Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Chevy 3500 or 2500 for towing a 35 Fountain? >

Chevy 3500 or 2500 for towing a 35 Fountain?

Notices

Chevy 3500 or 2500 for towing a 35 Fountain?

Old 11-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would want diesel and 4wd. I would tow 1 to 2 times a month. Most of the towing I would do would be an 1 hour to an 1hour 30mins depending where I boat at. Such as the Illinois Chain, Illinois River, and Lake Michigan. That would be the closest bodies of water by Batavia, IL. Yes I'll be moving to Batavia. On the bucket list of places I want to go at are: St. Johns River in Florida, Lake Superior in Michigan, Whitefish Chain in Crosslake, MN and 1000 Island Poker Run in Kinston, ON on the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Last edited by Captain Nick; 11-09-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Nick
I would want diesel and 4wd. I would tow 1 to 2 times a month. Most of the towing I would do would be an 1hour to an 1hour 30mins depending where I boat at. That would be the closest bodies of water by Batavia, IL. Yes I'll be moving to Batavia. On the bucket list of places I want to go at are: St. Johns River in Florida, Lake Superior in Michigan, Whitefish Chain in Crosslake, MN and 1000 Island Poker Run in Kinston, ON on the St. Lawrence Seaway.
The onlt body of water by batavia is the fox river..The only size boat that you can put is is a wave runner or maybe a small jet boat...a proped boat would rip its drive off in that area..
Old 11-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the 2500 with a duramax and 4x4 you won't regret it...had a 05, was great, now have 08, big difference in ride of the 08...
Old 11-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
The onlt body of water by batavia is the fox river..The only size boat that you can put is is a wave runner or maybe a small jet boat...a proped boat would rip its drive off in that area..
I wouldn't want to boat the Fox River. I was talking the Illinois River, Illinois Chain, and Lake Michigan. I should've been more clear.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabe
A 2500 will do fine. The 3500 is a dually and that has all kids of ramifcations. A dually is near impossible to use in a drive thru bank, etc. Your real question is gas or diesel. Diesel will give you all the power you need and then some. The gas will do the trick though too. Used 2500's in the newer body style (2009 or later) with a Dmax are available for around 40k in really good condition. BUt you gotta look hard. New they are really pricey - around 55-60.

Wannabe
This, an many others have given some bad advice and made incorrect statements. Obviously they haven't owned or driven these models. You can get a 3500 in a single axle setup. Also, the comment that the "2500 rides better" is incorrect. I have a 2013 3500, single rear axle. I tell you what, they must have done their homework because these new big diesels almost ride like a half ton, unloaded (OK, maybe an exaggeration, but they certainly DO NOT ride like a dump truck, maybe ten years ago, but not today's models). The higher rate "helper" springs don't even come into play until the truck is loaded. They are on a snubber system and barely ever make contact until loaded or if you hit one of these Cleveland potholes (sometimes can resemble sinkholes!!!)

I bought the 3500 because it was a small price increase from a 2500 and figured the resale would hold up better, and for the ratings on a gooseneck. I am towing a bit heavier than you are, however, I always believe in getting above and beyond what your requirement is, if you can afford it. Good lick with your truck hunt. Don't rule out Ford or Dodge, they all have their good and bad years. I would own any of the three....

Last edited by frickstyle; 11-09-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

you buying new or used?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Registered

I would be buying used.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Registered

I have an 05 2500 Duramax that i tow with. I run slightly more power than stock with a PPE programer and a straight pipe exhaust. It tows very well andthe ride is not bad at all. I would suggest an 08 or newer only because they dont have the transfer case issue that the older trucks have. There s a thread somewhere around here that discusses that. I'd also like to add that the modern diesel trucks are highly programmable and huge gains in power and economy can be made from a simple exhaust upgrade and careful programming. Well worth the added expense for th duramax. You will save that extra 7k in fuel over the lifetime of the truck
Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

about the only difference from 2500hd to 3500 srw are 6 leaf rear springs vs 5, and front hub assemblies are beefier than 2500, interchangeable but not the same. Spec'ed different from GM both Timken and National confirmed this. BTW 6.0l with a tune is no slouch either
Old 11-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Registered

Just my two cents, but I have a 2005 2500HD Duramax that I bought new a year before I bought my 35' Lightning. I lived in Michigan at the time and now live in South Carolina and have towed the boat to Lake of the Ozarks and Lake Cumberland several times, not to mention half a dozen trips back and forth from Michigan to South Carolina. This means going through the Smokey Mountains no matter what way you take. I can personally say you will be just fine towing with a 2500. I have towed up to 14,000#s going through the Smokey's when I had to deliver a tractor to Michigan and the load was so well distributed that it actually towed better than the Fountain does! That is the key, I have a double axle Myco Trailer and it is a little tongue heavy, but it still tows and rides great. I get about 11mpg towing and 17mpg empty and cannot say enough good things about the truck and how it rides and tows (I had a 2001 Dodge Cummins before the Duramax and it rode like a lumber truck). I'll sell the Fountain before I sell the truck, and I can only imagine how much better a newer one is! Good Luck with your search.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.