Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Cant remove 3500# ez- laoder axle >

Cant remove 3500# ez- laoder axle

Notices

Cant remove 3500# ez- laoder axle

Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant remove 3500# ez- laoder axle

So i have a bad spindle on my trailer. Im trying to remove the axle and im stuck.

I removed the u bolts on each side (4 total) and the axle wont budge from the springs. I bashed on it with a small sledge to see if it was just stuck. It could still be since I didn't want to damage anything in case there was a step I forgot.

It looks like there is a pin or rounded bolt on the bottom of the leaf maybe going through the axle? If there is a hole on the bottom for this it is not a through hole since there is nothing on top.

Its an older ez-loader trailer with a 2x2" square 2" drop 3500lb axle. Here are a few pictures.

You can see the top of the axle in the picture above. You can also see my mediocre spindle which is the reason for this whole mess..

Here is another one

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

theirs a center dolll pin that holds the leaf springs together and the round end acts like a centering pin for the trailer axle, if the boat is still on the trailer just jack it up by the spindal and it will pop off,,just may be coroaded from the water its been in..
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Registered

You'll want to replace all the hardware anyway, u-bolts, backing plates, nuts, washers. So just take your 4" grinder and cut the ubolts near the springs. Throw everything but the springs away, and start fresh.

That's how I changed an axle years ago for the same reason, and it went very easy.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered

Easiest way to do it.

Originally Posted by Chart
You'll want to replace all the hardware anyway, u-bolts, backing plates, nuts, washers. So just take your 4" grinder and cut the ubolts near the springs. Throw everything but the springs away, and start fresh.

That's how I changed an axle years ago for the same reason, and it went very easy.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
theirs a center dolll pin that holds the leaf springs together and the round end acts like a centering pin for the trailer axle, if the boat is still on the trailer just jack it up by the spindal and it will pop off,,just may be coroaded from the water its been in..
This did the trick with ease! I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. Thanks you!

Deezy and chart thanks for your reply. The u bolts are already off. Either way I wasn't planning on reusing them. I'd like to see if I can find a shop that would weld new spindles on for me. Rather then getting a whole new axle assembly.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Assuming there are no tack welds, (which there should not be) you will need a BFH and beat the crap out of it. You can make the job easier by putting a block on a jack and putting some up pressure on the axle, just a little pre-load to help things along.

typing at same time LOL
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Registered

Glad you got it off.

Have you priced new axles? I was surprised how affordable they are, and UPS dropped it right at my door. No wondering if the welder did everything right that way. Plus, you can harvest the good spindle off the other end of the old axle, mount it to your spare tire stand, and get a spare hub assembly with greased bearings and mount on that. That way, if (when) you have bearing problems on the road, you've got a spare hub loaded with greased bearings all ready to go.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Axles are really not that expensive. I don't remember cost, but I replaced two years ago on my POS Rocket trailer, and it did not break my bank. I had them truck delivered, but if you could buy them from a retailer (maybe a camper/trailer joint near you--even Tractor Supply sells axles)--that might be easier and cheaper.

http://www.championtrailers.com/
Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by ethan169
This did the trick with ease! I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. Thanks you!

Deezy and chart thanks for your reply. The u bolts are already off. Either way I wasn't planning on reusing them. I'd like to see if I can find a shop that would weld new spindles on for me. Rather then getting a whole new axle assembly.

Thanks again for the replies.
dont know what area your in but like mentioned it would be easier to just replace it,,also check ebay,lots of axles on their...dont know what state your in but arounf me in IL theirs a guy we call the axle doctor,,he comes out by you with his rig and cuts off the old axle and welds on a new one on your rig so you dont have to remove it..he charges 500 bucks so it would be cheaper to replace the axle..