Notices

Heavy duty Boat tie downs

Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
pretty sure your insurance co would have something to say about it if it wasn't strapped down and I'm also pretty sure that it's the law to have any load in on on a truck or trailer straped down, It's not a theory.
Not aruging with the laws that are out there but beyond safety chains and break away, Im not so sure on the laws, or if theres something saying you have to use those straps. But of course they could probably get you for not properly securing your load. And by theory all I am saying by theory is that when a boat trailer and boat comes off a truck there is no sure fire guarentee in what will happen. Theory is just that, its proven but not proven every time. Like I said I beleive in straps and what not and with all the proper equipment you lessen the risk of severe damage you do not eliminate it.

And yes you would be wise to take all precautions to ensure you save your ace with insurance. But if the boat comes off and flips 85 times, I dont think straps would have stopped that and who knows what insurance would do or not do. I definitely think straps will help with keeping the boat to the trailer and help minimize flipping, but if that baby goes it goes and that point whether the boat stays to the trailer or not, I dont think its going to matter.

Just to end speculation. I checked. Trailers in NY must have proper light(stop, turn signals etc). Red reflectors, amber reflectors, markers lights, arranged as neccessary by length. Trailers over 1000lbs unladen or gross over 3k, must have adequate brakes. Also all trailers must have safety chains. Checked the NYS law and boating reg, no mention to transom straps. So you might be ok with insurance, but definitely no law would be broken. Again unless they got you for not properly tieing down a load. AGAIN I beleive in trailer straps and have used them and always will, and would advise anybody to use them, and if you dont use them personally I would think you would be moron. Of course I posted NY laws, which isnt every state, law, but if NY has it chances are its most strict. Im just not a fan of speculation, and brining in the old insurance scare tatic.

Last edited by soldier4402; 08-13-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder what size straps these guys were using, must have been too small. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-customer.html
Old 08-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Remember to use straps on your mower too!

https://vine.co/v/hMLVA1emhej