Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Weight Distribution Systems vs. Air bags 2010 F-150 >

Weight Distribution Systems vs. Air bags 2010 F-150

Notices

Weight Distribution Systems vs. Air bags 2010 F-150

Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Well at least I didn't post a picture of our forecast down here

It's all good.

Where in Florida you planning on going to?
Old 12-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manasota.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 266 Likes on 93 Posts

Most on here know I will support your choice of tow rigs. Not everyone needs a semi to pull a Bayliner. However I am a fan of a well setup and maintained tow rig and trailer. Sounds like you are on the same page, and on your way to perfecting your combination.

Firestone Air Bags. Enjoyed them on my last 5 trucks. Tried the more expensive and "better" Hellwig big wig only to exchange them after they failed for another set of Firestone. Annoying.

Congrats on your upgrade to EOH brakes! You will love them.

I am sure you know this but make sure your truck and trailer tires are inflated to max cold psi. I usually run the trucks steer tires 10psi less.

Enjoy your trip south and keep us updated on how it all worked out!

Pics involving your truck, boat, and some girls wont hurt either
Old 12-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

This thread caused me to look more into our setup; 2010 Chevy 3500 Duramax DRW. Put a Putnam receiver on it but the truck is only rated at 13,000lbs on traditional towing. The Donzi weighs over 13,000 itself plus fuel plus weight of the trailer puts us way over. If going long distance we try to trailer with low fuel but doesn’t always happen. The truck pulls it like it’s not there and with 3 axels of electric/ hydraulic disk brakes, it probably stops faster with the boat than without. Fortunately we trailer 95% of the time about 2 miles from our hanger to the ramp but going to have to look into a 450 or larger for the long hauls for poker runs etc. The Formula with fuel, trailer, etc will be under the 13,000 so not worried about it and that’s the boat we take back and forth from Indy to Florida each year.

Just because the truck can pull it and stop it, even 100% safely, isn’t going to mean squat if you are involved in an accident and are planning on relying on your insurance company to cover you, you had better think again. I know we aren’t the only ones pulling this large of a boat (or larger) with a 1 ton dually because I see quite a few with this setup. Better safe than sorry
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
This thread caused me to look more into our setup; 2010 Chevy 3500 Duramax DRW. Put a Putnam receiver on it but the truck is only rated at 13,000lbs on traditional towing. The Donzi weighs over 13,000 itself plus fuel plus weight of the trailer puts us way over. If going long distance we try to trailer with low fuel but doesn’t always happen. The truck pulls it like it’s not there and with 3 axels of electric/ hydraulic disk brakes, it probably stops faster with the boat than without. Fortunately we trailer 95% of the time about 2 miles from our hanger to the ramp but going to have to look into a 450 or larger for the long hauls for poker runs etc. The Formula with fuel, trailer, etc will be under the 13,000 so not worried about it and that’s the boat we take back and forth from Indy to Florida each year.

Just because the truck can pull it and stop it, even 100% safely, isn’t going to mean squat if you are involved in an accident and are planning on relying on your insurance company to cover you, you had better think again. I know we aren’t the only ones pulling this large of a boat (or larger) with a 1 ton dually because I see quite a few with this setup. Better safe than sorry

Help me understand why your responding? Because it's clear that you haven't read this tread from the beginning. First, I ask for experienced users of the equipment listed in the heading. A new truck wasn't listed. Next, I listed the spec's, did you look at that or just completely disregard facts? Lastly, i see your Duramax only tows 13K???? really? Is that why your looking at a Ford. Is that why I need a 1 ton truck? You can start a new tread answering that one.

Thank you to all the people who answer with an educated responses. Firestone air bags should be on order soon. I don't see enough benefit to the WD setup.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

abmotorman, of you are considering airbags my I suggest taking at look at this set up.

http://www.activesuspension.com/

I had this on our GMC 2500 and it was great. It lifted the rear of the truck slightly, it did not take away from the ride and when I came across a "washboard" road the rear end stayed hooked up.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Help me understand why your responding? Because it's clear that you haven't read this tread from the beginning. First, I ask for experienced users of the equipment listed in the heading. A new truck wasn't listed. Next, I listed the spec's, did you look at that or just completely disregard facts? Lastly, i see your Duramax only tows 13K???? really? Is that why your looking at a Ford. Is that why I need a 1 ton truck? You can start a new tread answering that one.

Thank you to all the people who answer with an educated responses. Firestone air bags should be on order soon. I don't see enough benefit to the WD setup.
Sheesh, you should take a look at the thread about being negative in the general section. I like Ford just as much as Chevy so if you want to start a brand pissing match it won't affect me because I'd be perfectly happy with either. Fact is, I don't want to pull my 6 figure boats with anything that would put them out of insurance coverage God forbid something happen.

You're probably right though, your truck can certainly handle the weight considering you are wanting airbags

Happy holidays!!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Highly recommend bags!

Here is the system I put in my 84 1 ton. I did it for a bit of a different reason! wanted to lower the truck and remove some of the leafs but be able to maintain the same capacity! Worked like a charm!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Registered

I remember the tread a while back when you did this. Made that truck look pretty damn cool. Probably rides better too.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
I remember the tread a while back when you did this. Made that truck look pretty damn cool. Probably rides better too.
Truck rides so much softer with some leafs removed but when I need it I just pump up the bags and the 800lb tongue weight doesn't even phase it!