Notices

Couple questions

Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Couple questions

I recently ordered a 14 ram dually. First question is what's the offshoreonly of truck forums? I'd like to post the following question. I'm interested in American Force 22" wheels. I'm curious how large a tire I can go without having to lift, level, or anything else? Not a mudder. Pull a 36 nortech.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.dieselbombers.com/
Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Congrats! I am on my 6th Cummins and love them! Just picked up my 13 2wd. I would have waited for the 14 with air suspension if I was ordering a 4wd, and will be ordering a 15 before we know it.

I personally have a love hate relationship with OSO but am still very addicted and overall enjoy!

The diesel forums are 10 TIMES worse! Very hard and time consuming to find any info without every thread getting derailed by keyboard cowboys. More uneducated people giving advice they shouldn't be. Just more people and more crap to weed through!

I have been on cumminsforum, turbodieselregister, competition diesel, etc.

I would start here maybe.........http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Comp D is more truck pullers and cummins forum is overloaded with blah
Old 09-20-2013, 07:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thank you. I'm excited about the truck. First dodge. It Is a 4x4. Hopefully someone on here can give me tire direction. Then I won't even have to sign up elsewhere!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I would highly advise going with a direct bolt-on wheel vs. adapters to go to the larger truck size wheels. I am running AF 19.5s with 245 series tires and no lift on my F350.

www.1010tires.com has a tire calculator. Get out your tape measure when you take possession of the truck and you should be able to figure things out. I recommend purchasing through a local retailer even if it costs more as they can help you with balance issues. You are still going to want your new Dodge to ride smooth, and remember semi truck tires are designed for durability, not comfort. If you can find a local retailer with a road force balancer; even better. My local Ford dealer has a nice machine; and some great techs. I've taken many wheels/tires in there for fine tuning; Ford and not.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:42 AM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

I agree with Direct Bolt on wheels NO Adaptors. The Ram's sit pretty tall and the wheel wells are pretty large. I easily clear 285/70/17 32.6" tires on my 2WD! I know a 4wd can clear 33" tires or larger if they are narrow with the correct offset.

I would hate for you to ruin the amazing ride of these new trucks with any type of suspension modification though, even a simple spacer kit will screw up the geometry. I agree it looks cool but these new trucks finally ride nice.

Good luck on your research
Old 09-21-2013, 04:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I really appreciate the advise. The truck comes with 17's. Is there any pont in changing at all is only going to 19.5? Seems like such a little jump, it wouldn't be worth it. I love the look of 22's but I don't want to screw up a brand new 72k investment.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

AF has some DBO 22 and 22.5" options.

My truck is a bit older, so not as fine tuned of suspension as your new truck; so things will be a bit better to start. However, you are still drastically going to increase the rotating mass which is unsprung weight.

Unloaded, my truck rides slightly worse with the 19.5s & 245 tires. It's pretty custom now, and never leaves the barn unless towing or going to a cruise-in though; not a daily driver.
Towing, my truck rides and tows better than with the stock wheels and tires. You are also not going to run the high PSI in them either, but you want to make sure you run enough to prevent cupping. I am running 65 front, 60 rear; which is pretty much factory PSI settings. I could go lower, and am not too worried about cupping. However, they get louder the lower in PSI you go as well.

Also, by increasing rotating mass, you are probably going to have to address your brakes. I was overheating a front caliper on my dually trying to slow down; even happened once not towing after the initial overheat. I installed new front factory calipers, Powerslot Rotors, and Hawk Pads, as well as new HD rear shoes; and have not had an issue since.

Last, the additional height of your new wheels and tires is going to affect your overall drive ratio as well. Granted, with the large new Cummins, probably not a bit deal; but something to be aware of. 2" in tire height usually drops you roughly the equivalent of 1 gear ration. Example: going from a 31" overall tire diameter to a 33" tire diameter with a 4.10 rear end, effectively now has you at a 3.73 rear end, etc, etc.

One more thing...
22" or 22.5" ?
22" tires are what you see on lifted trucks, and lowriders.
19.5 (tow trucks and dump trucks) and 22.5" tires (18 wheelers) are commercial truck tires. I am running Cooper designed commercial truck tires.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-21-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Looking at straight 22's. I think I'd like 305 50 22 tires. If they'd fit. Anyone have those tires on a dually?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The American Force wheels are awesome because they are direct bolt on, DBO. Rickson is another wheel builder who has forged DBO wheels in all sizes.
Ditto on the brakeing issue and another thing is gearing. Once the final diameter of the tire is greater than 2 inches over stock you are needing a gear change. I know there are "dudes" that run larger with no gear change but those are usually the ones with tranny problems because the drive train load ratio can exceed the trans rating with oversized tires and no gear change.
I considered oversizing my Dmax but didn't want to deal with gearing and trans mods.
Good luck with the truck, sounds like a cool ride.

Last edited by aquaforce; 09-22-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.