Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
How much is too much play in trailer bearings? >

How much is too much play in trailer bearings?

Notices

How much is too much play in trailer bearings?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is too much play in trailer bearings?

Had to replace one of my bearings last week. I tightened the axle nut as tight as I could with the channel locks which was more than enough to get the cotter pin through. I would estimate I have around 1/8" to possibly a 1/4" of play when I jack the tire of the ground and give it a tug. I know you don't want them too tight but this seems excessive. How could I get it any tighter or should I just take an impact to the axle nut?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally tighten them down hand tight w/channel locks, good and tight to seat the bearings and then back off just to the point where you can insert the pin. This should allow enough play to spin freely and not over heat. Add plenty of red bearing grease and you should be good to go. I wouldn't use an impact...too much force.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not have that much play, none at all really. Sounds like one of the races was not in all they way and it moved. Usually I tighten down the nut till no play, then lossen a little to get cotter key in.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

quarter turn counter clockwise after tight max.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Tighten all the way by hand....no play. Back off a quarter turn. There will be slight play but not much. TO tight is just as bad as TO loose. Often when bearings go bad the race, spindle, hub or drum also are bad even if they seem ok.