Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Your Favorite Trailer Bearing Lube >

Your Favorite Trailer Bearing Lube

Notices

Your Favorite Trailer Bearing Lube

Old 03-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we used to use the mystic grease as well have also used the lucas green no probs either way.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
What do you consider to be the best trailer bearing lube? I used Lucas Red & Tack last year, seemed good......
That is what I use also.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the red disk brake mystic grease as well. Had a coupler stick holding the brakes on slightly once and had no bearing damage. Kinda funny watching the cars swerve trying to get away from the huge smoke cloud from the brakes and grease cooking off the rotors. Luckily, I didn't have far to go but it was almost all down hill which didn't help.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520599[/ATTACH]I got the new to me trailer for the DCB from Mystic in Florida. Needed to tow it back to Kentucky empty. It looked good just very dirty, etc... I've been around the block several times with used trailers and I have yet to buy one that had been maintained properly. I knew this time it would be different. In Florida I inspected the tires, they were the originals from 2004 except for one new tire. I knew the tires would need to be replaced. I pulled the bearing buddy caps off two of the wheels. I could tell that they had new grease recently. I thought okay everything is probably going to be good with this one. When I pulled the wheels off I found a crack in the front axle, all the rubber brake lines , were clocked so that they were rubbing the trailer frame when the suspension would move(even rubbed the paint off the frame), one broken lug stud, cracked rotor, all discs with significant surface rust. So I decided to rebuild everything, pulled the calipers and hubs. The castle nuts on the axles were so tight that I couldn't even budge them with a large crescent wrench. I could not believe what a hack job had been done on the maintainence. Anyway got a new axle new hub, bearings, seals, pads, lines, had the rotors turned. I will put it back together right and know it's right. Looks like some kind of mechanic probably did the work. Think most people don't care much about doing things right.
I bought one boat that the owner had just had a marina redo the brakes, bearings, etc.. before he brought it to me. It was a mess even had one brake line that was not inserted into the caliper. Had a plug that was undersized electrical taped into the female fitting of the brake line. Would have thought he lied to me except he showed me the bill from the Marina. Bottom line, I think if your get a used trailer, assume everything is bad and redo it.
Attached Thumbnails Your Favorite Trailer Bearing Lube-photo-2-.jpg   Your Favorite Trailer Bearing Lube-photo-8-.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

For the most part, I dont buy into the idea, that some magical 10 dollar a tube grease is going to keep my bearings from failing. What will, is lack of grease! Or rust/water contamination, cheap china crap, improper bearing torq, etc.
So how about filling the hub completely with grease, so there is no cavity left to hold water that will seep in when launching ? Surprised how many trailer hubs just have a minimal amount of grease in the bearings, and it is orange. Orange due to the rust that forms when sitting and rusting due to being half full of water. Amazing how hubs that are completely full of grease leave no room for water intrusion !
Old 03-22-2014, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly O
So how about filling the hub completely with grease, so there is no cavity left to hold water that will seep in when launching ? Surprised how many trailer hubs just have a minimal amount of grease in the bearings, and it is orange. Orange due to the rust that forms when sitting and rusting due to being half full of water. Amazing how hubs that are completely full of grease leave no room for water intrusion !
I always fill the hub completely with grease. I don't know if that is the right way or not? My thinking is that air in there would expand and blow grease out the seals, and that like you say there is not room for water?
Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly O
That's the idea with the easy-lube hubs that you pump the grease through the spindle to the back of the cavity. It pushes air and water out the front.

Centrifugal force and heat causes the grease to displace as you drive, hence the need to refill every once in a while.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

I am a fan of the Lucas Red & Tacky. I carry it with me in the grease gun on ALL transports, and I always top off the buddy bearing before I leave with a boat. It seems to blend well with what ever is already in the bearing and so far.... Has worked out well.

It is not the most expensive, but at the same time, not the cheapest. I figure if a "farmer" came up with it and it worked so well he can now sponsor football stadiums, well it cant be all bad!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Old Thread... But I'd like to put in my 2cents, about the full hub packing. I've packed many many many wheel bearings for anything you can think of. Including wheel bearings front and rear on many Nascar Cup ,Truck ,Nationwide Cars . We never leave any air voids in the packing grease if possible. We even made a vibrating plate to lay the hub assembly on to settle all air pockets out of the grease. The grease wont expand ( only the air does ) and had very few problems. Only at hard braking places like Martinsville did you have any grease problems. But brake temps were up to 1500-1600 F . We all so used Amoco Synthetic Grease , But Mobil 1 Red was almost as good. Proper pre load on the bearings is the key, better alittle to loose , than alittle to tight. But the best option is Oil Hubs , with gear lube in them for bearing life . Sorry bought the Wall O Text.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
Old Thread... But I'd like to put in my 2cents, about the full hub packing. I've packed many many many wheel bearings for anything you can think of. Including wheel bearings front and rear on many Nascar Cup ,Truck ,Nationwide Cars . We never leave any air voids in the packing grease if possible. We even made a vibrating plate to lay the hub assembly on to settle all air pockets out of the grease. The grease wont expand ( only the air does ) and had very few problems. Only at hard braking places like Martinsville did you have any grease problems. But brake temps were up to 1500-1600 F . We all so used Amoco Synthetic Grease , But Mobil 1 Red was almost as good. Proper pre load on the bearings is the key, better alittle to loose , than alittle to tight. But the best option is Oil Hubs , with gear lube in them for bearing life . Sorry bought the Wall O Text.
I'll second the bearing packing comments. I bought this little doo-hickey probably 10 years ago and use it every time:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FUuXOgodqHoA3A

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522251[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Your Favorite Trailer Bearing Lube-158100_700x700.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.