Notices

safety chain

Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default safety chain

I was looking to replace my safety chain that hooks to the front of the boat by the winch. Whats on there looks to be a coated plastic cable more of bike lock I dont know. But the hasp on there has gone bad and I dont trust the cable. Its wrapped around the post that holds the winch.

Should I drill through the post and bolt the chain or is there some u bolts I could or should use instead.

Hopefully somebody understand this. I really dont want to wrap the chain around the post as it will probably clank and tear up the pain on the trailer.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

skip the chain and use a rachet strap. Better option IMO
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
skip the chain and use a rachet strap. Better option IMO
+ 1. A lot of the stainless hooks or clasps you see on the end of a saftey chain are not very strong and would snap if ever called into duty.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Registered

excuse my ignorance but how would you route the ratchet strap
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you are looking for is a bow safety cable/chain.

I don't think a ratchet strap will be effective if the safety cable attaches to the winch post. That cable is just a quick hook to provide some security for not losing the boat if the winch strap releases while pulling off the ramp. It really does not need huge strength rating, just enough to halt the boat should it start to slide back. A hook with operable clasp would be important so it does stay on the D ring while pulling out and towing.

A 2" ratchet strap pulling straight down from the boat D ring to trailer anchors the bow more securely than just a bow winch strap which pull horizontal. You may be surprised how much smoother the boat tows. . It removes and stores just like standard rear tie downs.
It takes a little more time to rig so I would not do it on the ramp. It is more of a final wrap up as you attach rear tie downs.

Here is an iboats thread with pics - http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topics...-299935-3.html
Old 04-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Registered

thanks you conceptualized it perfect for me, im off to the races. I bought the boat used and so I dont know the history on it. Well after three years decided it was time to replace the winch and while I was at it I was looking at the safety chain cable they had, and either the trailer wasnt truely built with a real safety chain, was forgot to be added by the dealer, or I dont know. Really all they had was a coated cable that looped around the post, im sure it would have held in a minor issue but something crazy probably not so much.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soldier4402..I work for a rigging company we do pretty much anything from custom chain, cable, nylon ratchets etc. If you get dimensions or a sketch of what you want I can give you options and ratings on differant materials.