Notices

mercruiser overheat

Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
right it might have enough left to spit some water in there. Check it and change it, and try again. Other than that, you would have a blockage somewhere.
yes but as funny as it is i took the boat out today and it was fine in the 170-180 degree mark . also the water spits out like a power washer so i am pretty sure its not the impeller .
Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boatingdennis17
yes but as funny as it is i took the boat out today and it was fine in the 170-180 degree mark . also the water spits out like a power washer so i am pretty sure its not the impeller .
With this knowledge why do you think it's over heating?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
With this knowledge why do you think it's over heating?
well actually i dont know why maybe thinking its salt water build up or maybe some sort of clog , but then again thats why im here asking all these questions
Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered

Borrow a laser temp reader and confirm the temp on the manifolds themselves. Also look for steam coming out of any of the tail pipes. If temp is confirmed and there is no steam them move on bit keep your eye on the temp gauge.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

but wouldnt 170-180 be a little hot. Mine runs 140-150. but maybe on with a different thermostat.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your Alpha system is all stock you sure do have an oil cooler for eng and PS together. The drive impeller pushes the water up in the path I mentioned and it doesn't matter if the cooling system has the impeller in the engine bay or in the drive, failed impellers will pass through the system and the cooler is always where they stop because they can not pass through the small cooler holes. The cooler is located on the bottom of the block, usually on the port side. Pull the hose off the incoming side, usually the hose toward the rear of the cooler, and look right there for debris or pieces of impeller.