Notices

what will tow better ?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an old 2500 with extra tow package and extra springs for a fifth wheel,Sold the 1/2 ton Burban[ATTACH=CONFIG]515412[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]515413[/ATTACH],
Attached Thumbnails what will tow better ?-img-20131205-00963.jpg   what will tow better ?-oakville-fourth-july.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

That's it, Im getting a Tundra. Just look at what it can do! I think that suspension was just fine. I bet it woulda pulled this Baja just fine on the interstate at 70mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lr60GCuOwU
Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515414[/ATTACH] We towed it with my sons Ford but its right on the edge. My SRX doesnt quite cut it,
Attached Thumbnails what will tow better ?-milton-20130814-00695.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I went from a late model lifted 3/4 ton crew cab short bed ford with all the bells and whistles to a far cheaper slightly older pre emissions dually ram. Now when I go from the 31' to a 38' I know my truck can handle it. Take your time and look around, I got lucky and stumbled across a rust free southern truck in my area after 6 months of searching.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
so towing 1 38 fountain with a toyota truck might be dangerous ?
When I bought my boat 87'imp Eleganza ( in my sig) everybody knows are obviously HEAVY for a 25'. The previous owner stated and I quote! "I used to pull that boat with my 86' MONTE CARLO" !!! No joke! Guy was serious! And people I also knew to back it up! Although guess that was safe in te 80's??? Here's what I had FWIW and I couldn't have a red truck and blue boat! Besides the SS had a 3200 stall converter and built Finishline built trans and a 2.3 whipple.

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 12-30-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

My 2006 6.0L, 4-speed auto, 3.73 rear Denali XL had more towing power than my current 2010 5.4L, 6-speed auto, 3.73 rear F-150.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Engine power is a small percentage of what makes a tow vehicle worthy. Have you even seen a fully loaded class 8 semi tractor zip from 0-60 like a race car when coming from a red light? Even the medium duty rigs like a F650 , don't have all that powerful engines. Its not about how fast you can go 0-60 or climb a hill pulling your trailer. You can walk into a Kenworth dealer and buy a semi tractor with a 300HP cummins, or a 600HP cummins, but the engine size has no bearing on what the vehicle can legally carry. Point is, you can skimp on the engine, but you cant skimp on the chassis.

I find it amazing that in the world of commercial trucking, god forbid a trooper or DOT officer stops you and you have a turn signal bulb out, or 1 out of your 18 brake linings are out of spec by 1/8th of an inch, your shutdown. But, guys can pull recreational trailers around, with underated hitches, tires, trucks, barely functioning brakes, and so on, but don't get a second look.

I saw this guy last year at a fuel station. This is your typical, stopped at walmart, bought a hitch ball because my vehicle has a hitch, and go buy me a boat. Gonna haul the wife and kids up to the lake for some family fun. Not realizing he's a weld away from killing his family, or some other poor person, because he refused to do his homework on the proper tool needed for the job.
Attached Thumbnails what will tow better ?-img_0504.jpg   what will tow better ?-img_0505.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Engine power is a small percentage of what makes a tow vehicle worthy. Have you even seen a fully loaded class 8 semi tractor zip from 0-60 like a race car when coming from a red light? Even the medium duty rigs like a F650 , don't have all that powerful engines. Its not about how fast you can go 0-60 or climb a hill pulling your trailer. You can walk into a Kenworth dealer and buy a semi tractor with a 300HP cummins, or a 600HP cummins, but the engine size has no bearing on what the vehicle can legally carry. Point is, you can skimp on the engine, but you cant skimp on the chassis.

I find it amazing that in the world of commercial trucking, god forbid a trooper or DOT officer stops you and you have a turn signal bulb out, or 1 out of your 18 brake linings are out of spec by 1/8th of an inch, your shutdown. But, guys can pull recreational trailers around, with underated hitches, tires, trucks, barely functioning brakes, and so on, but don't get a second look.

I saw this guy last year at a fuel station. This is your typical, stopped at walmart, bought a hitch ball because my vehicle has a hitch, and go buy me a boat. Gonna haul the wife and kids up to the lake for some family fun. Not realizing he's a weld away from killing his family, or some other poor person, because he refused to do his homework on the proper tool needed for the job.
nice bent reciever and all..i had a customer drop fis f 350 off on friday,,he is my neighbor.i know he pulls a 14' dump trailer with it filled to the gills with clay,dirt and concrets..i saw a shi tty hollow reciever witha 2 5/16 ball all rated at 6k and knowing he pulls that trailer with this truck...i removed the reciever and pitched it...today he asked if i saw the reciever and i told him yes its in your dumpster where it belongs..then i had to educate him on why he needed a solid bar reciever and a 12k ball..
Old 12-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2001 1500HD for 10 years. Loved the truck. 6 liter towed my boat great anywhere I went. LOTO to Torch lake. Family out grew it. I sold it to a buddy and bought a Yukon Denali XL with the 6 liter. Still pulls my boat great.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS

When I bought my boat 87'imp Eleganza ( in my sig) everybody knows are obviously HEAVY for a 25'. The previous owner stated and I quote! "I used to pull that boat with my 86' MONTE CARLO" !!! No joke! Guy was serious! And people I also knew to back it up! Although guess that was safe in te 80's??? Here's what I had FWIW and I couldn't have a red truck and blue boat! Besides the SS had a 3200 stall converter and built Finishline built trans and a 2.3 whipple.

Going to quote myself but I didn't know exactly what my truck could handle but it has a total trailer load of 10,400#'s and my total boat setup fully loaded on average is about 6,500 according to my pops. (We have the same boats) and mine is lighter then his. I think I'm good with my 1500 w/ max tow package. But would you experienced haulers think my truck could handle the average weight of a 32 active thunder for example? Don't mean the thread highjack but there is some good info on this thread. Thanks "also keep in mind boat ramp is 2 miles from my house/ and farthest I would haul is 50 miles up the creek.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.