Notices

All Season / Winter Tires

Old 12-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a big fan of dedicated winter tires. In my state of Washington we can run studded tires and I do. I run them in matching sets of four.
I do get a little bit of humming at freeway speeds but I feel this is a small price to pay for the traction. I've driven back from skiing in
6 inches of fresh snow in complete confidence in four high. I do have positraction and even with the winter tires the rear of my truck will
step out on ice in two high on occasion. I do carry 40 # of kitty litter in the front of the bed to put a little extra weight on the rear tires as well as to sprinkle it
for additional traction. I have yet to need the kitty litter or the chains that I carry. As mentioned above, you don't want to go wide tread for winter.
The more agressive the tread pattern the better the grip but in turn you get more road noise and less fuel economy. I drop about 2 m.p.g. with the winter tires on the highway.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frickstyle
I have the OE Michelins on my truck which almost bought be a FedEx van last weekend. Great for freeway driving, quiet, but horrible on any type of snow/ice.

Any suggestions on tires for all season or winter conditions? Anyone know what the biggest tire size you can put on a stock 2013 GMC 4X without rubbing?

Thanks.
go to tirerack and but the tire and wheel pkg...you want 235/85/16 0r 17 which ever rim size you have now..just buy yhe rim pke and install them..i reccomend the firestone winterforce..10 ply tire,,they will screach on ice!..i just put a set of blizzaks on my sisters land rover,,she was like OMG over the weekend.these tire are gr8 in the snow and ice..i have the winterforce on my beemer and i drove it up north in a blizzard and the car didnt skip a beat..they rock....the 235/85 tire plows through the snow with ease and they have 7'' w of tread and are 32'' tall..they cut rite through the crap like butter..i have 470,000 miles on my suburban so trust me i have had a few sets of tires on it from oe general tires to 265 75 16 good years gsa's to michilen ltx ms same size(worst tire i ever bought) bfg's which wer metter and not a set of firestone destinations which were good but suck on ice and now i just put winter tires on it and holy cow,,should have done it years ago..pick the size you want to go wit and either look on craigs list for a set of stock rims or get their cheeze steel rims..if you have 17'' rims then i would go with the 235/80/17..
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....WFLT&tab=Sizes
Old 12-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I put the Firestone Winterforce on my rear wheel drive Crown Vic. What a difference they made! I really liked them
Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I currently have a new set of Cooper AT3 tires on my f250. I am in Buffalo NY. We got pounded with snow all week. They have been amazing. Cheap too $660 taxed and on the truck.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 79formula
I currently have a new set of Cooper AT3 tires on my f250. I am in Buffalo NY. We got pounded with snow all week. They have been amazing. Cheap too $660 taxed and on the truck.
I am a big fan of Cooper Tires. I've run them for years and they have always done great for me in the snow. I currently have Cooper Discover AT3s on my winter/errand beater Dodge 2500 and am very happy with them. I have Cooper designed big lug 19.5" tires on my dually too, but it's laid up for the winter.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have Falken Wild peaks on my dually. But I don't take it out in the snow. They lay enough salt on the roads here to raise your blood pressure on a ride to the store :/
Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Michelin ltx m/s2. The best all around tire I have ever used. Plow truck, tow vehicle, SUV. I live in the " snow belt" south of Buffalo and drive through some of the worst conditions in the country. The set on my 4 Runner have 60,000 mi. and are 1/3 worn. Even though there is currently a recall on some, I would not hesitate to buy them again.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, bigger is not better for snow and ice. Nor is it good for front end component life or mileage.
Pretty sure 33" is the largest you can run stock.

I know another guy around Ohio that raves Hankook RW11 iPike is great for ice/snow and year round. I run Hankook ATM RF10 and like them. They don't stock the iPike around here so I have never seen one in person.

On skinny tires. Stock for my 2007 LMM is 265/70/17. I was looking for potentially better snow traction, running a little higher psi to prevent my TPMS from alarming and slightly cheaper. I replaced one pair in spring 2010 when I wanted to have new tread for better wet steering/braking with 265/70/17. Winter 2010 I replaced the other pair with 235/80/17.
Results - Don't really know if there was an ice/snow difference
Higher pressure does reduce TPMS light (should not be an issue with your 2013 since they lowered the TPMS threshold about 2009)
$20/tire cheaper

Bad news is - skinnier, 235 tire does spin easier if throttle is moderate upon take off on wet asphalt or rounding a corner that I don't notice when the wider 265. I assume due to this, they are both about the same tire wear with the 265 at 34k and 235 at 29k. You may not have as much problem with feathering the throttle because the LMM was set to be more aggressive on the peddle curve. LML takes a deeper press to get into the throttle so some people felt it was not as fast or powerful when it first rolled out.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
I wasn't being a dick. I'm serious weight = traction.
I know you weren't trying to be, sorry if I came across like that.

The problems I am having is with braking and pushing the front end around corners.

Truck is a 3500 completely stock. I agree, wider is more problematic in the snow. I am more interested is a little taller tire than stock, they look kinda funny on the GMs, like they are a little small.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will start hunting for a tire this week.

Last edited by frickstyle; 12-19-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to stick with a 17" rim - you will save on the cost of the tires. Best to go with a set of 17" OEM rims for winters and save your larger rims for dedicated summer tires. Try and leave any after market rims for summer only use as they don't tend to hold up very well against the road salt and other chemicals they put on the roads to clear the ice.

I live in BC Canada and travel all over the province and have spent many miles in white-out blizzards. The Michelin LTX "Winter" tire (not the M+S tire) is good and the Bridgestone Blizzak works well - currently on a brand new set of 17" LTX winters (load E) on my 2013 GMC 2500HD. My brother in-law raves about the Firestone winter tire as well on his F250 - I have no first hand experience with the Firestone winters but have not heard any negative news either.

BTW - don't confuse the Michelin LTX Winter with the other Michelin LTX tires. Only the "winter" tire is recommended for winter driving conditions - the rest of the line are mostly all seasons that do not meet the winter tire ratings. You want to have a Mountain symbol with a snow flake in it to indicate a "winter" rated tire. M+S is not a winter tire rating!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.