Notices

Who tows with 2WD?

Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515800[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]515801[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
That is a sweet R/C boat!! I want more details on it!
Sunrocket24 Thanks When I bought the 402 I was searching the net trying to find info and kept running across these International hobbies rc boats. They were made in the mid 80's are fiberglass and gelcoat 57" long a 1/9th scale of the 402sr1, all collectors items. Had to have one. found a bare used hull, then the scale outdrives, striiped and re gelcoated the hull, painted to match the big one. everything hard to find and not cheap, and never did rc boat prior.Took a year but finally had it running at the lake this summer. want to get a video next summer of the big one and little one running side by side.
Attached Thumbnails Who tows with 2WD?-engines.jpg   Who tows with 2WD?-outdrives.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 32' CC and we fish it all over the mid-atlantic NJ, NJ, MD, VA & NC so we always have tide issues at ramps. We have a 4wd but towing with 2wd is easy!!!

Getting up some of the ramps for us is difficult, we switch to 4wd about half the time to reteive the boat, do we have to - maybe not. I just rather not have tire spin if I don't have to since we have 4wd anyway. I have had my share of very low tides and having to put the trailer off the ramp and into the mud/sand to drive the boat on and without 4wd we would have had to wait for the tide to come in otherwise.

We drive to NC in the afternoon, fish the next morning, get done fishing, load the boat, wash it and leave Oregon Inlet by 1:00pm the latest and are back in NJ that night so for us we don't want to ever waste time getting the boat out - that's just my 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris302
[ATTACH=CONFIG]515800[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]515801[/ATTACH]

Sunrocket24 Thanks When I bought the 402 I was searching the net trying to find info and kept running across these International hobbies rc boats. They were made in the mid 80's are fiberglass and gelcoat 57" long a 1/9th scale of the 402sr1, all collectors items. Had to have one. found a bare used hull, then the scale outdrives, striiped and re gelcoated the hull, painted to match the big one. everything hard to find and not cheap, and never did rc boat prior.Took a year but finally had it running at the lake this summer. want to get a video next summer of the big one and little one running side by side.
That's awesome!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always use 4x4 at the ramp. Rarely ever need it, but the reason I do it is so that the parking brake holding power is transferred to the front tires as well. Once I'm straightened up and right before the boat starts going in the water, I switch it so 4x4 and finish backing up. Same thing when loading back up.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I towed my boat with a 2wd Dually. I only had one time where I couldn't get up the ramp. it was raining out and just wasn't happening. A friend had to pull my truck and boat up ramp with his 4x4 truck. I have since gone to a 4x4 myself. One thing I didn't like about the 2wd, was the lack of 4low. I hated the sound of the engine lugging and trans slipping coming up the ramp. With 4low, she creeps right up .
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris302

That is amazing!! I have a big collection of vintage 1980-90's R/C boats (electric) and I know of International Hobbies! I never knew they made scale drives back in the day that is so cool!! Can't wait to see a video!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sunrocket24 Thanks the outdrives were made by AMPS agnew model propulsion systems back in the 80's real hard to find.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a 2wd 7.3 Dually Stick.....pulling 11,000 out at a couple of different ramps.....had to have guys on the tailgate to make it happen...

Truck is gone now....4wd excursion 7.3 will never let me down at the ramp.

It's not that you need it everyday.... but one day you will
Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dd24skater
Had a 2wd 7.3 Dually Stick.....pulling 11,000 out at a couple of different ramps.....had to have guys on the tailgate to make it happen...

Truck is gone now....4wd excursion 7.3 will never let me down at the ramp.

It's not that you need it everyday.... but one day you will
Just make sure those Ford front hubs aren't frozen and turn freely! Ive had to manually lock them before at the ramp
Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Just make sure those Ford front hubs aren't frozen and turn freely! Ive had to manually lock them before at the ramp
True, true.

They are vacuum operated, and can not engage due to getting grimy and seizing; or a vacuum leak--or a combo of both.
I have Warn manual hubs on mine now. They went on when the front wheel bearings and ball joints were done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.