Notices

Trailer axle upgrade

Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer axle upgrade

Im In Mid Michigan area looking for a decent place to buy a couple new trailer axles. Currently running leaf sprung 6 lug tandem axle with hyd. disk brake setup. Boat seems a little heave for the trailer. Im not sure the weight though. 31 OE with SBC's & bravo setup, retired race boat converted to pleasure, the front os empty & unfinished.

I was thinking about upgrading to a 8 lug axles or there is plenty of room to add a 3rd axle to the trailer.

So I guess whats your opinion??? add another or upgrade heavier & stay with tandem.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Oh boy you just opened a can of worms here on this forum!!! so I will start it off by sayin If it was me I would add a third axle and add brakes to it!! also before the crap starts a triple is not that more difficult to manuver around to spite what others may say!! the extra braking is well worth the trade off. IMHO.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 266 Likes on 93 Posts

Some side view pics would be nice.

What size axles are they? My guess is between 3600-6000lb.

I love all my triple axles trailers for many reasons. Flat tire, bad Bearing, cracked leaf spring, brake issue, you still have 5 others to get you where you need to go to properly fix. More braking. Negative, triple wears tires out faster, but if you are smart on how oftem you turn tight its not a big deal. I still jack knife my gooseneck if needed but avoid it if I can, just part of driving smart and smooth on any equipment. Its not harder to manuver like some say, and tandem still drag tires sideways during turning, they dont magically steer!

Tandem axles are great especially when the axles are extra heavy duty. If the axles, tires, and wheels are all rated for more then you need it will work out great.

Both are good options and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 02-25-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Some side view pics would be nice.

What size axles are they? My guess is between 3600-6000lb.

I love all my triple axles trailers for many reasons. Flat tire, bad Bearing, cracked leaf spring, brake issue, you still have 5 others to get you where you need to go to properly fix. More braking. Negative, triple wears tires out faster, but if you are smart on how oftem you turn tight its not a big deal. I still jack knife my gooseneck if needed but avoid it if I can, just part of driving smart and smooth on any equipment. Its not harder to manuver like some say, and tandem still drag tires sideways during turning, they dont magically steer!

Tandem axles are great especially when the axles are extra heavy duty. If the axles, tires, and wheels are all rated for more then you need it will work out great.

Both are good options and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I agree with u & abones, I had a triple axle Eagle under my 280 baja that pulled awesome! Good point about having 3 you can limp it to rescue unlike a tandem is bad with a flat. plus the added braking power.

Last edited by GTOKILLER; 02-25-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 266 Likes on 93 Posts

Sweeeet Rig! Boat and Truck look great. (I do remember you posting the pics before) Get that thing up to Traverse City and look us up!

Now the hard part.....3rd axle in front of the original or behind? I almost would say behind since the front of the boat is so light. All my previous boats have towed better with the axles further back then the not. Plus my 50ft gooseneck's axles are 40ft back!

Another thing to think about is if you ever add extension boxes or any weight somewhere.

Obviously once installed you might need to re adjust your hitch height.

I looked into axle pricing recently and a 7k electric brake 8 lug was around $500. Really reasonable. Just to give you an idea.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd try calling dexter axle direct. Give them your specs off your current axles, and get a duplicate from them. Quick story.

Two summers ago, was trailering home from the lake. Going down some city streets (chicagos streets are awful). Went over a set of railroad tracks, and wham. Center axle busted. Broke, the weld right where the spindle assembly gets welded to the tube. Tire got cocked up in wheel wheel, smoke show. Chained the axle up and got it home.

First thing I did was call myco. They did have the axle I needed in stock, for 400 bucks or so, plus freight. Seemed high so I called dexter axle who makes them, since they are an hours ride away. Get this, the girl there heard my story, and they actually warrantied the axle. The trailer is a 1989! Two days later I had a new axle at my door. They even covered the freight.

That there is good service imo. Even if I had to buy the axle assembly from them, I want to say it was about 100 bucks or so. For just the tube.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GTO- I think you should have 8 lug 6000 lb axles. Call dexter and see what they say. Frankly, those axles look to small for that boat. I would also upgrade to 16 inch wheels if you dont have them now. Good luck.

Wannabe
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys! OffShore: Ill let you know when we get up there, I got a list of people that have been very helpful to look up in T.C. looks like we will be spending a bit of time boating in that T.C. area this season.

I was leaning towards adding a third axle anyway, but thanks for the idea of putting it in the back that allows me to add the drive guard Ive thinking about. The added weight & length of ex boxes without protection scares me.

Mild: mines a 88" maybe I should call for warranty haha! Ive been in that situation before with my 280 ( trip axle trailer) lost a Wheel bearing hub & all passed me on the hwy. stop strapped it up & continued onto get it repaired. Ill call Dexter today & begin.

Wannabe: I agre they always look overloaded & stressed I might just upgrade all to 8 lug & still add a 3rd axle might be a little overkill but thats better then being broke down all the time.

Those are 16" aluminum 6 lug wheels. thanks for the reminder though!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

No worries about pulling long trailers with the axles way back there, or triple axles pulling bad !?! Ive had great luck with triples, my 38' fifth wheel I drug all around the country before selling it had triples.

My 280 was a tank had triples under it & that pulled great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.