Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
07 Silverado/Sierra Duramax Old vs New? >

07 Silverado/Sierra Duramax Old vs New?

Notices

07 Silverado/Sierra Duramax Old vs New?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Silverado/Sierra Duramax Old vs New?

I'm looking around for an 07 or so Silverado/Sierra 2500 HD diesel. Here's my question. Would you buy the new or old body? In 07 there was a classic (slightly cheaper on the used market) and the all new body style.

So I'm stuck with that question.
Old - last year of production/all problems have been worked out
New - first year and a whole new set of potential problems

What would you do?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by prostock85
I'm looking around for an 07 or so Silverado/Sierra 2500 HD diesel. Here's my question. Would you buy the new or old body? In 07 there was a classic (slightly cheaper on the used market) and the all new body style.

So I'm stuck with that question.
Old - last year of production/all problems have been worked out
New - first year and a whole new set of potential problems

What would you do?
Personally I like the interior of the old style better, but I like the updated look of the
HD.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

New is way better. And in 5yrs when the new style looks kinda old, the classic will look ancient.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 79formula
New is way better. And in 5yrs when the new style looks kinda old, the classic will look ancient.
I just sold my 2002 "old style" 3500 dually. I am looking for a 07/08 myself. It looks great.

Do anyone of you know about a black 3500 dually with some tow-extras and big wheels? Even better if it had light interior color... Thanx!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 588 Likes on 270 Posts

I have an 07 Classic SRW crew 3500 purchased new Love it tows the Cig great.
77k Trouble free miles
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Registered

I was in the purchase market right at the Classic/NBS change over.
I purchased 07.5 NBS. CC LB 3500 SA

As I recall, the interior felt a little tighter and nicer on the NBS. Crew Cab back seat was a major change between Classic with a lay forward that gave more flat room and NBS that folded up giving more hight. I liked the extra height and ability to walk in with NBS. 60/40 front bench with leather SLT was not available on NBS.
Engines and trans had several big wear problems finally worked out of prior models and were very close between the Classic LBZ and NBS LMM. LMM has the emissions which is cleaner smelling but does lose slightly in milage. Anything NBS is easy to dump emissions with a $400 exhaust and EFI live program, making it exactly like a Classic. Dont go over 40-50hp bump or you will hurt the Allison in time. 50-60hp tow tune hurt my Allison right at 5 yrs and 53k miles, BTW.

There were few mechanical updates that caused problems, most everything was cosmetic with no issues. Heated windshield washer pump was the only recall worth mentioning. Sheet metal became thinner with NBS.
TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) was also rolled out with the NBS. It is nice but if aftermarket wheels or expense of replacement ($50 each) gets to you, LBZ does not have them.
GM also sharpend the pedal feel on LMM, the pedal curve comes on quicker than the Classic or current LML. I had to learn a lighter foot to not spin going around the corner, especially with my Tow tune. GM backed off again with the current LML so some think it feels less powerful but you just have to get deeper into the throttle.

For those in an emissions controlled area wanting to modify their truck, the LBZ can actually carry a premium price since there are no hassles.
You cant go wrong either way. If cheap tow vechicle, choose either and dont shy away from 06/07.
If style is an issue, as 79Formula said; the Classic will look very dated while NBS will look fresher for some time.

IF you purchase a 2007 model year, I never tell the parts guys its 2007. Computer systems (and people ) screw it up more times than not. Tell them you have a 2006 LBZ or 2008 LMM.

In either case, if you are towing the 32' Fever, the first thing you want to do is replace the OEM hitch. Little write up I did on Curt hitch differences. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...422&highlight=

Last edited by ChargeIt; 02-14-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
I was in the purchase market right at the Classic/NBS change over.
I purchased 07.5 NBS. CC LB 3500 SA

As I recall, the interior felt a little tighter and nicer on the NBS. Crew Cab back seat was a major change between Classic with a lay forward that gave more flat room and NBS that folded up giving more hight. I liked the extra height and ability to walk in with NBS. 60/40 front bench with leather SLT was not available on NBS.
Engines and trans had several big wear problems finally worked out of prior models and were very close between the Classic LBZ and NBS LMM. LMM has the emissions which is cleaner smelling but does lose slightly in milage. Anything NBS is easy to dump emissions with a $400 exhaust and EFI live program, making it exactly like a Classic. Dont go over 40-50hp bump or you will hurt the Allison in time. 50-60hp tow tune hurt my Allison right at 5 yrs and 53k miles, BTW.

There were few mechanical updates that caused problems, most everything was cosmetic with no issues. Heated windshield washer pump was the only recall worth mentioning. Sheet metal became thinner with NBS.
TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) was also rolled out with the NBS. It is nice but if aftermarket wheels or expense of replacement ($50 each) gets to you, LBZ does not have them.
GM also sharpend the pedal feel on LMM, the pedal curve comes on quicker than the Classic or current LML. I had to learn a lighter foot to not spin going around the corner, especially with my Tow tune. GM backed off again with the current LML so some think it feels less powerful but you just have to get deeper into the throttle.

For those in an emissions controlled area wanting to modify their truck, the LBZ can actually carry a premium price since there are no hassles.
You cant go wrong either way. If cheap tow vechicle, choose either and dont shy away from 06/07.
If style is an issue, as 79Formula said; the Classic will look very dated while NBS will look fresher for some time.

IF you purchase a 2007 model year, I never tell the parts guys its 2007. Computer systems (and people ) screw it up more times than not. Tell them you have a 2006 LBZ or 2008 LMM.

In either case, if you are towing the 32' Fever, the first thing you want to do is replace the OEM hitch. Little write up I did on Curt hitch differences. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...422&highlight=

Now that's a reply! Thanks for taking the time out to write that. I think I'll start looking for 07.5's and up.