Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
TopKick with 3116 Cat, and Fuller 10 speed??? >

TopKick with 3116 Cat, and Fuller 10 speed???

Notices

TopKick with 3116 Cat, and Fuller 10 speed???

Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by mittens
He had it listed for 35.... But was contemplating the trade for my truck.

I was not sure about it as on paper the truck is worth some more but in reality it's a rare and hard to sell item.
i dont like the fact that they list them as a 01 02 03 04 05??? when its the pre 2000 body style..
Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Topkicks and Kodiaks kept the older bodies and interiors throughout the production run. Parts for the cab and interior are plentiful, cheap, and easy to customize should you want to. You are going to want an Air seat if you are doing any distance.

I think the 3116 and 26 get a bad rap in many cases, yes there were some bad apples but IMO most of the problems can be attributed to heavy fleet use by operators who abused them, combined with subpar maintenance. Yes, there were some issues in the earlier years. The engines are everywhere so parts are easy to find if needed. I don't think I'd be turning one up much though.

I ran the piss outta a boom truck with one in front of a 9 speed, but maintained it well and never abused it. Never had a lick of trouble with it. The truck was a twin screw rear 70K gvw Sterling, weighed about 35K unloaded due to the counterweight, and ran well at that weight. Rig was a dog loaded above 50K total weight, and needed an exhaust brake on steep downhills when heavily loaded (heavier than you will be towing.)

The 10 speed is the only way to go, I would avoid the Allison rigs at all costs unless you enjoy driving a snail. As long as you're not in heavy traffic it will be enjoyable to drive. I doubt you will even tell your boat is behind it, other than possibly pulling steep grades. The 4x4 is icing on the cake.

If you like it, I would have it checked out by a Cat dealer, the manual trans and 4x4 are rare on trucks of this kind. I am going to guess a hauler type setup would weigh 15-18K, so you should be around 30-35K with the boat, that is not a lot of weight for a rig of that type, and will tow the boat much safer than a 2500.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00
The Topkicks and Kodiaks kept the older bodies and interiors throughout the production run. Parts for the cab and interior are plentiful, cheap, and easy to customize should you want to. You are going to want an Air seat if you are doing any distance.

I think the 3116 and 26 get a bad rap in many cases, yes there were some bad apples but IMO most of the problems can be attributed to heavy fleet use by operators who abused them, combined with subpar maintenance. Yes, there were some issues in the earlier years. The engines are everywhere so parts are easy to find if needed. I don't think I'd be turning one up much though.

I ran the piss outta a boom truck with one in front of a 9 speed, but maintained it well and never abused it. Never had a lick of trouble with it. The truck was a twin screw rear 70K gvw Sterling, weighed about 35K unloaded due to the counterweight, and ran well at that weight. Rig was a dog loaded above 50K total weight, and needed an exhaust brake on steep downhills when heavily loaded (heavier than you will be towing.)

The 10 speed is the only way to go, I would avoid the Allison rigs at all costs unless you enjoy driving a snail. As long as you're not in heavy traffic it will be enjoyable to drive. I doubt you will even tell your boat is behind it, other than possibly pulling steep grades. The 4x4 is icing on the cake.

If you like it, I would have it checked out by a Cat dealer, the manual trans and 4x4 are rare on trucks of this kind. I am going to guess a hauler type setup would weigh 15-18K, so you should be around 30-35K with the boat, that is not a lot of weight for a rig of that type, and will tow the boat much safer than a 2500.
Thanks for the info. great post.

I like the truck, but the deal is off as he is going to try and get more money out of it, but its such a rare, and certain type buyer, he may be calling me back as we are only 50 miles from eachother, and have what the other one need/thinks he wants.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Registered

Definately a catch-22 for the owner of the Topkick. It was a spendy unit when new, but with the 4x4, no hotshotter in their right mind will touch it, and the majority of Fleet users who actually use 4x4 (pretty much just utility companies) buy or lease new rigs. Plus, most of your guys looking for the occasional HD tow rig want the allison auto- though I have no idea why, it ruins the truck, IMO.

That pretty much leaves guys towing heavy boats, or someone who wants to be the envy of everyone in the Home Depot parking lot.

I have been in most of the Medium Duty, and Heavy Duty trucks on the market, with most of the drivetrain configurations, I would take the Cat over the Navistar/ IH anyday of the week. The Cummins rigs are few and far between until you get to class 7 and 8 rigs. And if you get into the big boys, I would prefer the Cat over the Cummins anyway. Best of luck...
Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Registered

To me the stretch is not helping either, i mean its a BIG truck anyway,. then ad antoher 2 feet. and its going to be VERY hard to put places.

Still look cool, and I want it. haha but it may be a night mare compaired to a regular 2500 HD.