Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
This is one reason why I'm getting rid of my 1/2 truck >

This is one reason why I'm getting rid of my 1/2 truck

Notices

This is one reason why I'm getting rid of my 1/2 truck

Old 05-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I did the same thing and didn't have a problem.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523291[/ATTACH]
Well damn! That's two engines in that Ford's bed!! Very nice, very nice indeed.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr
Airbags are nice, but can be a PITA! The last thing you need is a bag to lose air from a line that splits or pops out. I've installed numerous air cells on various trucks. They are 1/3 the price of airbags and work only under load. Check these out......

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...-air-cell.html
Then there is aways these. I ran them for several years in my GMC 2500 and they were awesome! Not only did help with loads in the bed and on the hitch it also did a great job on and off road while traveling on washboards. I would HIGHLY recommend this set up to anyone looking to improve their "rear end's" performance.

http://www.activesuspension.com/usa-contact-us-2/

Last edited by TW720HVY; 05-13-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i like the tundra but no 1/2 ton truck is safe for pulling any 38 ft boat imo.
I hear ya, currently the truck is my daily driver and tow vehicle, seems to do both well.

You guys think I am crazy, but it really tows like nothing, one hand on the wheel cruising at 75, making lane changes. E rated tires, class V hitch and air bags help. If it felt unsafe at any time I wouldn't do it. "feels" safer and more up to the task than my 2011 F250 5.4 did, no joke.

My well balanced myco trailer also gets a lot of the credit. Remember it is a fountain, so it is really a 34
Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

[QUOTE=Sunrocket24;4120475]So I'm getting rid of my useless 1/2 ton truck soon. I purchased a 1990 F250 that I am fixing up now. This is a 2011 Ram 4x4 only tow rated for 7200lbs. With the truck not loaded my 2in drop hitch is perfect. Put the boat engine in the back of the truck and now we have a problem. Had to jack the truck up to get the trailer jack down, then flip the 2in drop hitch up and move the ball to the other side to get the trailer at a safe angle. Good thing the marina that is helping me drop in the engine is only 1 1/2 miles from my house.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523273[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523274[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523275[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523276[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523277[/ATTACH][/QUOT

Sorry your not happy with your 1/2 ton truck. That's not really being fair to judge her that way though. Proper hitch height is necessary to tow with any truck. Proper loading of the trailer is also. No reason to bash the truck when its the trucks owner who loaded it Improperly. plus that's the base model stripped down truck. There are plenty of dodge ford GMC half tons equipped to handle loads better.

Congrats on your new HD tow rig but don't be surprised if that old sloppy worn out truck does not tow very well. Max out the payload of your new HD and watch her sag just as much. That's called suspension engineering....its what it does when loaded.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Air bags

When I went to sea trial my boat, they hooked up to it with a F350 V10 dually and it squatted 3-4 inches from the tongue weight. A week later, I took my 2007 Tundra DC TRD down to pick it up. I backed up to the trailer, a dealership employee lowered the tongue onto my hitch, I got out of my truck, and walked back to find his jaw on the ground. I asked him what was wrong and he replied, "Your truck didn't even squat an inch!" I laughed and said, "Only Fords and Chevys squat like women."
Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
When I went to sea trial my boat, they hooked up to it with a F350 V10 dually and it squatted 3-4 inches from the tongue weight. A week later, I took my 2007 Tundra DC TRD down to pick it up. I backed up to the trailer, a dealership employee lowered the tongue onto my hitch, I got out of my truck, and walked back to find his jaw on the ground. I asked him what was wrong and he replied, "Your truck didn't even squat an inch!" I laughed and said, "Only Fords and Chevys squat like women."

Ha. I definitely would have squatted with the mulch or engines without the air bags. But my boat doesn't squat my truck with zero air in the bags.

In fairness that ford f350 prob had too low of a hitch, once that weight transfers over it will squat anything.

On anther note doing some driveway jockey work, my friends 2012 1500 Silverado with a 2 inch rise hitch hooked to my boat just about lifted the front wheels off the ground. I think the current chevys and dodges seem to be on the light family friendly side of trucks, the Fords and Toyota seem are visibly more stout.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that is what
I was thinking . you sdhould only have 500 lbs on the hitch
Old 05-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
Was my thread about a F650 or a Ford F150?????? NO! I was showing how big of a POS my 2011 Ram is!

Good job Quinpuss and abmotorpuss on upping your post count!

And I have already had enough of IC2footwavesas8ft.

Thanks for all your great input.
Wow, didn't expect this response. I actually was implying that a little squat was ok and was designed in. Apparently, you got a little self-conscious since it reminds you of what it takes for you to piss. Ms. Squatter.

Coast guard hey? Are you on of those jokes that calls boaters skipper? Who fu*king says that? Take a chill, if we want to learn something from the master we'll just ask.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry I thought this thread was starting to run off coarse as so many threads on here do. That gets really annoying and I flew of the handle way to quick.

Skipper? Nope that's not me. You will never see me on any of your boats. I'm not in Law Enforcement part of the CG. I am always stationed on our ships but currently I am at one of our engineering centers.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
Sorry I thought this thread was starting to run off coarse as so many threads on here do. That gets really annoying and I flew of the handle way to quick.

Skipper? Nope that's not me. You will never see me on any of your boats. I'm not in Law Enforcement part of the CG. I am always stationed on our ships but currently I am at one of our engineering centers.
Not saying you were but... I stopped responding after I've had a few. Less damage control needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.