Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Chevy 3500 or 2500 for towing a 35 Fountain? >

Chevy 3500 or 2500 for towing a 35 Fountain?

Notices

Chevy 3500 or 2500 for towing a 35 Fountain?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Twins what?
And why is a gas engine pathetic? Some of the 8.1L had over 600 lb/ft of torque.

Yet another instance when you would be better off learning vs. advising.
When are you going to teach us about your boat rebuilding skills and Fast & Loud for Boats business plan?

Lol thanks I needed a good laugh today. I also agree the 8.1 gas motor had/has plenty of grunt both loaded or unloaded. 97 Chevy 3500 2wd with the 502(if the ramp isn't steep) is a towing machine IMO.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
This, an many others have given some bad advice and made incorrect statements. Obviously they haven't owned or driven these models. You can get a 3500 in a single axle setup. Also, the comment that the "2500 rides better" is incorrect. I have a 2013 3500, single rear axle. I tell you what, they must have done their homework because these new big diesels almost ride like a half ton, unloaded (OK, maybe an exaggeration, but they certainly DO NOT ride like a dump truck, maybe ten years ago, but not today's models). The higher rate "helper" springs don't even come into play until the truck is loaded. They are on a snubber system and barely ever make contact until loaded or if you hit one of these Cleveland potholes (sometimes can resemble sinkholes!!!)

I bought the 3500 because it was a small price increase from a 2500 and figured the resale would hold up better, and for the ratings on a gooseneck. I am towing a bit heavier than you are, however, I always believe in getting above and beyond what your requirement is, if you can afford it. Good lick with your truck hunt. Don't rule out Ford or Dodge, they all have their good and bad years. I would own any of the three....
Agreed. Like my 3500 Single Axle, CC LB, 2008 GMC.

As to OP question, either will tow fine. New, I bought the 3500 partially because it was actually cheaper than a 2500. As mentioned there is little unloaded ride difference and a heavier tongue will not sag a 3500 spring pack like a 2500 will. Forget Denali, those are softer yet.

If you are considering GM, don't be a poser and "level" the front end. This is when front end wear and damage occur unless done right (few are)
TRUCKs have a rake because when it is used as a TRUCK, bed weight compresses the softer springs that gave a decent unloaded ride and the TRUCK is now LEVEL. Not nose high creating steering and headlight issues.

A dually does shine in its element, Control. The extra width that is an inconvenience around town is better than rosary beads when you go into an unexpected corner a little too hot. The rear end will stay planted and not push, especially important with surge brake trailers.

Summary, open your options to either. I would lean toward SA if it is a daily driver, Dually will make distances a little more comfortable if it is primarily a tow vehicle.
Wife will probably feel more comfortable in a SA but empowerment, confidence, open highway and slowing down a little will give you a few hours nap on long drives.
BTW, notice the truck is level when loaded. Yes, this is a legal tow in the states we traveled.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 11-15-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Also, if you are in the snow, dually is worse than single, another big reason I went single. I drive my truck to work everyday, including winter....
Old 11-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

2500 is plenty of truck for a 35 Fountain.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
A gas will be pathetic towing it
8.1l / Allison package towing:

While not the greatest, far from pathetic. Especially stop light to stop light the 8.1L/ Allison gets up and goes, where my 7.3l was a lazy bi tch.