Notices

2000 F350 V10 good or bad?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
got a friend that has one in his tow truck 600k anf the engine just gave its last breath.. been a great truck for him,,its been in a tow truck its whole life..he said he wont buy another ford diesel,,he is now looking for another v10 cab and chassis.
So he got 600K out of a diesel in a tow truck but hes like I`ll never get another one?? mmmm ok
Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
So he got 600K out of a diesel in a tow truck but hes like I`ll never get another one?? mmmm ok
I think he was saying his friend got 600k on the V10, then it gave up, and he's looking for another V10, rather than buying a diesel??

I have heard of commercial shuttle vans and what not with the V10s with crazy miles. Some even going towards a million miles. I know it sounds crazy!

Today's modern gasoline engines burn so much cleaner, the days of washed out rings and bearings at 100k miles are pretty much gone. My beater crown vic with 4.6 has 240k on it. Engine doesn't burn a drop a oil. Ryan's F150 gasser has 300k and still going strong. I had my crown vic in for repairs to a shop that services mainly taxi cabs here in Chicago. When I mentioned jokingly that mine prob won't be around much longer with 240k miles on it, the owner of the shop said "that ain't nothin man, I've had cabs in here with 400-500k on the original engine. And if the engine goes bad, we can swap them out in about 1/2 day and get them back out makin money"

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 04-02-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

yep v10 dan,,truck came from calf with a bunch of miles on it,,he just added about 400k more..
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Registered

I got ya.

Can you put in a chip and have 120hp and 630tq at the touch of a button on a V10? No?
wap wap waaaaaaaa

Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Registered

I got ya.

Can you put in a chip and have 120hp and 630tq at the touch of a button on a V10? No?
wap wap waaaaaaaa

Can you order a whopper with cheese without having to shut your engine down? No? Can you sneak in the driveway late after a night out without waking the wife and neighbors? No? Do kids come running to the curb when you round the corner thinking its the school bus coming to get them? Yes.

Wap wap waaaa
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Registered

Heres a interesting article from a magazine. Both trucks towing a 10k lb trailer. 8.1L gas vs. Duramax. Both stock. on a 1300 mile trip towing thru mountains and what not, the diesel got 1.5mpg better mileage at 9.5, vs the gasser's 8mpg average. so the diesel used 136 gallons, gasser 162 gallons. Considering diesel fuel is about .40 more per gallon, the gasser used about 56 dollars more in fuel in this trip

III. Hill Climbs

Our first sustained grade was the road north out of Baker, California, through the Dumont Dunes area with the air temperature at approximately 118 degrees F. It's approximately
a 5-percent hill and the Duramax pulled it at 55 mph @ 2,400 rpm, wide-open throttle, in fourth gear, while the 8.1 Vortec
did the hill at 60 mph @ 4,000 rpm in third gear with partial throttle application. Full throttle netted 65 mph @ 4,200 rpm
for the gas engine, but road curves instigated a slight moderation of speed.

Next came a serious 9-percent grade up Townes Pass headed west out of Death Valley via Stovepipe Wells. The air had cooled to about 102 degrees F as it was now 8:45 p.m. The
Duramax started up the hill at 54 mph @ 3,100 rpm in third gear, but sharp curves had us slow to 40 mph @ 2,400 rpm in
third gear. The Vortec gas engine maintained 40 mph @ 4,500 rpm in second gear, again, speed restricted by the curving roads.

In both truck examples, the transmission temperature gauges had climbed to approximately 240-250 degrees F during the steepest part of the hill, but both dropped back to 200 degrees
or lower once we'd topped the grade. Each gauge is positioned and calibrated such that following the general temperature
trend is easy during regular driving times, but trying to decipher
specific numbers can be difficult on a steep, winding mountain
road when the driver's full attention is called for elsewhere.

Our highest-elevation test came at Sherwin Summit near Bishop, California, which tops off at 7,000 feet elevation. The Duramax 6.6L truck and trailer climbed most of the hill at 55
mph @ 2,300 rpm in fourth gear, and crested it at 53 mph @ 2,200 rpm in fourth gear, and the Vortec 8.1L made it most of the way at 61 mph @ 4,000 rpm in third gear.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Can you order a whopper with cheese without having to shut your engine down? No? Can you sneak in the driveway late after a night out without waking the wife and neighbors? No? Do kids come running to the curb when you round the corner thinking its the school bus coming to get them? Yes.

Wap wap waaaa
LOL

Diesel is the same price as gas now , noone keeps their trucks stock= +_3mpg for Diesel and a +60hp tow mode.
Oh you got a lane buddy !!

whats next you gonna try to tell me carburators are better than EFI!?!?!?

NEXT!!

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 04-02-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

LOL

Diesel is the same price as gas now , noone keeps their trucks stock= +_3mpg for Diesel and a +60hp tow mode.
Oh you got a lane buddy !!

NEXT!!
National average, diesel is .34 cents more per gallon this week.

http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/

IDK, I had a programmer on my ford 6.0L diesel. Towing the boat, I got about 9, maybe 10 on a good day with a tail wind. Hand calculated, not the BS meter on the display.

Two of our buddies went to LOTO. One had a 8.1L vortec, the other a Ford 6.4L diesel. They both filled up together when they left chitown. When they stopped to refuel together, the 8.1L truck used 2 more gallons of fuel. Keep in mind the 8.1L truck was also pulling a much larger boat.

Not tryin to say a gas is better by any means. But I think some of the diesel cheerleaders get a little carried away with their MPG claims, how they can pull 20k lbs 0-60 in 5 seconds, and climb pikes peak in overdrive maintaining 70mph while sucking down a latte, and how their engine will last a million miles because it runs the filthy fuel. gassers, esp the ford v10, are plenty capable of getting the job done.

As for the Lane, Im in for that!

7.3L chipped up excursion 4x4.
VS
7.4L Vortec Dually 4x4 with pcm tune.

Loser buys lunch?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
National average, diesel is .34 cents more per gallon this week.

http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/

IDK, I had a programmer on my ford 6.0L diesel. Towing the boat, I got about 9, maybe 10 on a good day with a tail wind. Hand calculated, not the BS meter on the display.

Two of our buddies went to LOTO. One had a 8.1L vortec, the other a Ford 6.4L diesel. They both filled up together when they left chitown. When they stopped to refuel together, the 8.1L truck used 2 more gallons of fuel. Keep in mind the 8.1L truck was also pulling a much larger boat.

Not tryin to say a gas is better by any means. But I think some of the diesel cheerleaders get a little carried away with their MPG claims, how they can pull 20k lbs 0-60 in 5 seconds, and climb pikes peak in overdrive maintaining 70mph while sucking down a latte, and how their engine will last a million miles because it runs the filthy fuel. gassers, esp the ford v10, are plenty capable of getting the job done.

As for the Lane, Im in for that!

7.3L chipped up excursion 4x4.
VS
7.4L Vortec Dually 4x4 with pcm tune.

Loser buys lunch?
You tell him Joe.......LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep,,,less moving parts....as far as efi or a carb goes their only as good as the person setting them up..you can have problems with both but way less problems with a carb..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.