Notices

Locker rear-ends

Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Locker rear-ends

While complaining abt my difficulties pulling my boat out of the lake on a dirt/rock "ramp", a workmate suggested installing a locker set-up. I already have a functional limit-slip rear-end and I always spin both back tires when traction is an issue. Hard to believe a locker would make much difference in a situation like this.

Anyone have experience using a locker rear-end vs a limited-slip while retrieving from the beach?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

if yo are spinnig both tires now a locker will not be any different. a locker acts like an open rear until one side spins by a certain amount over the other side which is what causes it to lock up. generally they will stay locked untill you stop and back up while turning which unlocks them. the posi is always locked up but will break loose and slip with traction and turning, etc.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your limited slip is already doing what it's supposed to, a locker would be a waste of money.

If you do decide to go with a locker, make sure to verify with the manufacturer that it's ok to tow with it. It's possible it's changed but when I was looking to put one in my old truck years ago, it was advised not to have a locker when towing due to it locking up going around corners under load and would basically blow out the gears.

A stouter limited slip is also an option depending on the truck/axle, i.e. a Precision Gear Powr-lok is pretty tight, very little slip. Or a 4x4 since you said you were only spinning the rear tires.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Registered

I discussed this with my off-roading buddy a bit more and got a bit more clarification on his stance.
I always thought the limited-slip simply just had a pre-load on the clutches that would assure both wheels would have some torque being applied. But my buddy was telling me when one wheel starts spinning, additional pressure is applied to the clutches causing a sharp increase in torque to the non-spinning wheel, which breaks it loose due to the inertia of the spinning wheel and driveshaft. Then you have both tires spinning and traction is almost completely lost.

The lockers he was referring to were the air lockers that when actuated, prevent the spider gears from rotating so there's no abrupt torque increase from clutches slipping, then locking up. He admitted the benefit in a situation like at the "ramp" would be minimal, but under certain circumstances (like large loose rocks) might be just enough to make the difference.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Sounds like your limited slip is already doing what it's supposed to, a locker would be a waste of money.

If you do decide to go with a locker, make sure to verify with the manufacturer that it's ok to tow with it. It's possible it's changed but when I was looking to put one in my old truck years ago, it was advised not to have a locker when towing due to it locking up going around corners under load and would basically blow out the gears.

A stouter limited slip is also an option depending on the truck/axle, i.e. a Precision Gear Powr-lok is pretty tight, very little slip. Or a 4x4 since you said you were only spinning the rear tires.

I would go with the air locker if I did install one. It would only be used to get the boat out of the water and up the incline, no turning. Once at the top, it would be turned off.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Registered

keep what you have it sounds like its working well just change lub every 30000 miles
Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
I would go with the air locker if I did install one. It would only be used to get the boat out of the water and up the incline, no turning. Once at the top, it would be turned off.
I've got the electronic locking rear on my F150, and it works great. With the flip of the switch, both wheels are locked in. It does seem to make a difference, rather than 1 having to break loose before the limited slip kicking in, both wheels are locked up prior to anything breaking loose (traction wise) THen if that doesn't work, I can always put it in 4wd.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Multiple lockers available besides the arb air locker for less money. E-lockers work great as well. Auburn, eaton, and others. It will help with with both axles locked together compared to one spinning then the clutches engaging knocking the other to spin..
Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered

Thx for the feedback guys!

I had initally just compared the Detroit locker aginst the ARB air locker.

The Detroit locker is cheaper and all mechanical, but some complain abt it being too noisy for a truck that spends 99% of it's life on the street.

The advantage of the Air Locker is there's no noise and the differential acts perfectly normal when it's not engaged.
Disadvantages are you need an onboard compressor and the air lines are suseptable to damage. Proper air line routing would be critical.

However, having an onboard compressor might come in handy for other things, like adj tire press out in the middle of nowhere or whatever.

I'll have to look into the electronic versions.

My plan is to sell my 2wd and buy a 4wd.

Thinking abt using front and rear lockers with 4wd. That would be the ultimate set-up for beach launching!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Registered

Have you tried more weight in the bed?

Just get the 4 wd and be done with it.
Its going up a ramp not bouldering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.