Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Electric over Hydraulic enclosure >

Electric over Hydraulic enclosure

Notices

Electric over Hydraulic enclosure

Old 10-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric over Hydraulic enclosure

Looking for some opinions on the enclosure types and issues concerns. I'm converting my trailer this year since looks like we will be going through the mountains on the way to Florida again. The surge brake system really sucks for this part of the trip. Questions

Aluminum vs. Plastic enclosure? It will see salt 5 to 10 times a year. Though, i wash my boat and trailer every time I pull it.

Does rain water get in the enclosure while towing?

Are drain holes a must?

Should I buy a 1000 or a 1600 psi system for a tantum setup?

AB
Old 10-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC 1000psi is for drum brakes, 1600psi is for disc brakes.

I had an old cheap motorcycle trunk laying around, and used that as an enclosure for the EOH pump. Mostly for security reasons I wanted to hide the expensive pump. Not sure the pump actually needs to be enclosed though, as most are weatherproof already.

If your trailer sees salt, you'll need to get braking parts at the wheels that are salt-friendly. These cost more, but you really don't have a choice if you're backing the trailer into salt water regularly.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered

Our is not enclosed and we haven't had any issues with it. It was tough finding a place to mount it since it was after market and I wound up placing it on the tounge.

I believe you are going to have to go with the 1600psi unit. That is what we have and the total weight is about 7500 pounds with tandom disk brakes.

The only issue I had was with the wiring, Carlisle's instructions were not the best. I took it to a local trailer manufacture where I purchased the pump and we were able to figue out what singlr wire was causing the issue.

Hope this helps and it E over H made an incredibale differance!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

No enclosure, but has been working well for two seasons now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509961[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509962[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509963[/ATTACH]
Old 10-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Registered

Have you submerged it in that position? Wonder how water tight these systems are???
Old 10-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Have you submerged it in that position? Wonder how water tight these systems are???
In that position, it is VERY vulnerable. They do not need to be enclosed, but they DEFINITELY cannot be submerged; energized or not. There are printed circuit boards in there. Even if it never comes close to getting wet; you can't control that idiot wakeboard boat that throws a rogue wave at the launch ramp; your foot slipping off the brake pedal, and you rolling down the ramp an extra 18 inches, or any other multitude of slight 'wet' calamities.

Granted, it all depends on the trailer, and the boat; on how deep you have to dip to launch and retrieve. Step bottom boats often have to go into the water deeper to float over the stepped bunks vs. just get wet and slip on/off the trailer with winch, slam of brakes, or nudge of the throttles.

You want your EoH controller mounted HIGH and FORWARD. Rain and road spray will not hurt it, but you certainly do not want it getting anywhere close to getting submerged, fresh water or not.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Have not had to submerge it, ramps are nice and steep. Even ok when the local lake lice power by, it would take a crusier wake of 3 to 4 to really get it wet. Our launch ramps are no wake zones, as I suspect most others. The controller box is completely sealed.

May not be the best place for shallow ramps, but it works for me just great.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

on one of my trailers I mounted inside the tool box,,out of the way and out of sight..
Old 10-16-2013, 10:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by boatnt
on one of my trailers I mounted inside the tool box,,out of the way and out of sight..
Found pictures of boatnt enclosure, post# 21

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...ic-brakes.html
Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Submersed mine by accident a few yrs ago. Shallow ramp, kept backing in till i could get the boat on the trailer. Next thing I know is the EOH pump sounded muffled! Took a peek and it was under water. whoops Was going to pull the cover off for a look, but never did. You'd never know it was under water, never an issue, but not that I'd want to do that again. The cover isn't open on top, so it held air in it, keeping the motor dry. 1 of these days I plan to raise it up higher. Mounted where it is for a clean and out of the way(view) use.
Attached Thumbnails Electric over Hydraulic enclosure-p1010157.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.