough weight to actuate the brakes. If the boat was on it there is installation error
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dewayne6243
I have Kodiak brakes on all 3 axles pulling a 47' Fountain and when I hit the brakes it pulls me down hard. You have some serious installation issues.
That is exactly what I am thinking , I don't feel that pull from behind and my boat is not that heavy.I was thinking,do I need brakes on all three axles? Don't think so right?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
Diego if the trailer was empty it didn't have enough weight to actuate the brakes. If the boat was on it there is installation error
James, the boat was on the trailer,need to go back to the shop for sure.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

3 axles not required to stop....but.....required in Fla. Sounds like air. you should have very little wham in the coupler if they are bled and adjusted correctly. If they are discs then just bleed the air again
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Diego...what size master cylinder do you have? Make sure it matches the brakes.

Mine operates as if the boat is not pushing my Escalade at all...in fact the whole rig feels as though it's stopping faster. I went with the DeeMaxx System with two axles and a 12000# Master Cylinder. It really pulls down fast. Also make sure you have enough tongue weight...that can make a difference.

http://www.deemaxxcomponents.com/

My biggest test was on i-95 running about 65 and had a guy suddenly stop in front of me for no reason. I hit the brakes and stopped very quickly from 65...scared the crap out of me but now I know how good the system works.

Call me tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unplug the trailer light plug and see if you can back up.if you can wyyle in reverse still set the emergrncy brake and put the vehicle in park..go back and look at where the ball part of the acuator is,if it looks to be buried inth the unit them you have air in the system,if not then they either put a drum brake acuator on it or the reverse lock out solenoid is blocking the fluid from going past it..
Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that this is causing your issue but any reason you didn't go with an EOH system instead considering you replaced the coupler anyway?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

You have a 272? I have a 29 F on a tandem with all elect brakes on both 6 lug 5200 lb axles. I can stop almost as hard as the truck by itself. It will really haul you down. Im super happy with it. You have brakes on two 5 lug 3500lb axles????? I know its not apples to apples but with my old trailer I completely replaced all four drum brakes on the surge 3500lb axles and I was not happy with the braking. It worked ok but that was it. Have you ever weighed the boat and trailer?

My boat/trailer/fuel/gear weighs 9K. So with brakes on 2 5200lb axles Im covered with 10,400lbs worth of brake. If you only have brakes on two 3500lb axles then you have 7000lb worth of braking. Your boat/trailer/gear may weigh 8 or 8200lbs. You need to weigh it. Its easy just take the truck and the trailer through the scale then pull over in the parking lot, disconnect the boat and go through again with just the truck, thats what I did you can do it in 20 min. I was surprised on how much it weighed.

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 02-06-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.