Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Towing limits (yeah, I read the sticky) >

Towing limits (yeah, I read the sticky)

Notices

Towing limits (yeah, I read the sticky)

Old 05-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mittens
its not pulling it, its stopping it.
Ding ding, Winner!!!! Stopping and lateral stability are huge factors in this, not to mention potential insurance issues if something does go south.

I've shared this story a couple times before when this subject comes up. When I bought my Formula 311, I already had a 1/2 ton Suburban with coil-over rears on it for extra support. As many other people do, I thought it would be more than enough vehicle to tow that rig. Picked the boat up in Orange Beach, Alabama. We didn't make it maybe a couple miles and I got my first taste of white-knuckle towing. Some nice lady really needed to get to the grocery store so she whipped right over in front of me. Trailer had surge brakes but it made little to no difference. Suburban went into a serious slide and wasn't about to stop. Got it back under control and avoided a disaster just 10 minutes after purchasing my boat. Then, we got onto I-10. Another complete cluster-f**k. This thing was all over the road. As soon as I got home, I immediately started shopping for a dually. Bought a 98 Chevy 3500 (this was in 2000) and it was night and day on handling. Acceleration was about the same, but It was the lateral handling and braking that really made it shine.

Fast forward a few years. Now towing a Top Gun with a 2008 F-450. Another HUGE step forward. My wife can drive this rig on the interstate with the cruise control set. Huge 4-wheel discs and engine braking will bring it to a screaching halt if need be. It's tow rating is 14K and it will tow every bit of that (and stop it). Granted, overkill for most people but I got a sweet deal on the truck and couldn't pass it up.

Take it for what it's worth, but you don't have to be towing very far for something catastrophic to happen. If you tried to panic stop or make an evasive move with that Tacoma with 12K pounds behind it, someone is going to get hurt. Sounds like you've already made your decision to borrow a friends truck, and that's great. It just kills me to hear some of the lackadaisical attitudes about towing. Do your homework and be careful. Use the right tool for the job. The life you save may be your own.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO speaking of this thread YESTERDAY afternoon. I moved my dad 330 SS from a stoarage place to the ramp. He has a 1500 2X4 Chevy. and he wont move the boat.... SO i moveit tot he ramp, and as I am backing in tot he ramp, truck is still cutting as trailer is strait on, going down hill. once the weight shifted down, it slide my 2500 Deisel, on 35 X 12.5 BFG all terrains side ways. right where it stood. all 4 brake locked.

I had to put in 4X4 and pull back up, and get truck and trailer strait in line to go down hill.