Notices

What size truck will be needed?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
True, but Ford's are different. They have had complete evolution changes of their engines several times since 1999. Dodge has only had 1. GM has only had 1. The several evolutions of Ford's has put a lot of used ones on the diesels on the streets as folks move to the "better" diesel offering by Ford.

And, diesel price fluctuations as well as more powerfully rated gas engines have affected diesel truck prices over the past 4 years or so quite a bit; more than any other time I can remember.
yeah true. But I still think there may be better deals out there to be had even in chevy. But I think if i were to go back to diesel id take a duramax, although nothing wrong with the power strokes I had.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

If you keep searching and stay patient, you'll find a killer deal. Several years ago ('09) I did the same and eventually found an '08 Silverado 2500 LT, with custom wheels, 6" lift and only 4000 miles for $34K. I bought it on the spot! I now have j73K miles on her and she's been a pleasure. The Duramax is incredible and the Fabtech lift is top notch. I drive her as a DD and I have never had a single issue. Drives great! With the Fords, you just have to be careful with the 6.0 Powerstroke. They have some issues that need to be addressed. But again, the deals are out there if you stay patient and keep searching.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

No squat here

What size truck will be needed?-image.jpg
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chevy Kodiak. (selling one)
look in classifieds
Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

I tow my sonic 358 with my 02 7.3l F250 and it sits level just like jbraun2828's pic. Plenty of power to get it going and plenty of stopping power.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by frostyle
chevy Kodiak. (selling one)
look in classifieds

NO WAY!!!!!

Lol.....I can only imagine daily driving one of those and taking it to work lol.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Nate,
As others have said.... you never wish you bought a smaller truck. Driving a dually as a daily driver isn't that bad unless you live in a very densely populated area with lots of narrow streets. I have had several fords, one dodge and currently a 2011 GMC 3500 dually denali which is by far the nicest ride of the bunch. Its been dpf deleted, bigger exhaust, and tuner but I rarely put it above the mild setting and towing 15,000lbs from east coast to Colorado never went below 5th gear on the biggest of hills and averaged 14mpg.
Bought it with 33k on it in Dec for 45,000 (sticker is 66K) there are definitely some good deals to be had on diesel trucks right now especially in Texas and other midwest states where they are abundant.
I would stay away from the ford 6.0, if you go newer ford, be prepared for crappy mileage, The dodge 5.9 03-06 is an awesome motor but the auto tranny is weak, The duramax with some minor mods is hands down the best choice but also the most expensive.
Like I said... I have had every ford diesel from 7.3 on up, the dodge dually with 5.9, and would never go back.
I average 19 in town 23 empty on the highway, and 13-16 towing depending on load,wind,and terrain.

Good luck with boat and truck purchase!!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

oh yeah, forgot to mention it rides like a car, has black leather interior with heated and COOLED seats, heated steering wheel, nav, ipod dock and control, manual override tranny, and on and on and on..
and your girl will love it too. It's like an escalade that can actually haul something.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by high&Dry
Nate,
As others have said.... you never wish you bought a smaller truck. Driving a dually as a daily driver isn't that bad unless you live in a very densely populated area with lots of narrow streets. I have had several fords, one dodge and currently a 2011 GMC 3500 dually denali which is by far the nicest ride of the bunch. Its been dpf deleted, bigger exhaust, and tuner but I rarely put it above the mild setting and towing 15,000lbs from east coast to Colorado never went below 5th gear on the biggest of hills and averaged 14mpg.
Bought it with 33k on it in Dec for 45,000 (sticker is 66K) there are definitely some good deals to be had on diesel trucks right now especially in Texas and other midwest states where they are abundant.
I would stay away from the ford 6.0, if you go newer ford, be prepared for crappy mileage, The dodge 5.9 03-06 is an awesome motor but the auto tranny is weak, The duramax with some minor mods is hands down the best choice but also the most expensive.
Like I said... I have had every ford diesel from 7.3 on up, the dodge dually with 5.9, and would never go back.
I average 19 in town 23 empty on the highway, and 13-16 towing depending on load,wind,and terrain.

Good luck with boat and truck purchase!!
My city (Safety Harbor) here in Clearwater unfortunatly does have narrow roads and with all the blue hairs here in Clearwater any truck that takes up a whole lane is close to always being clipped by these old drivers....traffic here is pretty tight usually .

I really do think a dually would be over kill in this area and for it's use. I am looking at loaded up GMC 2500's though. Found a few more good deals....I would have to say that is the current front runner.

We have talked though and since everything is happening at once (buying. A boat, truck, and a new house) we think we are going to pay for a few months of high and dry while we get our new home search done and settled. Not really what I want but prob what's best for the time.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 04-24-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Nate, if High and dry is an option, really look hard at the numbers. It just may not be worth the cost of a diesel boat-pulling truck. It is amazing what they really cost to buy and own, and the truck may be the most expensive get-the-boat-to-the-water option you have. That being said, I just can't stand the thought of not being able to pull my boat across the country if I want to, so I own one even though it is kind of foolish.

Another point: I can drive to my lake condo from my house in 2.5 hours. But it takes 5 hours if I have to stop and hook up the boat from storage, "pre flight" the trailer, tow it at reasonable speeds, launch it, park the trailer, etc., and boat to the condo from the ramp. You may find that rack storing your boat makes boating more fun and actually gives you more time and fewer tensions with the wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.