Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Looking for basic Trailer tires. Any recommendations? >

Looking for basic Trailer tires. Any recommendations?

Notices

Looking for basic Trailer tires. Any recommendations?

Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, one other brand I had really great luck with, Kumo. That was on a triple with 14" tires. They were also Outlined white letters that are very nice looking.
Only ever look at D or E rated tires, everything else is a blowout waiting to happen.

To add, now that is ironic, I just heard a trailer go by with a blown out tire and they are just dragging down the road. hahaha

Last edited by jvthundercat; 01-23-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by jvthundercat
Depends. What type of Ol' Boy are you?

Are you the WalMart type - Goodyear Marathons

Cheap internet tires - just name most brands here.
Loadstar not too bad.

But if you want to put your big boy pants on.... Maxxis.
I have owned every trailer type under the sun including owning a Equipment Rental Store.
I have had every problem with Trailer tires on the road including ripping off fenders, tearing sheet metal, wiring etc.

I put a set of Maxxis on and never looked back including a 1500 mile trip and they still have no wear on them or scuffing.

This is the set I got this summer with some Sendel Viper rims. I bought them from discount tire, had them mounted, balanced and road warranty. If I get a flat, they fix it or replace it for three years.
Good info and thank you for sharing. Maxxis tires are made in Thailand, FWIW.

I just acquired a trailer and it came with brand new 14" tires. They made the trip from TX to VA with no issues. Upon closer inspection, they are cheap Wal*Mart brand bias ply C range tires. The spare on the trailer appears to be close to 40 years old.

I've decided to move up to 15" wheels and tires, and can't fit anything bigger than a 205 75 15 for tire choice.
Doing a little digging, Maxxis is one of only a few tires I could find that comes in D weight rating; with a radial (steel belted) construction.
$240 for a pair on eBay with free shipping.

The Goodyear Marathon does not even come in a 15" and D load rating.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-23-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I've also come across Westlake Trailer tires in small 15" sizes (205 75 15) which are D load range; 10 ply.
They appear so have some good reviews across the web that I have found so far. They are made in China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-FOUR-ST-20...11fde2&vxp=mtr

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517031[/ATTACH]

It's a good looking tire, but that's not exactly what counts.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for basic Trailer tires. Any recommendations?-%24-kgrhqrhjc4fcfpsthvlbqs7dzlonq%7E%7E60_12.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would put made in USA LT tires on, I have had to many bad experiences with Chinese tires. When I bought my Chris Cat it had Chinese made LT tires that were recalled (importer went belly up) and had to put on a brand new set +spare- $ 900 at Discount tire.

Just my $ .02
Old 01-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Registered
VIP Member

+1 on the "Don't do China tires!

Thailand, and a few others are not the same. The only problem with Maxxis, is they keep running out of stock. The RV crowd is going to them in droves according to what the tire shops tell me.
Plus I spend the extra money for two triple and two single wheel covers, the good one's with backing. This will give a lot more life as well.

With eight on this one trailer, I have put over 2600 into it for all this.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
I would put made in USA LT tires on, I have had to many bad experiences with Chinese tires. When I bought my Chris Cat it had Chinese made LT tires that were recalled (importer went belly up) and had to put on a brand new set +spare- $ 900 at Discount tire.

Just my $ .02
I have not found an LT tire in 14" or 15" that is less than 28" in diameter.
I agree with running LT tires, especially if you have 16" wheels; or can fit 16" wheels and associated tires on the trailer.

There are 235/75/15 LT tires, which are about 29" in diameter. But that's usually too large for a trailer that was designed for 14" or 15" wheels.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I have not found an LT tire in 14" or 15" that is less than 28" in diameter.
I agree with running LT tires, especially if you have 16" wheels; or can fit 16" wheels and associated tires on the trailer.

There are 235/75/15 LT tires, which are about 29" in diameter. But that's usually too large for a trailer that was designed for 14" or 15" wheels.
I looked at all those options as well. By the time you get the weight rating up high enough, cost is a lot greater.
The only thing that I could not get was Outlined white letters. You can get Kumo's in a 14 for that though. Tirerack is where I bought those.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Is the Maxxis tire "that good" that the price point is above even the Marathons?

Or are they priced highest due to demand?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Is the Maxxis tire "that good" that the price point is above even the Marathons?

Or are they priced highest due to demand?
In a comparison, I would not take FREE Marathons if I could pay full retail for Maxxis. It is not worth the trouble to me with the "life" experiences that I have had.
Yes, they are that good. No heat build up, no scoffing. I have gone through a new set in less than 1000 miles just from turning with a triple before.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Brian, my new ST225/75/15 Goodyear Marathons are D load rated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.