Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Are electric winches worth it?  Looking at a used Powerwinch rc-30 or AP3500 >

Are electric winches worth it? Looking at a used Powerwinch rc-30 or AP3500

Notices

Are electric winches worth it? Looking at a used Powerwinch rc-30 or AP3500

Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
i have an electric winch on my top gun trailer. its nice not gonna lie. but in your situation i think boat guides in the rear of your trailer would be a lot more economical and would center your boat on the trailer allowing you to back your trailer in farther. not to sound like a d!ck by any means but i think a electric winch on a roller trailer is a little overkill for a 24ft boat.
Overkill....maybe, the wife cranks up my 38 like champ she keeps asking "didn't we have an electric winch before" I tell her she is crazy, they don't even make such a thing
Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
That's good to know that it won't pop out. Not to high jack this thread but what is it that people have to stop the boat instead of the rubber v stop or grooved wheel, instead there's to small carpeted blocks the stop the boat a little lower on the haul. I've seen a lot of fountain boats have them.
Most fountains are on myco trailers, and yes twin rubber stops that hug the hull on either side, on a custom mount. They come rubber but we have to cover them because they will wear a hull through gel or paint in about 20 mins of trailering. I use micro fiber buffing bonnets, they fit tight and polish the boat haha
Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Brian,

And I was speaking more for road travel than launching. Our spring salt combined with rain will make quick work of exposed electrical connections on a trailer placed behind a vehicle. And yes sometimes we still have salt on the roads in May
Good point, didn't think of that. Has not been a problem for me as the boat has been apart by the time spring melt arrives to Indiana. this winter I may NOT have to pull the engines, I will have to remember the salt on the road issue.

Thank you,

Brian