Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Ford Settles Claims on 6.0 Diesel engines >

Ford Settles Claims on 6.0 Diesel engines

Notices

Ford Settles Claims on 6.0 Diesel engines

Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine is an 06. I ran mine on a hot tune from 32k-84k. Since I bought a much heavier boat I dropped it to the tow tune because I dont have gauges in it to monitor egt's. As far as the every truck has its problems, the 7.3 fords have crappy transmissions, the dodges are a great engine wrapped with a crappy truck all around, the chevys have trans issues injector issues and an independent front suspension, the 6.0 fords have the head bolt issues and egr cooler issues. I am well aware that everyone knows a truck that doesnt fit these sterotypes, nonetheless these are all common problems. I just wanted to state my great experience with the 6.0 since I have had the problems fixed.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ttuton
Mine is an 06. I ran mine on a hot tune from 32k-84k. Since I bought a much heavier boat I dropped it to the tow tune because I dont have gauges in it to monitor egt's. As far as the every truck has its problems, the 7.3 fords have crappy transmissions, the dodges are a great engine wrapped with a crappy truck all around, the chevys have trans issues injector issues and an independent front suspension, the 6.0 fords have the head bolt issues and egr cooler issues. I am well aware that everyone knows a truck that doesnt fit these sterotypes, nonetheless these are all common problems. I just wanted to state my great experience with the 6.0 since I have had the problems fixed.
The IFS is not a problem until modifications take place (torsion bar cranking). The ford and mopar front ends eat ball joints. The Allison transmission in the GM is superior to both ford and mopar...GM has trans issues? Enlighten me. The GM injectors did have their issues nearing 10yrs ago now and GM stood behind them.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock ones faired no better..just different issues, some were fine others you could not keep out of shop...ones with programmers killed pistons, and ford would not warranty those, the 6.4 were not much better, jury still out on 6.7, can tell you this have one in my shop right now, $72k+ unreal...drove it...not impressed with the power...truck, platinum 450, is very quiet/nice...but for that kind of $$$$ better be..
Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
The IFS is not a problem until modifications take place (torsion bar cranking). The ford and mopar front ends eat ball joints. The Allison transmission in the GM is superior to both ford and mopar...GM has trans issues? Enlighten me. The GM injectors did have their issues nearing 10yrs ago now and GM stood behind them.
IFS just does not make sense to me on an HD truck. As far as the trans issues just going off of what the guys in my area that run GM'S tell me about their trucks. The Allison may be superior to the Dodge trans.and the 7.3 ford trans. but not the ford 5or6 speed trans behind a 6.0 or newer ford.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I actually like the IFS front suspension. Granted its not best for lift kits and not as strong as a solid front axle, but they work. Good ride, good turning radius, fairly simple to work on. My 97 Chevy is still on the original ball joints, actually entire front end original except for pitman arm with 95k miles. My Ford's ball joints were shot at 60k miles, awful turning radius (2004 with leafs), and had issues with the locking hubs all the time. Another thing I noticed about my 04 Ford, was the power steering sucked at idle when parallel parking. I don't know if it was just my truck, but when standing still and cranking the wheel it was like it had minimal steering assist.

I will say the 6.0L had good power for the time, liked the trans, and I thought mine was a good looking pickup. At least back in 04 when it was new it stood out compared to most other 99-04 trucks. [ATTACH=CONFIG]513682[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]513683[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]513684[/ATTACH]
Attached Images    
Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ttuton
IFS just does not make sense to me on an HD truck. As far as the trans issues just going off of what the guys in my area that run GM'S tell me about their trucks. The Allison may be superior to the Dodge trans.and the 7.3 ford trans. but not the ford 5or6 speed trans behind a 6.0 or newer ford.
HMMMM? Is that why F650 and F750 come standard with Allisons? I would venture to guess that your friends GM trucks with problems are self induced with programmers and not giving the trans proper learn time.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
HMMMM? Is that why F650 and F750 come standard with Allisons? I would venture to guess that your friends GM trucks with problems are self induced with programmers and not giving the trans proper learn time.
The 5R110W is stronger than the Allison behind the duramax. Totally different tranny in the 650 and 750's.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

04' Excursion Owner here,,,,,,EGR Delete, Straight Exhaust (no muffler / Cat), SCT Tuner (set to towing), oil change every 5k..............only issue ever had is the Trans Temp Sensor failed.............140k miles to date and the past 30 is a lot of towing 10-12k lbs..........can't complain at all.

On the other hand a friend of mine has an 05' F350 and the head gasket let go at 40k......
Old 12-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

[QUOTE=ttuton;4037033]IFS just does not make sense to me on an HD truck. As far as the trans issues just going off of what the guys in my area that run GM'S tell me about their trucks. The Allison may be superior to the Dodge trans.and the 7.3 ford trans. but not the ford 5or6 speed trans behind a 6.0 or newer ford.[/QUOTE)

The 07 and older Gm Hd's had some transfer case problems with pump wearing thru the bottom and the junk G80 lockers break in 11.5 rear ends and most owners never even know it but other than a few solenoids/prndl switches and trans lines I have yet to have a duramax in for a trans overhaul in my shop , the ford 4r100's and dodge 618's have helped support my boating hobby however!!! Have still not seen a ford 4r110 either except 1 I bought to tear apart to look at for when the day comes one comes thru the door!!, Smitty
Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you MT...power steering does suck at idle, and the hub problem is typical of fords...all my 250 had it (2001-2004-2006-2010)...gently tapping the solenoid under the hood helps a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.