Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Enclosed car hauler info request on Pitfalls and areas of issues or best builder >

Enclosed car hauler info request on Pitfalls and areas of issues or best builder

Notices

Enclosed car hauler info request on Pitfalls and areas of issues or best builder

Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed car hauler info request on Pitfalls and areas of issues or best builder

Guys can anyone offer advice on enclosed trailer or Car hauler with tandem axles
Looking to purchase a used one a few seasons old 22-28' with 5200 lbs axles.
Who makes quality unit ? What should I keep eye out for when inspecting trouble areas / fasteners
If One manufacturer is better for value or hold value on resale please chime in.
Thank you.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

If you are looking at a used trailer, Quality of build is less important than quality of care, especially if it is a few years old. The "cheap" trailers will show wear much faster than it's quality counterparts. That being said, I have seen some VERY well built trailers, beat to crap in just a few months. It will be obvious to you when looking, how well a trailer has held/will hold up. The places to look when searching, is under the trailer, look at the frame, is there rust? Also see how the doors line up, do they still have good gaps. And lights.... This can be the biggest pain in a trailer, how easy are they accessible when the need to be replaced or how are the wires ran through the frame for easy accessibility, or too easy where they will get caught on something. The only other thing to check is the brakes, for wear. Tires, expect to change them unless they are new, If they are original or older,expect to change them, wear is not really important, because the will likely have weather checked or dry rotted.

Personally I have owned many trailers over the years, For Steel trailers, My Storm trailer has been the best I have ever owned (30' enclosed, smooth side etc) I also just purchased a Look Trailer (16' enclosed) for hauling just the bike. They used to be called Pace Trailers, the quality is there and in the last couple of years, they have made them look much nicer with the additional color and polished panels. But basically most trailers are the same, they have to be to get their designated ratings, but the easiest way to see the quality is look at the welds, seams and if they have been painted on the frame. Seems like most companies are using Dexter Axles now, so again, they are about the same. You just have to decide if you want spring or torsion axles. And what price range you want to be in. The glitzier the trailer, the more they cost...

When it comes to Aluminum enclosed: ATL and Featherlight are both excellent trailers, Featherlight is more money.... Their name, certainly is respected in the industry and you will pay for it!

Trailers hold their value quite well if they have been taken care of, expect maybe.... a 20-30% drop in value from new to used. Look around, depending on what you intend on using the trailer for, the more budget trailers cost new, will be what you pay for the older quality brand trailer, but the new one comes with a warranty,

The only other thing I can suggest is get an equalizer hitch and a sway bar attachment, regardless of trailer, it will make the hauling of the trailer MUCH more comfortable regardless of what you are pulling it with, and it is also easier to make it run "flat" with your truck which also helps in the longevity of your tires and wheel bearings.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Registered

Thank You for the detailed responce, there seems to be many low cost built brands on market now
Try to relate this to boats and sometimes worth it to pay more and buy older Bertram than New buyliner for resale or long haul.
Will take your equalizer hitch idea A1 and purchase used set up on craigslist....
Old 11-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I've got a used weight distribution hitch setup for sale, depending on your location (it's really heavy). It is the round bar style and rated at 750 lbs tongue weight.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hands down,,feather lite the best...lite and a strong and the best resale value.

yes you are going to pay more but they tow way easier then a steel trailer..example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Featherlite-...-/190964610148

Last edited by FIXX; 11-14-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Registered

Thanks for Link wish it had aluminum floor.
Keeping and Eye on racing Junk site.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While Featherlite is among the best. GoldRush of Denver, PA is top of the line.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
hands down,,feather lite the best...lite and a strong and the best resale value.

yes you are going to pay more but they tow way easier then a steel trailer..example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Featherlite-...-/190964610148
I'm not disagreeing, except... If you are looking at a trailer under 30' and have the correct truck to pull it, there is little difference in the way they pull or ride. (I actually think the heavier trailer pulls better, less bounce) Over 30 and going Gooseneck, or double stacker. BIG Difference, aluminum pulls way better.

Something else to consider is V-Nose or Straight front cap. For storage or cabinets, the straight is a better fit, but for pulling, I get better mileage with the V-Nose. Just depends what you are wanting, and overall use.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Registered

Just looked up Gold Rush Trailers wow they are very dear.
Never Seen G/R on the road

Did find specs on featherlite
Featherlite 4926 24' Car Trailer
New
Type: Tag-a-Long
Length: 24ft.
Width: 102in.
Height: 78in.
Model Year: 2012
Make / Manufacturer: Featherlite
Model: 4926 Car
Axles: (2), Torsion

2012 Featherlite model 4926-24 Car Trailer
24' L x 102"W x 24' L (28' overall length)Black exterior .040 exterior skins
Aluminum extruded floor
36" side door with screen
Beaver tail
Full height and width rear door
LED exterior lights
4- stainless steel swivel D-rings
2 5/16" ball coupler
Plywood lined 4' high interior
Interior 12V dome light w/ wall switch
16" wheels 8 lug
4.8K axles, electric brakes

Curb weight 3500 pounds

Last edited by Cigar Boat; 11-14-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:12 PM
TMR
Registered

ATC trailers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.