All Season / Winter Tires

Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Chase; 12-20-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 12-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Another vote for Michelin LTX MS2's here. I'll never put a different tire on my trucks/SUVs. They're pricey compared to others but 100% worth it.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Nokian, the best winter tire I have ever driven. Even their summer tires are good in the winter!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

My buddy and I run the BFG All-Terrains, he went with the skinnier tire with a higher load rating on his F250, I went with the 285's on my Suburban. We both drive off road in deep snow and find these tires do exceptionally well. I drive a ton of highway miles and I drive really hard and I get 70-80k on a set of tires. I do a lot of driving in Northern Michigan and in the UP in the winter. I've driven on ice and snow covered freeways they were threatening to close and you couldn't get me to try another tire if they were free. I have a place in Northern Michigan on Lake Huron and we get a lot of lake effect snow that's more like ice crystals. We drive until we can't go forward and then hike the rest, when it's time to leave I just back out. I once towed a 6000lb boat 285 miles in an ice / snow storm, cars were going everywhere, I was stable as a rock. I have over 285k on All-Terrains and they have a customer for life.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I happen to do wholesale/retail tires and have about 15yrs experience. Just went with a set of General grabber at2's on a good friends 2013 duramax. He was frustrated with the stock Michelin AT2. That truck has 18's (265/70R18) and we jumped it to a LT275/70R18 which is 34.1" overall. Also we've run Mastercraft AXT's(cooper private brand aka AT3), and Hankook Dynapro ATm (RF10) with a lot of luck. I'll second a few of the votes for the Michelin M/S2. They are a great tire as long as you intend to stay on the road, but they don't "look" as cool as s BFG, or the prior mentioned General's and Mastercraft/cooper, and are plain worthless offroad. As a general rule in the Northeast, I recommend winter tires on most vehicles with 4x4 trucks being the exception. A proper set of A/T's will do 85% of what a snow tire will, and will be significantly better year round.

If you want to go bigger you really need a 2" leveling kit for the front. That will let you clear 33's.
17's go to 285/70R17
18's go to 275/65R18
20's go to 275/60R20
Old 01-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Registered

What is everyone's opinions on either of these tires. My tire guy likes these 3 for a good all around tire for a 04 Chevy 1500 Z71 4x4. Doesn't see much mud, mostly just rain / snow and the usual daily driving. I also pull the boat with this.

I'm just looking for a good all around A/T tire. I don't want to get too radical with a tread pattern, I don't want to hear the hum. I've had the BFG A/T''s on an S-10 ZR2, great tires but not what I'm after anymore (if that makes any sense).

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...ERER-A-T3.aspx

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/dueler-at-rh-s - currently has these

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/...-at-revo-2-eco

Or any other recommendations. My tire guy wasn't fond of Goodyears,

Thanks
Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mac, does a leveling kit wear on any of your front end parts faster, Current tire 265/70/17 so would the next size up be 285/70 17.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
My buddy and I run the BFG All-Terrains, he went with the skinnier tire with a higher load rating on his F250, I went with the 285's on my Suburban. We both drive off road in deep snow and find these tires do exceptionally well. I drive a ton of highway miles and I drive really hard and I get 70-80k on a set of tires. I do a lot of driving in Northern Michigan and in the UP in the winter. I've driven on ice and snow covered freeways they were threatening to close and you couldn't get me to try another tire if they were free. I have a place in Northern Michigan on Lake Huron and we get a lot of lake effect snow that's more like ice crystals. We drive until we can't go forward and then hike the rest, when it's time to leave I just back out. I once towed a 6000lb boat 285 miles in an ice / snow storm, cars were going everywhere, I was stable as a rock. I have over 285k on All-Terrains and they have a customer for life.
Same here, BFG AT guy for life. I just put a set on my 94 Bronco, man those things have a tenacious grip in snow. I have had them on the last five or so Broncos and Explorers and get similar miles out of them (70k ish). Just for kicks i priced other budget tires and even if i went with the cheapest comparable tire in the same size it was only like a hundred forty in savings over the BFG's. Not worth it for me, although i will say this i did have a set of the Mastercraft AXT's on an Explorer and, although not a great off road or snow tire, it wore pretty well and was a pretty good road truck tire.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-27-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I love BFG AT KO's. Have had them on many, many vehicles over the year. Best looking AT tire out there IMO. I stopped buying them in 2006 as my final few sets took so much weight to balance them and I only got 22K out of the 265/75/16's I had on my 2004.5 2500 HD Dmax. I was running a 40 HP Predator tow tune, lots of in town driving, and towing an 8K load quite a bit during the summer. That is the least milage I ever got out of a set of tires. I thought about giving them another try on my current truck but the 20's are just outrageously expensive at $400 + a tire.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrant
What is everyone's opinions on either of these tires. My tire guy likes these 3 for a good all around tire for a 04 Chevy 1500 Z71 4x4. Doesn't see much mud, mostly just rain / snow and the usual daily driving. I also pull the boat with this.

I'm just looking for a good all around A/T tire. I don't want to get too radical with a tread pattern, I don't want to hear the hum. I've had the BFG A/T''s on an S-10 ZR2, great tires but not what I'm after anymore (if that makes any sense).

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...ERER-A-T3.aspx

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/dueler-at-rh-s - currently has these

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/...-at-revo-2-eco

Or any other recommendations. My tire guy wasn't fond of Goodyears,

Thanks
I've ran the Revos before. Great tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.