Who tows with 2WD?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

<-----happy 7.3 owner here too!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Zero problems on Michigan ramps with 2wd Cummins Rams, 2wd freightliner, 2wd International pulling 33 Outlaw.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:48 AM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used an old GMC 2WD dually for years to pull my 42 Harley up the ramp. Boat and trailer weighs in about 19,500 lbs. It never ever spun a wheel. Now I have a Kodiak 4500' and it works the same except I don't have to hold the gas pedal to the floor while going up hill.

Save your money and buy a 2WD if getting the boat up the ramp is your only concern.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

We pulled the rough rider several times with a 3500 dually 2wd, got a little tricky at one ramp on the river but we got out. Not sure what the boat on the gooseneck myco weighs but its a lot.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tow with a 2wd lowered square body dually. The trailer has EOH on two of the three axles. Never had a problem pulling out of a ramp! Many are amazed when they see how well it pulls up the ramps, the 800lbs of tongue weight probably helps! Boat and trailer are about 9000lbs

Old 01-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That truck is slick. You just don't see them in that shape, anymore. I'm going to start getting all misty-eyed for the days when radios had 2 knobs and cars/trucks had sealed beams. And nobody used "liter" to describe a motor.
The boat looks good, too!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously the only time you may need 4x4 would be on a wet ramp . Make sure trailer is adjusted so there is plenty of tongue weight . The light weight of the back of a pickup is the big problem .
Originally Posted by Speedracer29
So....
Who tows (launches) with a 2WD?
What's your tow rig?
What kind of weight are you dragging out of the lake?
Any occasion where you NEEDED 4WD, and conditions that necessitated it?

I ask because I upgraded the boat (3600# dry weight on tandem aluminum I-beam trailer),
but not the truck (2WD S/Cab Silverado, G80 Locker, A/T tires). I'm planning on venturing away from my known, moderately maintained, concrete boat launches this summer.

Looking for real life experiences on the subject. Let the horror stories commence!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
So....
Who tows (launches) with a 2WD?
What's your tow rig?
What kind of weight are you dragging out of the lake?
Any occasion where you NEEDED 4WD, and conditions that necessitated it?

I ask because I upgraded the boat (3600# dry weight on tandem aluminum I-beam trailer),
but not the truck (2WD S/Cab Silverado, G80 Locker, A/T tires). I'm planning on venturing away from my known, moderately maintained, concrete boat launches this summer.

Looking for real life experiences on the subject. Let the horror stories commence!
you should be fine. my last boat was 6500lbs with trailer and only needed 4wd once. I was using a ramp that was concrete but had a ton of slime, sticks and trash on it. you could barely walk on it without falling. that is a extreme case. other then that one time I have launched tons of times in 2wd. just don't get the back tires wet and you will be fine. btw, i was towing at the time with a 2500 ram.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never needed 4wd with one of my trucks, the next required it almost all the time, and this is with same boat (27 Fountain)/trailer, and at same ramp. Both those trucks mono traction. Current truck never needed it yet with the 32, but it is posi. I think tire designs was the biggest factor. Some tires just don't do squat
Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by motor
Obviously the only time you may need 4x4 would be on a wet ramp....
Not true. I've been stuck on solid ground wet grass before when towing the boat as well, and needed 4x4.

A little trick on a wet ramp when you are in trouble:
With a skilled driver in the truck AND boat, you can use the boat to push the rig up the ramp.
You have to know the ramp and have your timing down though. You need to pull the throttles back, shifters to neutral, and shut them down before drying out the impellers. We've done it before at the 14th street ramp in Pompano.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-05-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.