Notices

Trailer tire inflation question

Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an example of a load range chart. Saying to inflate your tires to the maximum on the sidewall is false however it will ensure that you have the maximum carrying capacity. If given a choice to over inflate vs under inflate over inflation is better, but it does make you more supseptable to impact breaks. Meaning with out the proper load on the tire it will not flex correctly when hitting a pot hole. You can see at different air pressures in the tire you can carry different loads. With that said it does seem bizarre that a trailer manufacturer would recommend a different air pressure in the front vs. the back. That means that someone figured out that there is more weight on the front axle vs. the rear. Not ideal in my mind, I would think the goal would be to have a balanced trailer with the proper tougne weight. Just my two cents, I think it is better to use what the proper air pressure for the load you are carrying usually the trailer and vehicle manufactures get this right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521850[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Trailer tire inflation question-image.jpg  

Last edited by Questofpower; 04-11-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always run my trailer tires 5 psi under max pressure,,the pressure goes up as the tire heats up..
Old 04-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 405 Likes on 241 Posts

I called the trailer manufacturer yesterday. The label is wrong. It should have read 65psi for both axles.

Last year I ran 75psi in the front axle and 65psi in the rear. I'm going to run 75 in both now.

It didn't seem right to me either lol. I'm glad I asked!

Thanks for all the help
Old 04-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
i always run my trailer tires 5 psi under max pressure,,the pressure goes up as the tire heats up..
You are correct, tire pressure does go up as the tire heats up, but the tires always state the maximum inflation when the tire is cold. I'm assuming the manufacturer realizes the pressure will increase when hot, and has worked that into the equation. It's probably easier to use a baseline pressure on a cold tire, where as setting inflation on a hot tire will vary by the amount of heat generated.