Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Weight Distribution System, Air bags or not required 2014 ,F250 Super Duty >

Weight Distribution System, Air bags or not required 2014 ,F250 Super Duty

Notices

Weight Distribution System, Air bags or not required 2014 ,F250 Super Duty

Old 03-31-2014, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Brian question: the drawbar on my truck is currently a 2 inch drop, should I just invert it to give me a 2 inch rise and flip the ball over?

Looking at the photograph more carefully, it appears that my boat is loaded about 3" too far forward from usual so that will be fixed

As far as good weight distribution system, have you heard of the new Anderson hitch with the chains? It looks like a phenomenal system!

Thanks in advance,
Barry
Old 03-31-2014, 10:31 PM
Registered

By solid bar receiver you're referring to the hitch that extends from the truck correct?

If so, I do have a solid receiver....

I think the best thing for me to do is to take my boat down to the scale with my truck and have everything weighed, truck and trailer, just the trailer then the tongue weight of the trailer to make sure I'm on the right track.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 PM
Registered

Think the best thing for me to do at this point, when I move the boat from storage is to take to a scale and figure out what the weight of the boat is along with the tongue weight and make adjustments from there.

I like the idea of pushing it back a little bit, it appears that I can go back a couple of inches without any problems whatsoever however, the tongue weight will definitely tell me what needs to be done. Also invert my hitch I go from a -2 inch to 2 inch rise!

Thanks a million for all the input, I love this site!
Barry
Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 PM
Registered

Thx! I've been looking into weight distribution systems and confused between the torsion bars and the new Anderson weight distribution system that uses chains and a giant rubber bushing to absorb any vibrations and eliminate bounce. It looks like an awesome system, I would just like to speak to somebody before spending $700 on this unit....lol

Cheers
Barry
Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

No experience with the Anderson system, but it does look interesting. I used a trunnion bar system when I was running one. But once I got my setup right, I found out I didn't need the WD hitch at all.
That Anderson setup will be much easier to put on a boat trailer than a trunnion system. The trunnion system requires a 'pole tongue adapter'.

While you are at it, make sure your drawbar and ball are rated for the weight you are towing.
Also, hitch balls wear out. They are a friction point. I replace mine every couple of years.

Flipping your current drawbar might be the right height, but maybe not. You may need one with no rise/drop, just straight back. Get the tongue weight right first, somewhere between 8-10% of the total load. Then measure where you need to be with your hitch. Maybe an adjustable hitch would work for you as well. They make some pretty stout ones.

Also, tongue weight is NOT what weight is on your tongue stand if you stick a scale under it.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-d...ue-weight.aspx

FWIW, I also run one of these on my towing setup:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....FeMF7Aod3X0AGQ
I had to modify it a tiny bit to work with my drawbar, but it's a great product.
It probably won't work with a WD hitch drawbar.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Old thread, good info:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...tch-balls.html

There have been many other threads/posts on here about Weight Distribution Hitches and the like over the years.
Often, it's someone trying to bandaid a setup. Admittedly, when I was doing it years ago, I had barely enough truck to be adequate. That's not your case here, but you must have the right setup.

Also, look at the sticker on your hitch. Is it the "Ford V-5" hitch? If so, that's really only a Class-III hitch. They named it such that it's totally deceptive.
You many need to upgrade to a TRUE Class-V hitch.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same truck amd for that load i really dont think you need the weight distro. Move her back and raise ut up. Add bags if needed and youll be set
Old 04-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

He has a 2.5" class 5 rated @14k
Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I would install airbags on the F-250 after getting the tongue weight right. I've got to believe tongue weight then will be in the 1k range which will squat the 250. I would try the rig out then. I predict you will be in good shape then. Like others have said you will be pleased with the difference. My rig looked like yours until the airbags. I think airbags/loadlevelling should be srandard on all these trucks. In my opinion the leafs on the 250's are engineered more for a smooth ride non towing. I put air in the bags when I have heavy loads in the bed. Also helps lateral stability alot if you keep the airfill separate.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Registered

I found the incredible information, just what I was hoping for!

Thank you all for your input as this has certainly given me direction!

I'll post the outcome once I've removed my boat from storage and let you know how it worked out!

Have a super day everybody and thanks again
Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.